• 4 strings

Votes: 90 82.6%
  • 6 strings

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • 8 strings

Votes: 13 11.9%

• Total voters
4 strings.

if i wanted 6 or eight strings, i would play guitar haha.

But the thing is, the 6 and 8 strings are just paired with other strings so you just play them as if it were like 1 string. For the case of an 8 string uke, it's like gG - cC - EE - AA with the g's and "fred miu is the greatest person EVAR" c's and octave apart of their counterparts.

I kinda want to get a 6 or 8 string.... but I wanna see what it's like first lol

Last edited by a moderator:
But the thing is, the 6 and 8 strings are just paired with other strings so you just play them as if it were like 1 string. For the case of an 8 string uke, it's like gG - cC - EE - AA with the g's and c's and octave apart of their counterparts.

I kinda want to get a 6 or 8 string.... but I wanna see what it's like first lol

true, Diezo posted a video on how he tunes his 6 strings. i personally prefer 4 strings

btw...did you notice something about your post? ahaha

i had two six string ukes. i converted them both to 4 string. while they were nice to have at the time. i got over them pretty quickly. it was a blessing in disguise, however, since the 1.5" neck width at the nut, made them easier to pluck with. (most 4 string tenors are 1-3/8" at the nut)

so now, when i finally get started on getting my custom uke made, i know that will be one of the criteria i will request.

i have one of each. and 8 string is the most expensive for a reason. It sounds so much better you have no idea until you play on one. although i play on my 4 string most of the time, but thats only because i like to pick.
I haven't really played a 8 string but I've heard good things like it's more versatile when playing chords.

I haven't really played a 8 string but I've heard good things like it's more versatile when playing chords.

i wouldnt say its more versatile. you play it just like you would a regular 4 string. as a matter of fact, it would kinda make it a little less versatile, since you are bound by what those octaved strings will sound like.

that was one of the things that got to me with the 6 string. the C strings were octaved and sometimes when that high C rang out during some plucking, it just didnt seem right. it wasnt out of tune or anything. it just didnt seem like it belonged.

if you are going to use it mainly for strumming, a 6 or 8 would be just fine. i would recommend an 8 though.

diezo on youtube has an nice 8 string. and he makes that thing sing. i put up a video before testing out my kala when it was still a 6 string. seeso pointed out that on the doubled string, it sounded as if i has a "chorus" effect on it. i agree.

4 string tenor ukulele!!!! woooooooooooooooooo

i wouldnt say its more versatile. you play it just like you would a regular 4 string. as a matter of fact, it would kinda make it a little less versatile, since you are bound by what those octaved strings will sound like.

that was one of the things that got to me with the 6 string. the C strings were octaved and sometimes when that high C rang out during some plucking, it just didnt seem right. it wasnt out of tune or anything. it just didnt seem like it belonged.

ah i c. thanks for your opinion nuke. i like to pick more than strumming so i guess i'll reconsider. or try it out before i actually buy one. :D

I primarily play 4 stringers, but I have an 8-string Lanikai, and I'm planning on eventually buying an 8-string Kamaka and demoting to the Lanikai to another beach-uke.

8-strings are fun, and once you get used to it you can get away with picking. As a matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, Taimane Gardner plays an 8-string.

keoni makes a good point too. taimane does play an 8 string uke. and she plucks all the time.

is there any place you can test out a 6 or 8 string uke to see if it is something that you want?

Thanks for clarifying that. I like strumming and picking so having a 6 or an 8 wouldn't be as enjoyable. Well I'll still prolly get one for like jam sessions but I'm still contemplating.

i like da 4 string too, since i like fo pick. Da only 6 string i would even consider is dat Koaloha d-vi. Ya, in know, it's more like a ukulele sounding guitar, den anyting, but at least da extra 2 strings dea give you mo low range, den jus doubling up certain notes eh?

keoni makes a good point too. taimane does play an 8 string uke. and she plucks all the time.

i was just watching some of her videos and was thinking the same thing. she picks mad crazy! lol.

picking on 8 string

Wow, that Taimane is dynamite. Brilliant picking and strumming on her 8 string uke. I recently got a Pono koa 8 string tenor myself and love it. It's a bit hard to play cleanly though, it came with Koolau Gold strings- maybe Aquila are a bit lighter. Anyone have an opinion? I like picking and it sounds okay on this uke but my left hand tires too fast:( More practice I guess. Barre chords aren't easy to hold with 8 strings....

Last edited:
It's a bit of limited poll. While most of my ukes are 4-string, I also have an 8-string and like it for some songs or just as a change. It's not either-or; it complements the collection.

I disagree with the poster who sugegsted that if you want more strings, get a guitar. They're not even closely similar. The eight string is to a four what a 12-string guitar is to its native six: richer, fuller, and different. If anything, an 8-string uke is more mandolin-like, but it's a wan comparison.

Try one. You may be pleasantly surprised by the sound. It certainly adds a fullness to a jam or group session.

Last edited:
Top Bottom