What a Lovely Surprise!

Foinnse

Reaction score
I came home from my homecare job this morning, quite tired out, so it was nice to have the surprise of an Amazon package sitting on the table when I cam in the door. And whats inside you ask?.....

Its my copy of "Ukulele for Dummies"!! Woo hoo! I was not expecting to get it for another week or so that was cool.... :drool:

First thing I noticed was that the authors introduction to the book, and the first few pages, are quite obviously written by "Woodshed" which is nice because it makes it feel very familar and comfortable straight away. As I have said before I love Al's website Uke hunt so I was glad to see there was a bit of his personality in the book straight off...
I haven't had a a good go at it yet but after a quick flick through there looks to be lots and lots of good stuff to work on with sections on Blues, jazz, hawaian and "Jawaian"(??) and Rock .... The book also goes over the basics like what uke to buy, how to tune your uke, strumming patterns etc as well as covering some theory like chords and scales, chord families and the three chord trick. He also speaks briefly about what accessories you might need and goes over things like how to restring and generally maintain your uke also.

Overall it looks to me to be a great resource for intermediate and improving players as well as beginners and there may even be a few things that could be of use to the more accomplished uke players also. As Al says himself this book should be regarded as a reference book rather than an instruction manual where you begin on page one and proceed in a strictly linear fashion. There is also a CD included with sound samples/examples of the various techniques included in the book. I can picture myself utilizing this book a for long time to come!

Cheers!! -F

Thanks for the review of the book. It sounds like a good addition to the libary

Thanks for the quick review, been waiting but it's not out till the end of August in the States, was hoping that it would be good.

Top Bottom