New uke day! Luke Heaton Baritone

marymac

Reaction score
I bought this used but it's new to me. Just discovered a new love of baritone and this one is this one is really amazing. It's a bit deeper than the Mainland Mahogany I've been playing (and which I also love!) Made by luthier Luke Heaton from Utah. Apparently he usually makes violins and other string instruments. I had never heard of him but I loved the kasha bracing on it and took a chance. Quite lovely. Here's a link to the build of this uke on his website: http://www.whittlesticksinc.com/?q=node/215 Came with a custom Ameritage case that I think cost more than some of the ukes I've had! It's a tank. I can't imagine actually taking it anywhere in it. Anyway, uke has a lovely velvety tone. How did it take me so long to discover baritones?

Photos:

i-Pv4nw2h-L.jpg

i-fGQXXB6-L.jpg

i-2cmDXMT-L.jpg

i-MM95pfG-L.jpg

wow Mary. That is just amazing. You sure have a great eye for a pretty ukulele.

I admit too, the whole baritone thing has been lost on me since I started playing the ukulele...just didn't seem right. But gee, the more I read about them from other members and hear their rich tones, I'm starting to think seriously about trying one at some point soon too.

Yours is simply stunning mate. Congratulations on the purchase. :)

Whooooooo! What a sweet looking baritone! It even looks like it sounds amazing with the personal sound hole and all. Congratu-damn-lations!!!!!!!

PS: That case is pretty spiffy too!

Thanks Eugene and Phil. I'm pretty pleased with it! I haven't had a uke with a side port before so I was surprised and what a difference it makes to my ear. Makes me want to get holes sawed in all my ukes! Not that I ever would of course, but still, its a nicer feature than I expected.

Aloha Mary,
Congratulations...she's a beauty...wow wee have fun and enjoy...I love my baritones for picking and learning songs as it is loud and so rich and warm...
Many thanks for sharing.. many intresting designs, love it...MM Stan

MaryMac -- That is a marvelous bari.

I posted a link to your thread over on Humble Baritonics blog. Would love to hear it too! Have you posted any videos of you playing it? Jeff / Humble Uker

I posted a link to your thread over on Humble Baritonics blog. Would love to hear it too! Have you posted any videos of you playing it? Jeff / Humble Uker

Hi Jeff - I haven't made any videos of ANYTHING, but I'm hoping to do a short video showing the uke and a bit of noodling on it. I think I met you at the Victoria Vox seminar last fall. Do you go to the uke club at DaSilva's regularly? I'm hoping to go in July so if I do I'll bring the new uke. Love your websites by the way! - Mary

That's a fascinating-looking ukulele. Congratulations! I can't wait to hear it. That might be reason enough to go to one of the Wednesday night things at Mike DaSilva's studio.

Beautiful and very unique. Can't wait to hear it.

I've had a baritone on my wish list for some time but have been underwhelmed in the shops when I play them. Given they're not as popular, first they're tough to find in person, and it seems many sit so long that the strings are dead and the uke sounds lifeless. I know that can't be the case, as many a great luthier are building them as part of their line. So hearing other member's ukes is a real treat.

Congrats and enjoy.

Congratulations, beautiful ukulele and beautiful case. Recently just picked up the baritone, really digging it.

I've had a baritone on my wish list for some time but have been underwhelmed in the shops when I play them. Given they're not as popular, first they're tough to find in person, and it seems many sit so long that the strings are dead and the uke sounds lifeless. I know that can't be the case, as many a great luthier are building them as part of their line.

I think that the dead string problem may be true. What I found when I went searching in person was mostly low end baritones and vintage (some great but expensive, some not so great). Online, super expensive but no doubt great baritones. My compromise was to get a Mainland Mahogany. I loved it immediately and within a week I found a high end baritone (the one in this thread) and bought it.

I see you have a couple Mainlands: get a baritone and try it out. You know you'll get a good instrument, good setup and fresh strings, plus Mike will let you send it back if you really don't want it.

WOW Marymac, that is one gorgeous bari. I am so envious :( I love Baris and yours seems to be very innovative and beautifully done. Fascinated by the two hole placement and what it does to the sound. Does it seem to open up the sound and/or volume? Does it affect resonance and maybe not give as much inner vibration on the wood. I guess I am wondering if one can have too much open escape space for the vibrations? Lozark

WOW Marymac, that is one gorgeous bari. I am so envious :( I love Baris and yours seems to be very innovative and beautifully done. Fascinated by the two hole placement and what it does to the sound. Does it seem to open up the sound and/or volume? Does it affect resonance and maybe not give as much inner vibration on the wood. I guess I am wondering if one can have too much open escape space for the vibrations? Lozark

Hi Lozark - It has tons of resonance and sustain. The inner bracing system is pretty substantial but light and must carry the vibrations well. As to the two hole system, I know there are calculations that a luthier can do to calculate the maximum size of the soundhole and presumably someone knowledgeable can figure out the same about the side hole. All I know is that I love having the sound waft up to my ears as it flows out the front. As a player it's a delight. I only see the side soundholes on high end instruments so I can't imagine that it would dampen the vibrations too much or the high end luthiers (Chuck Moore, Devine etc) wouldn't be using this design. Mostly I just go by my ears and they're very happy! Hope this helps! - Mary

Hi Mary!! Congrats on your new uke, it's very very nice looking uke! I'm sure it must sings too...well with a large body always help for having more volume and deep low end....

I never try bari...but it must be different from let's say a tenor....

Your Ameritage case is awesome too!!!! That will be my next purchase for my Luis feu de Mesquita tenor.

It would be great to hear this beauty sings!!

By the way, if you have too much instruments and want to rid of your acoustic lap...I'm always there for that one!!! heheheh!!

Hi Mary,
I'm very happy to see that someone is loving the baritone uke that I made, I didn't know that it had changed hands from the original owner.
This uke is the the first of two that I made of that model. If you ever want more info on it let me know, and if you ever have any videos or tracks with it on I would love to see/hear them. J. Luke Heaton

Hi Mary,
I'm very happy to see that someone is loving the baritone uke that I made, I didn't know that it had changed hands from the original owner.
This uke is the the first of two that I made of that model. If you ever want more info on it let me know, and if you ever have any videos or tracks with it on I would love to see/hear them. J. Luke Heaton

Hi Luke -

Actually this uke has now gone to a loving home in Germany! Yes, you are an international sensation now :) I loved the deep body of the uke you made - great sound with from that kasha style top. The neck width of just over 1.5" was a little too wide for my hands so I passed it on to another uker but with regrets. Great work on that uke! Thanks for chiming in here on UU. - Mary

Top Bottom