New requinto (sort of) day!

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
After a few setbacks, I finally have a Cordoba Requinto 480. Technically, the Requinto 480 isn't a requinto at all. Requintos are tuned ADGCEA, while the Requinto 480 is tuned EADGBE, like a guitar. I'm happy about this because I can use guitar books to learn how to play it, and I may eventually promote myself up to a full size guitar.

I haven't had much time with it yet, but it sounds great and seems to be well-made. The guy at the shop that sold it to me was impressed. His shop carries mini-guitars in the < $100 range, and he said this one was much better quality, and now he's planning to order some for his shop. The guy I spoke with at SF Guitarworks (which installed a strap button) told me he thought it was very well made -- great sound, solid construction, nice bracing, and no glue issues.

Big shoutouts to the great people at Cordoba who arranged to ship one for me directly to one of its local vendors, and to Berkeley Musical Instrument Exchange, the vendor that held onto the requinto for me until I could head over there to buy it.

Here are some photos.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Requinto 480 is just a bit larger than my Pono solid mahogany baritone ukulele.
attachment.php

Hey mds725,

Nice! Hopefully, your Cordoba Requinto 480 will be the bridge to playing the guitar as you hope for. I started playing the acoustic steel string guitar for 2-1/2 years. Hawaiian Slack Key Fingerstyle. That has helped me tremendously in learning to play the uke. I'm great at finger picking ... just need to work on strumming! lol! Have fun!

Nice! This is something I've been looking for myself. I find full sized guitars too huge so the smaller scale of this is really appealing. I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you. Be sure you post more about it! Thanks - Mary

Looks really sweet! :)

I have to admit that as a former mostly classical guitar player, they feel huge to me after playing ukes. Now and then I do miss six strings. Maybe someday...

Do follow up with your impressions. Would love to hear more about it.

Cedar top, yummy soundhole rosette, nice short scale, congrats!

Why do they call smaller guitars 1/2 size or 1/8th size (like this one) when the scale is nowhere near 1/2 or 1/8th of a standard guitar? Anyone know?

Aloha Mds725,
Congtatulations on your new Requinto...it looks awesome..hope it help you in your transition to guitar...have fun and enjoy...many have taken this road...Happy Strummings..MM Stan
Thanks for sharing..

I love the Rosetta, it's very pretty! Congrats on your new acquisition! :D

Top Bottom