Aphid gear shift

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
The mods moved my thread, and to be honest, I can understand that, and see why. But I wanted to share the build with everyone, and not everyone goes to the luthier forum. Besides that, I never considered myself a luthier anyway. Maybe someday I can deserve the title, but for now, I like to consider myself a hobbiest. So, if you would like to follow the Aphid project in detail, here is the link to the thread in the lutheirs section.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?49451-D%FCk-Aphid-Build-Thread

At any rate. I am glad I did end up in there, because got some great advice from a couple pros, that promted a shift in gears. I was planning to use an intermal mold method, but decided to go with a half form and bend the sides with a heat pad. This it will turn out allot better. So, today I will be building a half form, and just ordered me a silicone heat pad. (BTW: I bought a big enough one in case I decide to build up to a tenor size. ;))

Hey look. I got neck... ;)

P1040711.jpg

Looking good Tony!

What kind of wood is the neck and fretboard, Mahogany (Sapele)?

Neck is Mahogany, fretboard is rosewood.

Ops.. I almost messed up. I made that fretboard out of mahogany too. I meant to cut that out of rosewood. Thanks for getting me to take another look before I went any further with that. I picked it out of a bunch of peices that were cut like fretboards, so I had assumed it was rosewood. Now, just looked at it all again, and it's all mahogany.. Oh well, I have no rosewood in that box of wood, but do have a couple pieces of ebony. I was saving those until I made a couple Aphids to tune in the process. But, I'll go ahead and cut another one from the ebony from the starting gate..

You could make your prototype fretboard out of mahogany, even stain it if you want for a contrasting look. Depends on what wood you have and how many versions you want to make. Either way it will be fine.

Top Bottom