PDA

View Full Version : I guess my UAS is cured...

OldePhart
06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
So, today I find out that I'm getting a bit of unexpected income and a new uke wasn't the first thing that came to mind. The amount is nothing life changing, but enough to buy a nice uke or what have you. I honestly can't think of a uke I need or even want to spend the money on! I pretty much play longneck soprano and tenor exclusively, and I'm perfectly happy with my ukes in those categories. I already have KoAloha and Kiwaya longnecks. The money is enough for a "K-brand" tenor but I'm really quite happy with my Mainland mango tenor with the MiSi.

Maybe I'll have a pickup put in the Kiwaya and go to Disneyland on the rest. Actually, I've been wanting a really good small bass combo amp that won't choke on the B string of my 5-string bass, maybe I'll look into that.

In any case, UAS fare thee well! LOL

John <formerly known as the artist afflicted with UAS>

hmgberg
06-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Good luck with that, John! I don't think I'll be cured anytime soon. Just trying to keep UAS from raging out of control.

marymac
06-30-2011, 01:22 PM
I know what you mean OldePhart. I've slowed way, way down on buying ukes. I actually have some more to sell. I did get a couple baritones this month but those are my first ukes since the beginning of the year. I still look at what's for sale sometimes but now I really consider whether there's something I can do with the new uke that I can't do with one I already have. The answer is usually no.

PhilUSAFRet
06-30-2011, 01:42 PM
So, today I find out that I'm getting a bit of unexpected income and a new uke wasn't the first thing that came to mind. The amount is nothing life changing, but enough to buy a nice uke or what have you. I honestly can't think of a uke I need or even want to spend the money on! I pretty much play longneck soprano and tenor exclusively, and I'm perfectly happy with my ukes in those categories. I already have KoAloha and Kiwaya longnecks. The money is enough for a "K-brand" tenor but I'm really quite happy with my Mainland mango tenor with the MiSi.

Maybe I'll have a pickup put in the Kiwaya and go to Disneyland on the rest. Actually, I've been wanting a really good small bass combo amp that won't choke on the B string of my 5-string bass, maybe I'll look into that.

In any case, UAS fare thee well! LOL

John <formerly known as the artist afflicted with UAS>

Recommend you use the Fender 75 bass combo amp as a yardstick unless you need something more powerful. Recently did a lot of research on the subject. Great value

bdukes
06-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Let's be safe and call it an extended remission or more probable, a new strain with a longer incubation period. I find it's not so much the "U" as it is the "AS" part, as you so clearly point out.

It will return. Go to the light...

But yep, I've found I'm enjoying learning and playing more than acquiring these days. And I'm surely shifting my acquisition jones elsewhere... where? Don't know for sure but I sure was excited for the Bed Bath and Beyond coupon that showed up today. That scares me.

bbycrts
06-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Hate to say it, John...but it will be back sooner or later. Mine is in remission now as I'm having a custom built and it will be one of only two ukes I own. But I know it's a remission that won't last.

Huna
06-30-2011, 03:16 PM
maybe you could get a Banjo uke if you don't have one? lol... tempted and tried, I'm oft made to wonder why it should be thus all the day long

Waterguy
06-30-2011, 03:52 PM
I have come to the conclusion that there are in fact two forms of UAS. One is the real thing and very hard to deal with. The other is the form where the person suffering is really just looking for "The One".

At some point, you found your Excalibur and I for one salute you.

Huna
06-30-2011, 03:54 PM
My excalibur is my Martin OXK! still like some others too though but I do feel like its my uke.

sukie
06-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Sigh....John, John, John......

Good for you!
Have fun at Disney.

mybote
06-30-2011, 07:41 PM
That's the spirit. I know for an absolute fact that mine, also, is cured forever.......................oh........look...... .....a flying pig.

Uke Whisperer
07-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Right John! ...and if anyone believes that, I have ocean front property in Arizona that I will sell to them, cheap.

Has anyone ever been completely cured of UAS?

EDIT: I just came-up with an idea for you. Why not replace your Pocket Uke with a custom "Concert Neck Version?

OldePhart
07-01-2011, 07:58 AM
maybe you could get a Banjo uke if you don't have one? lol... tempted and tried, I'm oft made to wonder why it should be thus all the day long

Heh, heh. Fortunately, I'm not much tempted by banjo ukes. I've tried them and they just don't grab me. I guess 'cause they sound too much like banjos... :)

John

OldePhart
07-01-2011, 07:59 AM
EDIT: I just came-up with an idea for you. Why not replace your Pocket Uke with a custom "Concert Neck Version?

Heh, heh. If somebody actually made one that probably would endanger my cure...

John

deadpool
07-01-2011, 08:07 AM
I don't believe there is a cure-only temporary remission. Isn't the first sign of addiction denial of the addiction. Perhaps for UAS, GAS, MAS, etc we need an intervention group or a 12 step program. That would work until the next piece of tempting eye candy shows up in a store or on the web then - end of remission. Good luck!!! LOL.

kenikas
07-01-2011, 11:08 AM
That's the spirit. I know for an absolute fact that mine, also, is cured forever.......................oh........look...... .....a flying pig.

Yea, and I think I saw Satan ice skating to work this morning!