Have a question about the Aphid project. Need help.

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Maybe I'm weird. The wife always tells me I have a "thing" with names, and said it again when I came up with the Aphid name for the mini uke project. Personally, I think it fits. NOW she thinks it is weird because I am considering doing a little inlay signifying the model name of the project. I am inlaying my logo "Dük" on the headstock (logo below)

Duk.jpg

But, I am also considering an inlay, of a silloutette of an actual Aphid like this,
aphid2.jpg

marking it as an "Aphid" model. Exclusive to this model. Is that weird? The wife thinks it is.

And on that note, where would you put it. Too much for the headstock, especially as small as it is. But I am thinking maybe on the top somewhere, maybe under the bridge. or maybe just subtle, on the back somewhere.. Maybe on the back of the headstock? What do ya think? Dumb totally, or if cool, where should it go?

Mate they thought the Beatles were weird. They thought Elvis was a freak. They think Justin Bieber is odd. Well, OK, maybe they all are. Maybe it's a little bit of out-of-the-boxness that the Apid ukes need. It's not as in your face as a Luna tattoo, and we are talking about a mini uke after all, so a little something as a tag line or logo or mind-catcher is probably in order.

Where it ends up is the key. Put lots of thought into it.

I say follow your heart and see who comes with you. Your wife will, when she sees how good the uke turns out and wants to play it. If not, well build another one without the aphid and keep number 1 for your exclusive use. Win either way.

you should make a larger size one that you can call 'the roach'. or put a tenor neck on it and call it 'the dragon fly'

just saying. (i know that has nothing to do with your original question)

Cliff

Cliff.. I think you saw before everyone else did where my head has been thinking. I have been thinking ahead into Soprano, Concert, and Tenor sizes, all with insect themes, and names. Roach, didn't cross my mind but it is now, lol.. But, I am thinking "Cricket" for the Soprano, and moving up the food chain in the insect world for the bigger scales.. But, you hit the nail on where I have been thinking on going with Dük label..

I like it. Elongated, would it fit on the head between the tuners? Or on the top. I don't think the back works because it would not be seen. How about on the fretboard, over an area of multiple frets. Or smaller, less detail, for markers. Just some thoughts.

Cliff.. I think you saw before everyone else did where my head has been thinking. I have been thinking ahead into Soprano, Concert, and Tenor sizes, all with insect themes, and names. Roach, didn't cross my mind but it is now, lol.. But, I am thinking "Cricket" for the Soprano, and moving up the food chain in the insect world for the bigger scales.. But, you hit the nail on where I have been thinking on going with Dük label..

And BTW: Bieber in the same sentence and Elvis, and the Beatles, is a sacrilege.. ;)

I like it. Elongated, would it fit on the head between the tuners? Or on the top. I don't think the back works because it would not be seen. How about on the fretboard, over an area of multiple frets. Or smaller, less detail, for markers. Just some thoughts.

As markers it would be cool. But, not sure I can see well enough to inlay that small with enough detail to know what they are. The dots are going to be 3mm big, so the area is pretty restricted in-between the frets. But, a cool concept I will look at..

On the back of the headstock is subtle, but cool I think. But not sure if that's what I want to do either. The Gibson Les Paul Gothic has the image of "Gibson" the man on the back of the neck just under the headstock, and I always thought that was cool on that model.

thought about that for the name before I came up with Aphid, but, it's been done, and don't want confusion between mine, and the real Flea. I also thought about Knat for this project, but just thought Aphid was cooler.. Knat is more obvious. Aphid makes people think about it first.. lol;

How about a slightly "modern" Aphid with few "details". Lots less work, maybe cooler than a realistic looking one.

How about taking a leaf out of the dolphins and making it part of the bridge work ? so that it looked as though it were crawling onto it etc ... one piece of wood straight as is the norm with the aphid on the bottom right of it or top right so it would be crawling away ?

Or what about on the side, player side up, as though walking around the edge.

I think that behind the headstock or in the sound hole are the options i would go for. Good luck with the project.

Maybe make it a semi tribal style aphid but not as heavy on the tribal, which is out of date. Just more sleekly designed, maybe legs less articulate and more stylized and closer to the body. So the ick factor of bugs is reduced. I don't mind bugs much but some people will. Love the overall idea though.

The best way to decide these things is to test it out on a prototype. Take a finished uke (the right size and shape) and make a paper inlay sticker (make sure it is the color you will be using), and try it out in various areas and in different sizes. It is important that you can move it around to figure out the best spot. See how it looks when someone is holding it and playing it, versus hanging on the wall. Also, try making a Gnat logo, or other option you were considering, because you might prefer the look of a different insect. I am not in love with the name Aphid yet... I like the sound of the name Gnat better, but it might look creepier than the aphid. Details here can make or break a design. I have been deterred from buying some ukes because of their design detailing.

Good Luck

Lori

What Phil said.

I'm gonna play with that, and see what I can draw up. I don't want to morph it too much because it won't look like an aphid (they are rather plain looking bugs). But I do agree maybe a more abstract version on one would be more up to date.. And Lori, I hear what your saying. I kinda like Gnat too, it was a huge toss up between the two. As far as the "gross" or creep factor, aphids aren't so much. I would rule out "Head Lice" or "bed bug" due to the creepy gross factor.. hehheh

Gee...is that an aphid or a tick? :)

What about Firefly? Brings light and brigthens the surroundings just like a uke!!

^ But there already is a firefly uke!

Also. How about you put the aphid picture inside of the body on one of them sticker thingies instead of an inlay. Just a thought -_^

Top Bottom