Nut Width On Ohana TK-35G-5 Mahogany Tenor

WhenDogsSing

Reaction score
Does anyone know the width of the neck at the nut on these instruments? I am thinking about converting one to a 5-string ukulele with a "D" bass string instead of the way they come with a low/high G combined. I don't want to do it if the neck is not wide enough and the strings would be too close together.

Thanks...!!!

Does anyone know the width of the neck at the nut on these instruments? I am thinking about converting one to a 5-string ukulele with a "D" bass string instead of the way they come with a low/high G combined. I don't want to do it if the neck is not wide enough and the strings would be too close together.

Thanks...!!!

The nut on the TK-35G-5 measures 36mm or about 1.4 inches ( 1 and 3/8 inches). Hope that helps.
–Lori

Thanks...!!!

The low/high G strings are pretty close. Will be interested to know if this works for you.

The nut on the TK-35G-5 measures 36mm or about 1.4 inches ( 1 and 3/8 inches). Hope that helps.
–Lori

Thanks Lori. I don't know if I'll do this or not but I sure would like to have that extra bass string for a lot of stuff I play.

Lori,

Based on your reply, I assume you have or have access to an Ohana TK-35G-5. Can you tell me the distance between the G string pair on this instrument ? I'm converting a concert sized ukulele to the high/low G 5 string configuration. I've made a nut from Corian material that's .045" wider than the original nut to accommodate the extra string. I just need the spacing so I can start cutting the string slots.

mojo

Lori,

Based on your reply, I assume you have or have access to an Ohana TK-35G-5. Can you tell me the distance between the G string pair on this instrument ? I'm converting a concert sized ukulele to the high/low G 5 string configuration. I've made a nut from Corian material that's .045" wider than the original nut to accommodate the extra string. I just need the spacing so I can start cutting the string slots.

mojo

It looks like the space between the strings is 1mm. The distance from the outer string to the edge of the nut looks to be about 2mm. Hope that helps.

–Lori

Having reviewed the instrument for Ukulele Player Magazine, I'd say that the double-g is made to strum together and picking them separately is just not practical. You'd have a devil of a time playing the way you plan.

Having reviewed the instrument for Ukulele Player Magazine, I'd say that the double-g is made to strum together and picking them separately is just not practical. You'd have a devil of a time playing the way you plan.
I found if you pluck up with your index finger on the low G, you might consistently isolate those notes on that string. With careful thumb picking you can get just the high G when needed as well.

–Lori

I found if you pluck up with your index finger on the low G, you might consistently isolate those notes on that string. With careful thumb picking you can get just the high G when needed as well.

–Lori

True, I mentioned that angle of attack for tuning the instrument, but your recommendation changes the entire strum dynamic. That could really mess with someone that plays with a lot of traditional strumming techniques.

True, I mentioned that angle of attack for tuning the instrument, but your recommendation changes the entire strum dynamic. That could really mess with someone that plays with a lot of traditional strumming techniques.

I guess I didn't make it clear what I was thinking about doing. After the modifications, I would end up with a 5-string "guitarlele" without the bottom bass string. The 5 strings would each be spaced equally. I would do this by first making a new nut with 5 string slots equally spaced. I would then modify the bridge setup by drilling 5 equally spaced holes through the bridge and top directly behind the saddle and anchor the strings through those holes with beads. It would be a "string-through-bridge".

There are many songs that I play where I find I could use that extra bass string and that is why I was considering doing this. The Ohana, because it already has 5 tuners, seems like a good candidate for the modification.

Having said all of this, I've decided not to do it. I have too many ukuleles as it is...!!!

Thanks Lori and Pippin for your input and help. It is appreciated.

I guess I didn't make it clear what I was thinking about doing. After the modifications, I would end up with a 5-string "guitarlele" without the bottom bass string. The 5 strings would each be spaced equally. I would do this by first making a new nut with 5 string slots equally spaced. I would then modify the bridge setup by drilling 5 equally spaced holes through the bridge and top directly behind the saddle and anchor the strings through those holes with beads. It would be a "string-through-bridge".

There are many songs that I play where I find I could use that extra bass string and that is why I was considering doing this. The Ohana, because it already has 5 tuners, seems like a good candidate for the modification.

Having said all of this, I've decided not to do it. I have too many ukuleles as it is...!!!

Thanks Lori and Pippin for your input and help. It is appreciated.

I think you would have needed a wider neck to make it work. The string spacing would be very close together. How about a harp uke with a single string added?;)

–Lori

I think you would have needed a wider neck to make it work. The string spacing would be very close together. How about a harp uke with a single string added?;)

–Lori

I was wanting a 5-string with strings spaced equally. You're right though, the strings would have been too close together to do any picking.

Another thought just occurred to me. A person could do that with a Yamaha guitarlele with the same mods. The neck on those is wide enough that it would work. I have one that I don't play because the strings are spaced too close with the 6 strings. 5 strings would increase the string spacing to a playable dimension.

I'll keep you all informed.

But I gave up the idea for now anyway.

Top Bottom