Shelf life of strings?

johntz

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts if strings have a useful shelf life? I have been buying many different strings to try out and always get several sets for stock purposes. One of my buddies said that he thinks strings go bad in 1-2 years. Thoughts?

I can't imagine a string going "bad" after a certain amt of time. Seems to be that they ought to be good until you put them on, IMHO..............Howie

I can't imagine a string going "bad" after a certain amt of time. Seems to be that they ought to be good until you put them on, IMHO..............Howie

:agree: if they did go bad, wouldn't they have a "sell by date" on them?!

Physical properties of nylons:

Oxidation of nylons occurs in air when exposed to UV light or when temperature are above 70 deg C. This oxidation leads to a change in mechanical properties. So, if kept away from sunlight, at room temperatures, and sealed from air, they should not go bad. YMMV.

There's a limit to anything, but given that nylon strings are synthetic materials selected for their durability and subtle elastic qualities, I'd say it should not be a worry.

As Joeybug said, there's be a best before date or, at least, like motorcycle helmets and vehicle tires, a date of manufacturing on them.

Treble material will last a long time. If you have wound strings, make sure their packet is sealed - if not, and if you won't be using them soon, drop them in a sealable plastic bag.

One of my buddies said that he thinks strings go bad in 1-2 years. Thoughts?
Only if they end up running with a rough crowd. The sort that get into drugs, gangs, loose women, that sort of thing.

Imagine a new TV series called Aquilas: Breaking Bad....

Just keep this in mind: Oxygen is not your strings' friend.

So..keep them in a flat tupperware-type container in the 'fridge?

Some of the old Kupuna around here have ukes that have strings that are litterally 20 yrs. old. They still sound crisp and clear. Must be locale.

I keep mine in the fridge, next to the kethcup...

Maybe keep 'em in the ketchup. Airtight, right?

Top Bottom