Just got my firts Ukulele Today :)

IHeartGibson

Reaction score
I've been wanting to play for a while. There's just too many guitar players in my family, I figured I'd pick up somethign else. My father purchased an old ukulele for me from an old friend who usually buys and sells guitars. He's had this thing for 25 years he said. It has no name brand on it only a big number three when you look directly inside. and the numbers 77X08 2 on the inside near the neck. I was wondering if anyone knew where to look to find out what kind it is. also do I even have the right strings on it and is tuning it similar to the guitar? Im sure I'll be spending the rest of today looking upo chords and such. I'd appreciate any feedback or must haves or must knows about this instrument. Thanks in advance,
Jessie

Attachments

• SDC13015.jpg
    SDC13015.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 23
  • SDC13020.jpg
    SDC13020.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 24
  • SDC13018.jpg
    SDC13018.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 24
  • SDC13016.jpg
    SDC13016.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 29
  • SDC13017.jpg
    SDC13017.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 27
You've got yourself a classic no-name ukulele. I can't even tell if it's a tenor or a baritone from your photos... how far is does it measure from nut to bridge?

Does it sound good?

Oops, I almost forgot to welcome you to UU. Welcome!!!

Aloha & Welcome to the UU and our Forums Jessie. Wow! Nice Classic No Name uke! It seems to be in great condition considering it's 25+ years old. It looks to be a "Tenor" uke, but like TheOnlyUkeThatMatters suggested, the best way to tell would be to measure from the nut to the bridge. You definitely need to get new strings. Soprano, Concert, and Tenor ukes are usually tuned G-C-E-A from the 4th string to the 1st. And the largest uke, the Baritone, is generally tuned like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar, D-G-B-E, from 4th string to the 1st. If you're right handed, as you hold the uke as if you were going to play it, the 4th string is closest to you and the 1st string is furthest away from you. Hope that helps some. You've come to the best site all things ukulele. Browse the Forums, because you'll find threads on just about every topic you can think of. There are many other web sites to help you start out, but I will leave that to my fellow members who will welcome you to the UU because they will recommend some great sites to you. Have fun playing and practice, practice, practice! Hope to see you around the Forums!

I've been wanting to play for a while. There's just too many guitar players in my family, I figured I'd pick up somethign else. My father purchased an old ukulele for me from an old friend who usually buys and sells guitars. He's had this thing for 25 years he said. It has no name brand on it only a big number three when you look directly inside. and the numbers 77X08 2 on the inside near the neck. I was wondering if anyone knew where to look to find out what kind it is. also do I even have the right strings on it and is tuning it similar to the guitar? Im sure I'll be spending the rest of today looking upo chords and such. I'd appreciate any feedback or must haves or must knows about this instrument. Thanks in advance,
Jessie
Aloha Jesse,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...have fun and enjoy....check this out click here... http://www.tenorguitar.com/what.html hope it helps..MM Stan
if it's bigger than a baritone, it could be this...BTW baritones can be tuned to GCEA too..

Top Bottom