Flutes, guns, Ghenghis Khan and Banjo Uke excitement from Cloverdale

TCK

Reaction score
More fun from Cloverdale- learned this one in about ten minutes because it is a favorite of ours.
In fact, i think Sweethearts of the Rodeo is my favorite record...
it would be totally cool if you guys want to fill this thread up with more songs from it before I figure them all out.
Anyway- thanks as always for tuning in.
I promise at some point I will stop messing the lyrics up.

you got love here brother. I missed this one today totally...

First off...I'm in lust with that shirt Dave. That's got my name on it and was delivered to you by mistake I'm sure. :eek: Gram Parsons lives on. :)

I like the Byrds too but they wouldn't be right up there at the top for me...Gotta admit I was kinda into The Band a little more, and The Flying Burrito Brothers...but they were great for sure and it's one awesome record I agree.

Nice rendition on the banjo ukes too Dave. Geez they sounded brilliant. What kind of ukes are those two? And you brought Mel along for the ride nowhere...lovin it, lovin you guys, everything totally right except the cue card malfunction :)

HAHAHAHAHA! Cue card malfunction- you are golden Mate! Fact of the matter is I am an idiot- I know, it is sad, and probably hard to watch :)
I love the Burritos of course, but never got into the Band (off to re-asses). Tell you what- I will send you the shirt off my back of you will do Hickory Wind for me...gauntlet...thrown....
I know you know it.
So glad you liked the tune- makes me wanna do another one :) The little Banjos are a Morgan Monroe and a 1927 Maybell. Mel hates playing them because she says she can hear her mistakes...but when she finished this she said "I really know this tune- it is easy". I guess I found a winner ;)
For me, the Byrds are the greatest band ever not for their prowess as songsters (though I figure they were pretty good doing Dylan tunes) but because my Da' loves 'em...in my world that means I love 'em too.

Ha ha ha, You all are funny. I want a banjolele but my bank account is empty. Hey TCK do you want to trade a big ole red Titano accordion for one of those banjolele's? Goin' Nowhere is one of my favs to play. You two are fun to watch.

Actually, lotsa love here, somehow I missed it first time through. Can also totally sympathize with missing the lyrics - I do that even with songs I wrote!

Thanks lots folks...Me and the wife appreciate it and well, Rox, I got 18 accordions sitting here collecting dust :) You can come over and play them anytime you want though-right now it is really hot here so I recommend the fall.
Now- we gotta talk about this, again at RoxHum. One of your favorites to play huh? I sure would like to see that- bet the others would too.
Yep- that sound was the gauntlet hitting the floor. ;)

I recognized the song from the opening chords, and I only know it from a Fairport Convention cover. Good work.

TCK - nice job, man, always one of my favorite Dylan tunes..... missed this one being gone a few days for holiday festivities.....

I have a weekly thing with another another guitarist/fiddle and a piano player and this is one of two or three tunes we play every week - and the lyrics are a little different every time. Dylan did a couple of different versions - I always like the different verses on the version released on his Greatest Hits Volume II....

You and Mrs. did a great job, really enjoyed the banjo uke..... I also love 'Sweethearts of the Rodeo' and play most of the songs on the record. Love the Louvin Bros. tune 'the Christian Life'..... just not a bad cut on the whole lp. Check my youtube channel, I did a cover of 'I Am A Pilgrim' for John's Olde Time Religion hymn thread a few weeks ago.

Glad I ran this one out again- Thanks for the comments folks- Means a lot to both of us.

Mr. Skidoo, I am off to check it out right now.

Ah, if only I could get my wife to like (LOVE) the Louvin's the way they are supposed to be loved. Would love to do some of their tunes, including Christian Life.

Edit- Skidoo, you're the fellow that did Rex's Blues (you knew that right? :))- great channel...all subbed up now

Last edited:
thanks for the subscription, glad you dig it.

I'm a huge Louvin Bros fan.... I also made a stab at their take on 'Kneel At The Cross' although that high harmony part is painfully out of my range.....

Working on Making Believe- ala Social Distortion right now on my Risa....

Now to get the wife to buy in to it.
I love the Louvin's more than life itself (along with many others)...so good to see another one here

Well, I just found out about this project from Dave last night. What a great record to cover! I've knocked out two of my favorites this morning. C'mon, Y'all!

Here's the lowdown on "Sweetheart of the Rodeo".
One of my favorite records, too.

#TitleWriterLead vocalsGuest musicians/band contributions beyond usual instruments[SUP][58][/SUP]Time
Side 1
1."You Ain't Goin' Nowhere"Bob DylanMcGuinnLloyd Green (pedal steel guitar), Gram Parsons (organ)2:33
2."I Am a Pilgrim"traditional, arranged Roger McGuinn, Chris HillmanHillmanJohn Hartford (fiddle), Roy Husky (double bass), Roger McGuinn (banjo), Chris Hillman (acoustic guitar)3:39
3."The Christian Life"Charles Louvin, Ira LouvinMcGuinnJayDee Maness (pedal steel guitar), Clarence White (electric guitar)2:30
4."You Don't Miss Your Water"William BellMcGuinnEarl P. Ball (piano), JayDee Maness (pedal steel guitar)3:48
5."You're Still on My Mind"Luke McDanielParsonsEarl P. Ball (piano), JayDee Maness (pedal steel guitar)2:25
6."Pretty Boy Floyd"Woody GuthrieMcGuinnRoy Husky (double bass), John Hartford (acoustic guitar, banjo, fiddle), Chris Hillman (mandolin)2:34
Side 2
1."Hickory Wind"Gram Parsons, Bob BuchananParsonsJohn Hartford (fiddle), Lloyd Green (pedal steel guitar), Roger McGuinn (banjo), Gram Parsons (piano)3:31
2."One Hundred Years from Now"Gram ParsonsMcGuinn, HillmanBarry Goldberg (piano), Lloyd Green (pedal steel guitar), Clarence White (electric guitar)2:40
3."Blue Canadian Rockies"Cindy WalkerHillmanClarence White (electric guitar), Gram Parsons (piano)2:02
4."Life in Prison"Merle Haggard, Jelly SandersParsonsEarl P. Ball (piano), JayDee Maness (pedal steel guitar)2:46
5."Nothing Was Delivered"Bob Dylan

Mahalo to Dave and Alan for being the brains behind the project, and posting the info, respectively. As a committed Gram Parsons fan, what else could I do but this?

Good one Casey! One of my favorites, too.

Dave is the founder of the feast here. I'm just along for the ride.

Top Bottom