Blues on the Resonator Uke—I'm Tore Down

SailQwest

Reaction score
I wanted to record something with the resonator uke today, and it just screamed out for some blues. It's been a while since I did this song, and I didn't realize until I started overdubbing the vocals that I left out big chunks of the lyrics. Oh well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvCUGlUFchs

Good job there!

In the notes on YouTube you say your voice just can't compete with the reso.

Take a deep breath. Smile. Sing from your diaphragm. Don't be shy about your voice. It's fine. Let old "slow Joe in the back row" hear it.

If I was shy about my voice -- which, face it, isn't noted for its dulcet tones -- I'd not be able to busk or do gigs.

Just sing like there's nobody listening. You will be pleasantly surprised at the results.

... correct me if I'm wrong, you live on a sailboat, right? How can you get the blues??

Gotta agree here. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments! How to respond...

awesome job Kim! i especially enjoyed your harp solo. and you weren't kidding, that resonator is loud!

It's definitely got some serious volume! My harp playings a bit rusty—I spend most of my time playing ukulele instead!

Sounds great, but correct me if I'm wrong, you live on a sailboat, right? How can you get the blues?? Does not seem possible!

Being on someone else's boat is quite idyllic. When it's your own, not so much. But it is a great escape from corporate America!

Take a deep breath. Smile. Sing from your diaphragm. Don't be shy about your voice. It's fine. Let old "slow Joe in the back row" hear it.

Just sing like there's nobody listening. You will be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Thanks for the singing tips, Hobbit! I'm not particularly shy about singing, but the resonator is really loud! I have been working at increasing my volume, but it's not a fast process.

I liked it very much. What kind of reso is that? I've always toyed with the idea of getting one someday...

This is a Johnson Resonator knock-off. It's identical to their engraved one. The only thing missing is the pearly headstock. Also Rich replaced the tuners with sealed gear tuners for me (I'm a tuner weenie), and I put on a set of Aquilas.

Right now, I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the resonator, mainly because it's too loud for me.

Great job Kim!! The combination of the resonator and harmonica were really nice together.

And seeing you sitting there relaxing on a boat while it's cold and wintery here - awesome! Reminds me that summer will come :)

Thanks, Michelle! It's kind of funny, because we just got slammed by Tropical Storm Fay. The intermittent rain kept me from working on deck stripping varnish, so I did the video instead!

Top Bottom