icky case smell

garyg

Reaction score
I recently purchased two ukes that came with nice hard cases from a private party. The cases are new and emit, to use a scientific term, a yucky poo chemical smell, kind of like lemon formaldehyde. Well not quite that bad but bad enough that I actually thought the ukes had been oiled with some sort of lemon furniture polish. Okay I got a great deal on these ukes so I'm not criticizing the person who sold them to me. I'm just trying to figure out how to get rid of the smell. I've tried to "bake" it out by leaving them open in my garage for a week, which here in GA is about low roasting temperature. But it's still there and strong enough so that I know that if I close them up the smell will intensify. I could put a box of baking soda in each one but I wondered if anyone else had a better solution. I don't really want to spray them with some sort of deodorant because I'm concerned about the effect on the ukes. Any ideas?

I recently purchased two ukes that came with nice hard cases from a private party. The cases are new and emit, to use a scientific term, a yucky poo chemical smell, kind of like lemon formaldehyde. Well not quite that bad but bad enough that I actually thought the ukes had been oiled with some sort of lemon furniture polish. Okay I got a great deal on these ukes so I'm not criticizing the person who sold them to me. I'm just trying to figure out how to get rid of the smell. I've tried to "bake" it out by leaving them open in my garage for a week, which here in GA is about low roasting temperature. But it's still there and strong enough so that I know that if I close them up the smell will intensify. I could put a box of baking soda in each one but I wondered if anyone else had a better solution. I don't really want to spray them with some sort of deodorant because I'm concerned about the effect on the ukes. Any ideas?

I had a case like that too (sold it but not because of the smell). I figured a former own had spilled a whole bottle of polish or something like that in there. I left the case open for a long time, as any volatile organic compounds should slowly dissipate. I never did get that smell totally out of mine. Although with time it did lessen.

My knowledge of household smell removers includes baking soda, rice, and ground coffee. Good luck with that.

I myself use hanging car air fresheners...but just cut the side of the packages open and leave them inside..if they touch the finish of your uke it might damage it...I also keep it by the tuners side..
when I play my ukes, the sound from inside the ukes vibrates the air fresheners sweet fragrance comes out and makes it a beautiful experience....hope it helps...MM Stan

I'm having the same problem with the hard cases that came with my Kamakas. I've thought of baking soda, but it could get messy in the box form. I'm going to try these baking soda refrigerator filters, which I hope will eliminate the possibility of having baking soda spill all over the case.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I've actually used baking soda straight from the box on cases that don't smell too good. Just stick a bunch in, shake the case, but leave it closed for a few days. Just shake the case up every once in a while. After a few days of leaving the baking soda in the case, vacuum it out, and there you go. Done it a few times with pretty decent results (one needed it done a couple of times, refreshing the baking soda every few days).

Dan

There are many threads about case smells. Ususally it is the glue gassing off. I leave the case open and empty for several days where it can get plenty of air then put a downy or fabrize sheet in the case.

Top Bottom