hard case help...

sdmayo78

Reaction score
I just bought a Kala tenor and a foam case for it, but the case was too big. I'm used to my guitar cases which are a snug fit.

So any ideas on a good case for the Kala tenor? Or do you guys just deal with the loose fit?

grace and peace,
sam

If the case is loose, you probably bought a baritone case, and not a tenor case. The case SHOULD be a snug fit :)

If the fit is noticably off, then MisoHappy is right and you probably have a baritone case. That being said, my foam cases fit, but they aren't quite as snug as the hard cases I have, and unless I strap down the neck in a foam case, the uke might jiggle a little. Ko'olau sells, under the name Oahu for ukes that aren't Ko'olau or Pono, that are snug. I just bought a tenor size for at Hawaiian Music Supply (now selling for $65), and it seems pretty nice. Grypon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto actually prefers Ko'olau cases to Kamaka cases and includes a Ko'Olau case, instead of a Kamaka case, with each Kamaka it sells. Elderly Instruments sells a variety of hard cases, including Kala Uke Crazy in the $60-$80 range, and you might be able to find no-name hard cases in the $30+ range on eBay, but I don't have any experience with any of those cases.

The tenor size UKE CRAZY cases from Kala fit both my Cordoba tenor, and my Kala tenor snugly - they are the foam semi-hard cases.

I have to agree with Misohappy - you have the wrong size case.

-Kurt

Aloha Sam,
When buying cases, I always ask for inside dementions.....My oscar schmidt concert hard vinyl case fits my Kamaka tenor snugly.....if you go to the music store, bring the uke...don't think these
cases is one size fits all...ukes come in all sizes and it depends on the maker...even between the standard sizes as soprano, concert and baritone...usually the makers make them a little larger
to accomadate this...so they will be naturally loose fit...hope itn helps..MM Stan

I bought my case online so after all the responses I'm convinced I was sent a baritone case. It's already on it's way back.

I'm thinking I might "need" a tweed hard case!

Thanks for all the input.

grace and peace,
sam

I love hard cases over the foam core cases. My favorites are the Ko'olau/O'ahu cases - check your uke's dimensions first, though. My Kanile'a soprano lives in a Ko'olau case - it wasn't necessary to go with the more generous size of the O'ahu and I actually still have a bit of room to spare.

Top Bottom