New Discoveries

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
It's rare that I get a chance to experiment much anymore. Here's an uke where it really paid off though. Materials are koa, spruce, bloodwood and ebony.
I moved the side sound port to the lower bout instead of the more common location at the upper bout. As ukulele builders we sometimes blindly follow in step with what has traditionally been done on guitars. On a guitar, you wouldn't want the side sound hole in the lower bout because it would be covered by your arm while playing it. But in a ukulele I think it's the logical location since it's closer to the bridge and that's where the sound is generated.
Also, by moving the sound board sound hole up as high as is practical I am able to move the lower horizontal sound brace higher, thereby increasing the resonating surface by about 15%.
Of course the spruce top doesn't hurt either. The back and sides are from a set of koa that is extremely dense and stiff. Even when thinned to .060" I was getting almost no deflection in the top. I threw the top in the scrap pile and went with a spruce top instead. The extreme density of the back and sides may very well add to the overall effect.
Not surprisingly this uke has exceptional volume and response. I learned a lot on this uke and I hope to be doing more of these in the future.
Thanks for looking. Happy 4th everyone!

Attachments

• 1123a.jpg
    1123a.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 1123b.jpg
    1123b.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 1123c.jpg
    1123c.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 1123d.jpg
    1123d.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 1123f.jpg
    1123f.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 101
i am not a fan of soundholes placed in weird locations at all but WOW. now i am and that is just about the most beautiful uke i've ever seen. tenor?

All makes perfect sense. Bet it will sound great! It's nice to have time to play around, although we have been doing too much of it, lately. Want to get back to build, build, build.

Curiosity has me asking: since the sound hole is tucked away and you've much more surface area on the top to play with, what type of bracing system did you use?

Looks great Chuck! Please post a sound sample. BTW where can I sign up for one? :)

Wow, gorgeous, love to hear it!

Curiosity has me asking: since the sound hole is tucked away and you've much more surface area on the top to play with, what type of bracing system did you use?

In this uke I have a somewhat traditional three fan bracing pattern with a non traditional carbon fiber bridge patch/support. With other tenors I've built where the sound hole (or twin sound holes) is located higher up, I've used both parallel and five fan braces, with no distinguishable difference. The idea is to get the top plate to resonate freely, yet support it just enough to prevent distortion of the top due to the string tension (approximately 40 to 50 pounds with most strings on a tenor uke.) When bracing sound boards I consider the strength, weight and stiffness of the particular wood I'm using. Less is usually better when I'm looking for specific tonal qualities but longevity of the instrument is also a prime consideration. With this in mind the idea is to put 'em only where I need them and make sure they are match properly to the top. The somewhat over sized carbon fiber reinforcement (adapted from David Hurd) throws out a lot of the traditional thinking.
And BTW, if I could post a video I would. I've tried before and it's a daunting task for me. For me it's much easier to build an uke than to make a video. My brain just doesn't work that way. Maybe the new owner will post one though.

very innovative Chuck, thanks for showing it to us!

That is one beautiful ukulele, and the bloodwood sets it right off doesn't it? I wish making a uke was easier for me than posting a video...but I show people how to do the latter every day. Hopefully the new owner will give us a chance to hear it.

In this uke I have a somewhat traditional three fan bracing pattern with a non traditional carbon fiber bridge patch/support....

No worries, was just curious :)
With a soundboard that uncluttered it's truly a blank canvas! I know people can't see behind it, but it's always interesting to learn how craftsmen with a passion approach novel situations. Thank you for sharing!

No worries, was just curious :)
With a soundboard that uncluttered it's truly a blank canvas! I know people can't see behind it, but it's always interesting to learn how craftsmen with a passion approach novel situations. Thank you for sharing!

That's the nice thing about a side sound port, especially when it's in the lower bout. You can see everything that's going on within. No secrets!

That's the nice thing about a side sound port, especially when it's in the lower bout. You can see everything that's going on within. No secrets!

That's why a certain someone on here, who got his LFdM with a sound port (AND HASN'T POSTED A REVIEW YET *cough*) is lucky to get a better glimpse of this:

Untitled-1.jpg

That's why a certain someone on here, who got his LFdM with a sound port (AND HASN'T POSTED A REVIEW YET *cough*) is lucky to get a better glimpse of this:

Untitled-1.jpg

Subtle...nice!

The kasha style baritone I just got has a sound port in the lower bout and I love it! I'm sure your new style will be well loved by someone, Chuck.

Great to hear when the greats still learn. Some day, Chuck, when I convince my wife that my £600 ukulele was a bargain, I'll be in touch...

(Don't wait up) ;)

Top Bottom