New Uke Day! (Kamaka HF-4 Baritone)

saltytri

Reaction score
5888862695_20511624f0_z.jpg

I've been enjoying my baritones, so why not go for the gusto? With some very good (and much appreciated) personal attention from Andrew at Hawaii Music Supply, this amazing instrument has settled in here and won't be leaving any time soon, if ever.

A Harmony came into the house just recently and, while it has been a joy with Aquila Nylgut strings (reentrant GCEA), three baris is a bit excessive so it's gone on the block: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190550362694&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

A mahogany Pono baritone has served well and isn't in any danger of being abandoned. It is a sweet instrument, well worth having and playing, and is certainly a very good value at its price.

The Kamaka, however, is in a different league. Lots of adjectives get used here to describe the pleasing sounds of ukes but I'm going to go with "luscious" for this one. The standard Kamaka DGBE strings (two wound) are there for a reason but it will be interesting to experiment at some point with some other strings and even to try it tuned to GCEA, perhaps with the Southcoast linears. For the time being, though, the traditional tuning will keep me well occupied and entertained!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new uke!..it's beautiful.

Aloha Saltytri,
Congratulations, Love the grain and color patterns on your new Kamaka...gotta bet new strings for mine..I see you still have the factory strings on.. wait till you change them.. holy smokes..
Have fun and enjoy....thanks for sharing.. MM Stan

Thanks, Stan!

I'd be very interested in your thoughts on suitable strings.

Thanks, Stan. Those sound like good sets to start with.

I love seeing pics of new ukes with happy owners! Congratulations!

Ooo - that is so gorgeous! I thought about a Kamaka when I was looking at baritones. This one looks so beautiful - congrats!

I'm actively shopping now for a baritone, probably a Kamaka. Yours is stunning. Congratulations!

Ooo - that is so gorgeous! I thought about a Kamaka when I was looking at baritones. This one looks so beautiful - congrats!

Mary, your new baritone is no slouch either!

Congrats! Happy New Uke Day! Looks like a beauty!

Top Bottom