PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of strings?

johntz
07-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts if strings have a useful shelf life? I have been buying many different strings to try out and always get several sets for stock purposes. One of my buddies said that he thinks strings go bad in 1-2 years. Thoughts?

Howie1947
07-02-2011, 02:55 AM
I can't imagine a string going "bad" after a certain amt of time. Seems to be that they ought to be good until you put them on, IMHO..............Howie

joeybug
07-02-2011, 03:34 AM
I can't imagine a string going "bad" after a certain amt of time. Seems to be that they ought to be good until you put them on, IMHO..............Howie

:agree: if they did go bad, wouldn't they have a "sell by date" on them?!

Doc_J
07-02-2011, 03:45 AM
Physical properties of nylons:

Oxidation of nylons occurs in air when exposed to UV light or when temperature are above 70 deg C. This oxidation leads to a change in mechanical properties. So, if kept away from sunlight, at room temperatures, and sealed from air, they should not go bad. YMMV.

Laouik
07-02-2011, 03:46 AM
There's a limit to anything, but given that nylon strings are synthetic materials selected for their durability and subtle elastic qualities, I'd say it should not be a worry.

As Joeybug said, there's be a best before date or, at least, like motorcycle helmets and vehicle tires, a date of manufacturing on them.

southcoastukes
07-02-2011, 05:58 AM
Treble material will last a long time. If you have wound strings, make sure their packet is sealed - if not, and if you won't be using them soon, drop them in a sealable plastic bag.

ichadwick
07-02-2011, 09:03 AM
One of my buddies said that he thinks strings go bad in 1-2 years. Thoughts?
Only if they end up running with a rough crowd. The sort that get into drugs, gangs, loose women, that sort of thing.

Imagine a new TV series called Aquilas: Breaking Bad....

Just keep this in mind: Oxygen is not your strings' friend.

Ingrate
07-02-2011, 09:06 AM
So..keep them in a flat tupperware-type container in the 'fridge?

Piikea
07-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Some of the old Kupuna around here have ukes that have strings that are litterally 20 yrs. old. They still sound crisp and clear. Must be locale.

Nickie
11-16-2011, 05:26 PM
I keep mine in the fridge, next to the kethcup...

stevepetergal
12-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Maybe keep 'em in the ketchup. Airtight, right?