PDA

View Full Version : Do you play any unusual tonewoods?

Uke Republic
07-01-2011, 06:16 AM
I love em all! But I was looking at Pete Howlett's Welsh Yew ukulele.I bet it would have been Robin Hood's choice:)
It seems like there are more and more different tonewoods being used. I like American cherry a lot and mango as of late. Still got keep mahogany and koa as they are so stable and sound so wonderful.Cedar and spruce topps are wonderful too. We did a LoPrinzi Flamenco styled uke with Spanish cypress back and sides. Got anything diff out there? Pono will soon have an all Rosewood model out FYI. Acacia models coming early next year from them too. Ohana will soon have some surprises but it can't be revealed .

guitarsnrotts
07-01-2011, 06:32 AM
I have a Lanikai spalted mango tenor I like a lot. The zebrawood looks interesting and Lanikai has some monkeypod models as well that look nice. I'd be interested in getting impressions on how they compare to the sound of some of the more traditional ukulele tonewoods like koa and mahogany.

Huna
07-01-2011, 06:35 AM
I have a formica I like a lot... Martin OXK

haolejohn
07-01-2011, 06:43 AM
right now my best sounding uke is my redwood top koa back and sides uke.

CoryAndTheMcAtees
07-01-2011, 06:48 AM
My main ukulele has a solid spruce top and solid zebrawood back and sides.

I love her tone. :D

ukola
07-01-2011, 06:58 AM
I have a redwood and koa uke as well. It sounds very nice, but after some time with it, I think vintage mahogany or koa sounds best of anything I've ever played. Perhaps after 30 years it will sound that great too, only time will tell.

Doc_J
07-01-2011, 06:59 AM
I don't how unusual it is but.....

...my favorite tenor uke is made from flamed cherry.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25193&d=1309539198

Uke Republic
07-01-2011, 07:11 AM
That is gorgeous! Flamed cherry or figured cherry isn't too common in the ukulele world. I love the stuff and think it will gain popularity as more people play it. I think the sound of cherry is much like mahogany mixed with some maple qualitys mixed in. Ripe and round like a...Cherry:)

I don't how unusual it is but.....

...my favorite tenor uke is made from flamed cherry.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25193&d=1309539198

poppy
07-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Compass Rose makes the prettiest ukes iv'e seen that is a beautiful uke.

Pippin
07-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Compass Rose makes the prettiest ukes iv'e seen thay is a beautiful uke.

Rick is amazing.

As for tone-woods, I love cherry, maple, koa, and mahogany. I have heard a few solid walnut ukes and hammer dulcimers and they were wonderful. I also have an Ohana SK-22Z here (solid spruce top, zebra-wood back and sides.

Kem
07-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I have two unusual ukuleles, one made of myrtle and one of spruce and ambrosia maple. They're both gorgeous and have lovely tones. The myrtle concert:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19817&d=1293824476

The maple soprano:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21694&d=1300584867

I have a spalted mango tenor and a gourd banjo tenor as well. In fact, I own only one "ordinary" solid-wood ukulele, a mahogany tenor. Weird woods are cool.

Rick Turner
07-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks for posting that cherry uke.

One of the most outside woods we build with is our local California Sycamore. I'll dig up a photo.

didgeridoo2
07-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks for posting that cherry uke.

One of the most outside woods we build with is our local California Sycamore. I'll dig up a photo.

Sycamore is so great looking. How would you describe the tone on Sycamore in relation to other more common woods, Rick?

Chap
07-01-2011, 07:47 AM
I have a Chocolate Heart Myrtle resonator from Mya-Moe that I like a whole lot. Beyootiful, and sounds great, too!

CTurner
07-01-2011, 08:35 AM
From the time I first saw it on my luthier's workbench, I was in love with sinker redwood. As part of a tenor I now own, with back and sides of pau ferro, I think it not only looks wonderful but also has a marvelous sound.

Rick Turner
07-01-2011, 08:37 AM
The sycamore has (for the lack of a better descriptor) a very airy sound. I personally feel it tilts toward being really good for reentrant tuning where I like some of the other woods better for low G. That's strictly a personal bias.

Ukes do much better with alternative top woods than guitars. Something about the size, the nylon strings, and frequency range makes the "rules of the game" quite different. We've had really good success with a pretty wide range of top woods. The only obvious one we've not tried is rosewood, but walnut, maple, cherry, sycamore, spruce, koa, mahogany, acacia melanoxylon, redwood, and cedar can all work great if properly thicknessed and braced.

bbycrts
07-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Brad Donaldson is about to start building me a soprano with myrtle back and sides and a Port Orford cedar top.

Trying to be patient. Trying to be patient. Trying to be patient....

Rick Turner
07-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Ah, yes, myrtle...the West Coast stuff, not the Aussie timber that is a dead ringer for black cherry. We've used it and it's great...as is the Aussie stuff. Ditto on PO Cedar...a fabulous wood.

UncleElvis
07-01-2011, 09:25 AM
I have no idea how it'd work as a tonewood, but my dream is to one day have a ukulele made out of Bermuda Cedar.
I might have to go hit some of the carpenters and suppliers to see if they have anything nicely cured to maybe send to a luthier to play with...

Hmmmm...

ukeeku
07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I have played and reviewed a couple bamboo ukes. I have played Thom, From the Flea bitten Dawgs, pecan sides and back w/ spruce top boat paddle a few times. I would love a Purple heart sides and back with a cedar top.

ProfChris
07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Do you have any decent yew in the US? I made my first uke from English yew and, although it's very crudely made, it has a lovely full sound- the closest I've heard to my 1920s koa Kumalae but with a bit more bass (though that mght be because it's a pineapple shape). The sawdust is awful stuff though - brings me out in a rash.

maclay
07-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Rick you forgot a few........black limba, African satinwood, pear wood, poplar, etc.

Rick Turner
07-01-2011, 11:38 AM
What are yew guys talking about?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Yew is a traditional wood for lute backs and archery bows, and yes, we have yew in the US in the Pacific Northwest. A lot was harvested for the compound in the bark, tamoxifen, which has anti-cancer properties.

Dougf
07-01-2011, 12:15 PM
My tenor's soundboard is sinker redwood. The luthier told me it was from a log that had been submerged for about a hundred years.

didgeridoo2
07-01-2011, 12:23 PM
My tenor's soundboard is sinker redwood. The luthier told me it was from a log that had been submerged for about a hundred years.

I have a piece of 100 year old sinker commissioned to a luthier to use. I can't wait. What wood did you match it up with?

southcoastukes
07-01-2011, 12:37 PM
We are fortunate to build in Central America, the world's treasure chest of tropical hardwoods. Since we're in the process of cutting back to three standard lines, we've also cut back our wood selection.

We're keeping some of the more familiar local woods - Mahogany, Spanish Cedar & Monkeypod, but we're using some other woods that are unknown outside our locale. Hopefully they'll stay that way, as it helps us control costs. Here's the current list:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/index_files/woods.htm

If one gets suddenly popular overseas, and the price and availability turn sour - it's nice to know that there are literally hundreds of other species - beautiful in both sound quality and looks - eagerly waiting their turn.

By the way - Pupleheart is also a local wood. One aspect we didn't like about it is that where some woods become more beautiful with time, Pupleheart gradually darkens to a muddy brown and loses pretty much all grain definition. Turns to a muddy brown blob. Wouldn't recommend it.

Dougf
07-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I have a piece of 100 year old sinker commissioned to a luthier to use. I can't wait. What wood did you match it up with?

Claro (black) walnut for the back and sides. The piece he used is highly figured, quite curly. I love it.

erivel
07-01-2011, 12:59 PM
My Pohaku tenor has a one piece solid Sitka Spruce top, Big Leaf Curly Maple back, sides, and neck, Bird's eye Maple fingerboard, bridge, and headplate. It's light and loud as heck!

Hippie Dribble
07-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Sycamore is so great looking. How would you describe the tone on Sycamore in relation to other more common woods, Rick?

Awesome thread Mike!

I agree didge, sycamore is a very pretty wood. Here's one the folks at Mya Moe are building at the moment:

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=455&submit=track

I love different tonewoods personally. My favorite uke is a soprano made from mango:

My second favorite uke is a tenor with walnut top back and sides:

I am also thinking about the possibility of having a resonator built at some point from quilted maple.

There is so much variety isn't there. Something to suit everyone tonally and aesthetically. :)

didgeridoo2
07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
That walnut tenor looks like a beaute, Jon. Good choice with the ebony head stock.

Huna
07-01-2011, 02:15 PM
she's good lookin' but can she cook lol

mm stan
07-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Madagascar Rosewood back and sides and spruce top.......Great thread Mike.....

ukeeku
07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Although the wood type is not unusual, mahagany and spruce. The source is pretty cool. My David Gill concert Pineapple, Mahaony sides back and neck with a spruce top, is made from old metal patterns. A pattern is a large piece of wood that is carved and used to stamp a form into sand so molten metal can be pour into it to make auto parts and other iron things. I was told the wood is between 60-80 years old before it was sliced to make my uke, and a bunch of others.

the other odd wood that David has used is aromatic cedar. I have a review of it
http://ukeeku.com/2011/05/22/david-gill-concert-cedar-fluke-full-review/

haolejohn
07-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Although the wood type is not unusual, mahagany and spruce. The source is pretty cool. My David Gill concert Pineapple, Mahaony sides back and neck with a spruce top, is made from old metal patterns. A pattern is a large piece of wood that is carved and used to stamp a form into sand so molten metal can be pour into it to make auto parts and other iron things. I was told the wood is between 60-80 years old before it was sliced to make my uke, and a bunch of others.

the other odd wood that David has used is aromatic cedar. I have a review of it
http://ukeeku.com/2011/05/22/david-gill-concert-cedar-fluke-full-review/

doesn't he recycle or reuse a lot of different wood types?

iDavid
07-01-2011, 05:18 PM
How about California Sycamore?

The gloss on this uke makes it REALLY difficult to get a good picture, but here is my best try.

Is sounds as good as it looks :)

Doc_J
07-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Wow. That California Sycamore is gorgeous! I've been waiting to to see that uke. Nice!

iDavid
07-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Wow. That California Sycamore is gorgeous! I've been waiting to to see that uke. Nice!

Thanks, yours is really nice also. I love this uke. Do you have yours in s standard tenor case?

marymac
07-01-2011, 07:11 PM
One of my favorite ukes is a Black Bear concert made of all spruce. This has such incredible tone that I wonder why I've never seen another.

Hippie Dribble
07-01-2011, 07:23 PM
One of my favorite ukes is a Black Bear concert made of all spruce. This has such incredible tone that I wonder why I've never seen another.

That's it Mary...I've heard (read?) you talking about this beautiful uke waaaay too often...and NO PICTURES...AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!! do you have any idea what you are doing to me....eugenie....where's my medication????? $#&*%GGGHHHH :drool:

um, sorry about that Mary, having a bit of a moment there. You don't, perchance, have a picture of the uke do you? :)

iDavid
07-01-2011, 07:23 PM
I would like to see pictures of an all spruce also!!!!!!!!!

marymac
07-01-2011, 07:51 PM
That's it Mary...I've heard (read?) you talking about this beautiful uke waaaay too often...and NO PICTURES...AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!! do you have any idea what you are doing to me....eugenie....where's my medication????? $#&*%GGGHHHH :drool:

um, sorry about that Mary, having a bit of a moment there. You don't, perchance, have a picture of the uke do you? :)

Whoa! Easy there Eugene! I'll take some photos for you shortly...

TCK
07-01-2011, 07:57 PM
I play all spruce top Ukes, though I have a really nice all mahogany and access to several really nice Koa ukes (like on at least a weekly basis...so why buy one?). I like traditional tonewoods, but they make a sound that is to my ear more or less predictable, and sometimes I don't want that...in fact, often. I will be investing in an all walnut like Eugene's at some point because I love the wood and the sound it makes (makes my spruce seem tame if I am interpreting "punchy" correctly)... I have the wood if I can figure out how to mill it (which I will). My wife is getting sick of the huge pile of black walnut sitting in my garage.
Have also played sinker redwood, which activated the UAS, but I figure cedar is the end off beat all for me- perfect balance to my ear...oh to only be rich.

Bao
07-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I've got one of those Lanikai Monkeypod tenors and it's playing great for me. Unfortunately i can't really compare this with other ukulele brands or wood types because i've only ever played this and a Kala KA-TE

Hippie Dribble
07-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Whoa! Easy there Eugene! I'll take some photos for you shortly...

ooooooh goodie! Popcorn time! :)

marymac
07-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Ok, photos of the all spruce Blond Bear. Sorry the lighting is so uneven. It's late here and I didn't spend much time setting it up. One of these days I'm going to get something to record audio with but it's not going to happen tonight!

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-c63L4Vh/0/X3/i-c63L4Vh-X3.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-bvmdNf6/0/X3/i-bvmdNf6-X3.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-QDW2GWB/0/X3/i-QDW2GWB-X3.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-RCFWzzF/0/X3/i-RCFWzzF-X3.jpg

marymac
07-01-2011, 08:21 PM
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-tNBQmHT/0/X3/i-tNBQmHT-X3.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-bwJV24z/0/X3/i-bwJV24z-X3.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-DbPxsrm/0/X3/i-DbPxsrm-X3.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-nnBpnj7/0/X3/i-nnBpnj7-X3.jpg

Hippie Dribble
07-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Oh, my.

That is yummy. So beautiful that one Mary. Gee. Is that a rosewood headplate, and binding? Wow the bridge pins, binding and rosette are exquisite. What are the bridge pins made from? I think that's one of Duane's prettiest, certainly that I've ever seen.

Thanks for the pictures Mary, really appreciate it mate. It's beyond gorgeous. :)

marymac
07-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Oh, my.

That is yummy. So beautiful that one Mary. Gee. Is that a rosewood headplate, and binding? Wow the bridge pins, binding and rosette are exquisite. What are the bridge pins made from? I think that's one of Duane's prettiest, certainly that I've ever seen.

Thanks for the pictures Mary, really appreciate it mate. It's beyond gorgeous. :)

Glad you like it. I think it's one of the prettiest of Duane's ukes that I've seen too. I'm owner #3 so I don't have all the details on the woods he used. His label just says Concert Spruce. The accents and headstock do look like rosewood though. I love the rosette. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is the radiused fretboard but I'm used to it now.

ADD
07-01-2011, 09:10 PM
We are fortunate to build in Central America, the world's treasure chest of tropical hardwoods. Since we're in the process of cutting back to three standard lines, we've also cut back our wood selection.

We're keeping some of the more familiar local woods - Mahogany, Spanish Cedar & Monkeypod, but we're using some other woods that are unknown outside our locale. Hopefully they'll stay that way, as it helps us control costs. Here's the current list:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/index_files/woods.htm

[/I]

How would a uke body made completely of Nance sound. I think it would certainly be beautiful. My heart did a little dance when I saw the wood. Have you already made any instruments using Nance that you could post? Thanks.

Nixon
07-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Give it (hopefully) a few weeks and I should have this from Mr Howlett:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3738/dscf0051b.jpg

Andaman Padauk. According to Pete, it's such a rare wood that this'll probably be the only time I see a peice of it :( Does mean mine's rather exclusive.

Edit: ohh yer, the cutaway may possibly be in madagascar rosewood to match the fretboard. Tragically don't have any piccys of the fretboard, but I can assure you it's a spectacular piece of wood.

southcoastukes
07-02-2011, 06:07 AM
How would a uke body made completely of Nance sound. I think it would certainly be beautiful. My heart did a little dance when I saw the wood. Have you already made any instruments using Nance that you could post? Thanks.

It is gorgeous wood, but I don't think it's the best candidate for a soundboard, as it's extremely hard. There is a small photo of it on the back of our long-neck Soprano here:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/index_files/smalls.htm

With the 3 new configurations we'll be doing, the "Softop Plus" models will have Nance for the back, sides of Tamarind, and either Spruce tops (for the bigger sizes) or Western Red Cedar (for the smaller ukes).

ADD
07-02-2011, 08:55 PM
It is gorgeous wood, but I don't think it's the best candidate for a soundboard, as it's extremely hard. There is a small photo of it on the back of our long-neck Soprano here:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/index_files/smalls.htm

With the 3 new configurations we'll be doing, the "Softop Plus" models will have Nance for the back, sides of Tamarind, and either Spruce tops (for the bigger sizes) or Western Red Cedar (for the smaller ukes).

Thanks for the info. Might be one to consider in the future. I noticed that the fretboard will now end at the body of the uke. How many frets would a soprano and a concert have in the new models?

joeybug
07-03-2011, 12:39 AM
My plan for a custom, when I've managed to get the money together, will be made from English Yew, I'm told it sounds very good, so I'm looking forward to it, it's an English luthier, Cursley? He's just starting out but makes some beautiful Ukes!

southcoastukes
07-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the info. Might be one to consider in the future. I noticed that the fretboard will now end at the body of the uke. How many frets would a soprano and a concert have in the new models?

Both our Soprano & Concert are long neck models - on the concert, we've even tweaked the body a bit to give more room on the fretboard. They'll be the same as you see in the itty bitty pictures: 15 frets to the body on the Soprano - 16 on the Concert. Still plenty of room.

We just felt like those few extra frets weren't really that useful on our smaller instruments (the larger ones will still get the extended fretboards) and liked both the easier strumming this set-up will provide, and the old style look. Combining the best of all worlds, so to speak.

I promise to do everything within my limited powers to get better photos up on the site with the new standard models. That is another reason we're doing it. If I can get those pictures right, I'll only need to take them on special occasions!

Here are some better pictures of Nance. First that Soprano. Second, here's a sneak preview of a Softop Plus. We just got in a test model Baritone. I took a quick photo today. Wiped it with a little shellac, even though it is unsanded - completely rough - still has glue spots - but you can get an idea of how it will look with the Tamarind sides.

Of course it will show up better with a full finish, but the Baritone has a more subtle figure than the Soprano. One thing you can count on from Nance, is that no two boards will look the same. The other thing is that they will always look pretty.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/Misc/Picture 031sm.jpg

http://www.southcoastukes.com/Misc/BS+ 001 sm.jpg

There'll be a little wait for these. The Softops will start coming out shortly. Hardtops late this year. Softop Plus early 2012.

fabioponta
07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I have an Vivace soprano uke (brazilian luthier) with spruce top, pau-ferro back and sides, andiroba neck and rosewood fretboard. All in satin finish. It looks great for me.

southcoastukes
07-03-2011, 08:03 PM
I have an Vivace soprano uke (brazilian luthier) with spruce top, pau-ferro back and sides, andiroba neck and rosewood fretboard. All in satin finish. It looks great for me.

That Ironwood looks beautiful!

KentSantaBarbara
07-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Rick, which wood sounds best for low-g?

ADD
07-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Both our Soprano & Concert are long neck models - on the concert, we've even tweaked the body a bit to give more room on the fretboard. They'll be the same as you see in the itty bitty pictures: 15 frets to the body on the Soprano - 16 on the Concert. Still plenty of room.

We just felt like those few extra frets weren't really that useful on our smaller instruments (the larger ones will still get the extended fretboards) and liked both the easier strumming this set-up will provide, and the old style look. Combining the best of all worlds, so to speak.

I promise to do everything within my limited powers to get better photos up on the site with the new standard models. That is another reason we're doing it. If I can get those pictures right, I'll only need to take them on special occasions!

Here are some better pictures of Nance. First that Soprano. Second, here's a sneak preview of a Softop Plus. We just got in a test model Baritone. I took a quick photo today. Wiped it with a little shellac, even though it is unsanded - completely rough - still has glue spots - but you can get an idea of how it will look with the Tamarind sides.

Of course it will show up better with a full finish, but the Baritone has a more subtle figure than the Soprano. One thing you can count on from Nance, is that no two boards will look the same. The other thing is that they will always look pretty.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/Misc/Picture 031sm.jpg

http://www.southcoastukes.com/Misc/BS+ 001 sm.jpg

There'll be a little wait for these. The Softops will start coming out shortly. Hardtops late this year. Softop Plus early 2012.

Thanks for posting the photos, Dirk. The figuring in that soprano is stunning. Will be in touch when I go home to visit my sister in Metairie, just in case you have anything available by then.

Rick Turner
07-03-2011, 10:41 PM
For our Compass Rose ukes...if you're going for a more guitar-like sound, I think the best sounding low G tops are spruce, WR cedar, or redwood...your typical guitar top woods. That said, my go-to low G tenor uke is my koa topped one, and it sounds great, but my next will be spruce over milo (thanks to Aaron), and I'm leaning toward making a long scale Bb 14 fret tenor out of that one. I'm running out of accessible frets!

iDavid
07-04-2011, 12:24 AM
My Compass Rose Sycamore has a great guitar/ uke tone. If a guitar and a uke had a baby, it would be my Compass Rose!

guitarsnrotts
07-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Does anyone make a solid zebrawood pineapple?

iDavid
07-04-2011, 04:31 AM
MP has made them in the past

haole
07-04-2011, 08:01 AM
I plan on owning at least one mango uke in the future. And I'd love to have something with a neat combination of woods from the islands that are unusual but not particularly rare (macadamia, ulu, kamani, kiawe, guava, lychee, etc).

haolejohn
07-04-2011, 08:14 AM
I plan on owning at least one mango uke in the future. And I'd love to have something with a neat combination of woods from the islands that are unusual but not particularly rare (macadamia, ulu, kamani, kiawe, guava, lychee, etc).

check out emil bader and the newer ko'olaus.

haole
07-04-2011, 08:46 AM
check out emil bader and the newer ko'olaus.

If Emil Bader is still doing custom work I'd be all over that. Ko'olau makes some great stuff but unfortunately their custom pricing is a little crazy, and I think it was Aldrine who said that the options are fairly limited even at that price range. :( Chuck Moore really thinks outside the box with tonewoods, and if I had $2000+ to spend on a custom, I'd let him work his magic.

Uke Republic
07-04-2011, 10:06 AM
This has proved to be awesome ! I have a few veneers over the back and sides of our Sailors, black limba, kawazinga and more all figured https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.194114180613518.51003.178196065538663 See whatcha think- got Sailor Blues coming out late this year too. Traditional woods are great too but it always great to see the varied tonewoods that make up our uke pallet . I hear Mainland has some interesting stuff coming out later too! Thanks too all for the posted pics and info!

Uke Republic
07-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Mr Baders Tamarind and Guava ukes really seem interesting and make me hungry too.

If Emil Bader is still doing custom work I'd be all over that. Ko'olau makes some great stuff but unfortunately their custom pricing is a little crazy, and I think it was Aldrine who said that the options are fairly limited even at that price range. :( Chuck Moore really thinks outside the box with tonewoods, and if I had $2000+ to spend on a custom, I'd let him work his magic.

Teek
07-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I have a koa cedar top soprano, and an old Kamaka pineapple made of monkey pod. Then there's the Kala pineapple with a watermelon top.. ;)

shrink9
07-05-2011, 03:47 AM
I am going to post pics of a few of my ukes if technology allows. First, is MY Compass Rose in California Sycamore. This baby sings!!

shrink9
07-05-2011, 03:52 AM
Here are pics of my Kanilea Curly Walnut. Beautiful tone in this uke. The range of colors is amazing.

Uke Republic
07-05-2011, 04:01 AM
That is a stunner!
I am going to post pics of a few of my ukes if technology allows. First, is MY Compass Rose in California Sycamore. This baby sings!!

iDavid
07-05-2011, 04:36 AM

I hear that!

Looks like we may have ukes from the same tree

:)

GX9901
07-05-2011, 07:47 AM
My favorite uke in both tone and looks has somewhat of a non-traditional wood, Macassar Ebony, although I guess it's a more common wood than some of the others posted in this thread:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cFtHNOD5h4U/SeuZfi_zawI/AAAAAAAAArI/72VkJW_T_5U/s512/DSC_1512.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-osK0am57_Fw/SeuZp6rfMII/AAAAAAAAArQ/R9_mIBfsM5k/s512/DSC_1513.JPG

I also have a bearclaw spruce/Milo tenor, which probably has the rarest wood among my collection:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rFIoDV8AIjE/SdafHOIXZUI/AAAAAAAAAnE/FrDRr6aVw2o/s512/Aaron_Taylor_01.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JfeYvL6zcaw/SdalPhmFv4I/AAAAAAAAAnk/q76c_AanOck/s640/Aaron_Taylor_08.jpg

Hippie Dribble
07-06-2011, 01:01 PM
check out this sweetheart the folks at Mya Moe just strung up today. It's an all sycamore uke:

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=455&submit=Track

didgeridoo2
07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
check out this sweetheart the folks at Mya Moe just strung up today. It's an all sycamore uke:

That one yours, Jon?

Man, it really is beautiful. Sound sample when you receive it, please and good luck with the waiting game knowing its on its way.

iDavid
07-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Did you guys miss my post?

My uke is developing a complex.

It is all sycamore.

marymac
07-06-2011, 01:46 PM

It is all sycamore.

Yours is gorgeous too David! I love the look of those sycamore ukes.

didgeridoo2
07-06-2011, 01:50 PM

It is all sycamore.

This is why I don't allow my ukes to read the forums.

iDavid
07-06-2011, 02:15 PM
she is in her case hiding at the moment.

ADD
07-06-2011, 10:15 PM
she is in her case hiding at the moment.

You can take her out of that case and let her know that many of us think she is gorgeous and we'd love to hear her too.

ADD
07-06-2011, 10:22 PM

Wow. Quite striking! Was finished before the completion date too. Can't wait to hear you do a little magic with her. Congratulations.

iDavid
07-06-2011, 11:47 PM
You can take her out of that case and let her know that many of us think she is gorgeous and we'd love to hear her too.

I tuned her down a half-step today. Really an amazing sound.

micromue
07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
This one is made from fossil moor oak. A hardwood that has been resting in the swamps for something between 800 and 8000 Years. Sounds lively, though :D! The neck is made from grained oak and is unsealed, which it gives it a nice "rough structured" feel. This exotic beauty goes by the name of "Swamp Thing".

http://i53.tinypic.com/30blhr5.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2lj72pz.jpg

Hippie Dribble
07-12-2011, 11:05 PM
This one is made from fossil moor oak. A hardwood that has been resting in the swamps for something between 800 and 8000 Years. Sounds lively, though :D! The neck is made from grained oak and is unsealed, which it gives it a nice "rough structured" feel. This exotic beauty goes by the name of "Swamp Thing".

http://i53.tinypic.com/30blhr5.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2lj72pz.jpg

WOW micromue!!! I'm totally in lust now. That is one of the prettiest ukes I've ever seen. Love the neck. Any other specs? Most importantly, who built it? Reminds me of a Brueko...

micromue
07-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks a lot, Eugene ukulele. It is indeed a Brueko and has been custom made to my specs. It is a thin body soprano with an arched back. Length: 53 cm, width: 13,5/16,8 cm, height: approx. 3 cm. Position markers are also made from moor oak, the rosette is made from maple. Their is no fretboard because I liked the visuals and feel of the grained oak neck, so the frets were set right into the neck. Leaving the neck unsealed was kind of risky, but I totally dig the feel of the open wood structure. It has lots of volume and a nice midrange bark when strummed hard.

bbycrts
07-13-2011, 06:43 AM

I think you win for "most exotic wood"! That is a beautiful ukulele!