OK, I'm done with Nylguts

guitarsnrotts

Reaction score
I was just about to sell my Lanikai LSM Concert Uke because I just didn't like the sound compared to my Kamaka, Martin or Mainland when I decided that before such a drastic move I'd change out the Nylguts. Put on a set of Worth Clear Mediums and WOW. Even after a day and not yet fully settled in, the uke is now displaying the warm sweet tone of solid mahogany just like it should.

Last edited:
Changing strings can completely change how a ukulele sounds and plays.
Sometimes are ears change, don't give up on Nylguts or any string there may be a time and/or ukulele you will want them on.

I haven't played a high end uke yet with Aquilas that I liked. Not sure what it is, but don't care for those strings. However, lower end ukes they make them sound really nice and lively.

I also just put a Beansprout Banjo uke on order, and Aaron puts Aquillas on those, so I'm going to give them a real shot on that :)

Yep - I think it depends on the uke. I generally use Fremont Blacklines or Worth Clear mediums but I have Aquilas and some others around to try if I'm not liking the sound on something. Don't write the nylguts off completely, just save them for a uke that needs them.

I've never really liked the Nygluts, but they are definitely the loudest I've tried. I've tried the Worth's but had some intonation issues with them. I'll have to get another set and try them out again. The Clears sounded pretty nice. Right now I have a set of the D'Addario's on my uke. A good balance between the volume of the Nygluts and the tone of the Worth's, but definitely the heaviest guage of strings. I'm thinking of trying a concert set on my Tenor and see how that goes, but either way I'm pretty pleased with the current set I'm using. I have them on a solid Cedar top Kala.

Completely depends on the uke and how its set up. My Martin sounds better with LaBella strings than it does with Aquilas. I've got Worth CMs on it now and will have for a long time. My Ohana sounds GREAT with Nylguts, and I'll probably keep using those on it.

I'll also make a case for Galli blacks from Spain. Great strings, plain black nylon, wonderful on my Gibson banjo uke.

Completely depends on the uke and how its set up. My Martin sounds better with LaBella strings than it does with Aquilas. I've got Worth CMs on it now and will have for a long time. My Ohana sounds GREAT with Nylguts, and I'll probably keep using those on it.

I'll also make a case for Galli blacks from Spain. Great strings, plain black nylon, wonderful on my Gibson banjo uke.

When it comes to a banjouke I don't think strings make much of a difference. I have actually found I like plain nylons on my UB-2. The nature of a banjouke is they are already loud and don't need any assistance from strings.

My current string configurations:

Lanikai LU-21 Soprano - Nylguts (because I don't play this one)
Makai Pineapple Soprano - KO'OLAU Gold Low G (jury still out)
Mainland Red Cedar/Rosewood Pineapple Soprano - Worth Brown Meduims (winner)
Martin S-O - Worth Brown Mediums (winner)
Mid-70s Kamaka Soprano - Martin Fluorocarbons (winner)
Lanikai LSM-C Mahogany Concert - Worth Clear Mediums (winner)
Lanikai SM-T Spalted Mango Tenor - Martin Fluorocarbons (jury still out)

Have tried Nylguts on each of them.

Last edited:
I think that the "problem" with NylGut strings on most better-quality ukes is that the characteristic loud kind of brash tone of the NylGuts tends to bury the nicer subtleties often present on a good uke. It's not that they sound bad, so much as they don't sound as good as we expect a uke like that to sound. They're great on cheaper stuff because the loud kind of brash tone is better than the muted kind of dead lack of tone on those ukes.

Just my $0.02.

John

Aquila Nylguts are excellent on Eleukes. They help 'ukuleles that need more brightness as well, in my experience. I don't like them on my KoAloha - it's a bright, loud instrument that likes Worths (CM or BM).

It seems that naturally bright-sounding 'ukes get too harsh w/nylguts. I liked them on the mahogany Ohana I used to have, which had a naturally mellow sound.

I think that the "problem" with NylGut strings on most better-quality ukes is that the characteristic loud kind of brash tone of the NylGuts tends to bury the nicer subtleties often present on a good uke. It's not that they sound bad, so much as they don't sound as good as we expect a uke like that to sound. They're great on cheaper stuff because the loud kind of brash tone is better than the muted kind of dead lack of tone on those ukes.

Just my $0.02.

John
:agree:
I agree entirely with what OldePhart was saying about our expectations of different instruments and the type of strings that we prefer to be played on these different quality instruments. I built my own solid koa tenor, and i have a set of worth clear mediums on that and love the sound, but on my little Makala soprano, I have a set of Aquila nygluts because it gives it a louder and lighter tone.

When choosing strings, I buy them for their preformance and not their brand name as they react different on different ukuleles.. It changes the strings dynamics which changes the preformance and
gives it an option of how you would like to improve or change the sound of your ukulele current sound or voice....example..if you would like brighter of warmer sound, or cleaner sound or better playability.... and so forth....and then there's a balance or sacafrice of options, of which is more important to you.... it is a way to fine tune your ukulele to how you Individually would like it...

Last edited:
I think it really depends on each individual ukulele, and of course what you think actually sounds 'good'. I just got an Ohana SK-38 that shipped with Aquilas, and it sounded good but a little brash. Threw on a set of Worth CMs and wow, it's got an amazing rich and deep tone while still sounding ukuleleish. But the very same strings on my Mainland mahogany makes it sound a little thin.

Being a lazy one, I'm going to ask this here instead of searching for it: Is there a comprehensive list of ukulele string brands anywhere?

Top Bottom