Worried Man Blues

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
It came into my mind yesterday to sing this song.

As usual, I went for it unrehearsed. The pick that came out worked very well, I thought. I am playing in G and using the usual chords of G C7 and D7. But I add a rather strange chord in places. It is called Gm+2 (3230) and follows a regular chord of G (0232). Here is the video.

WORRIED MAN BLUES

I haven't heard that song in too many years. Beautiful job Ken and I love the presentation.
I am trying to learn to strum like that. So far I can do it, slowly, but can't sing at the same time.
Thanks, I always enjoy your music.

Nice job on the song! I don't think I've heard that since I used to swipe my dad's Kingston Trio albums!

Pete

I haven't heard that song in too many years. Beautiful job Ken and I love the presentation.
I am trying to learn to strum like that. So far I can do it, slowly, but can't sing at the same time.
Thanks, I always enjoy your music.

Unfortunately, it is not a regular strumming pattern. There are quite a number of little runs added and it sometimes moves in just quavers (eighth notes).

However, here is the basic idea. The numbers refer to strings. P=thumb, i=index and m=middle.

p - p - p i p m
4 - 3 - 4 2 3 1 | 4 2 3 1 4 2 3 1 etc.

There is an added complication: it has a very light swing too.

Last edited:
Thanks for this one Ken. It's one of my fave American traditional songs and I really enjoyed your version of it. You always play exquisitely mate and it's a joy to listen to.

I first learnt this one many years back from - like so many others - Pete Seeger. Check his version of it too, recorded live on The Johnny Cash Show. I'm sure you'd enjoy it:

Thanks for this one Ken. It's one of my fave American traditional songs and I really enjoyed your version of it. You always play exquisitely mate and it's a joy to listen to.

I first learnt this one many years back from - like so many others - Pete Seeger. Check his version of it too, recorded live on The Johnny Cash Show. I'm sure you'd enjoy it:

Wow! I've jammed with some amazing players over the last few years, but I'd really love to have been there jamming with Pete and Johnny (and maybe Maybelle, Woody, Dyman and Cohen too).

Top Bottom