PDA

View Full Version : Uke Got Mail 4 - Strings??

anaka
08-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Alright, Manny and Aldrine are back again for another UKE GOT MAIL (Strings!) (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/08/16/uke-got-mail-4-strings/). I know this question has been spoken about time and time again down here in the Underground, but for those who are just starting out this might be a good one to check out (and even if you are a string expert, checking out this ep might be good, just so you understand what everyone else is joking about).

Thoughts, ideas, questions, comments? Post them here!

SailQwest
08-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Another great Uke Got Mail! Lots of good information. Although I don't think I'll be trying Manny's string recommendation any time soon!
But you gotta love Manny Rooster!!! :D

h-drix
08-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Another great Uke Got Mail! Lots of good information. Although I don't think I'll be trying Manny's string recommendation any time soon!
But you gotta love Manny Rooster!!! :D

what:eek:??? dont you know that pissing line are THE best strings for ANY stringed instrument.

The information about the saddle and chaning strings one at a time was really good, had no idea about that. Thanks aldrine and manny.

Slick
08-16-2008, 06:54 PM
I have to admit that I have used "Pishing Line" strings. :o

Here are some recomendations...........

G & A string - 20# test
E string - 30# test
C string - 50# test

Ande is my favorite brand (both for pishing and :music:)

Believe it or not, they don't sound as bad as you'd think.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-17-2008, 12:29 AM
good info
somebody in the background at some stage haha

experimentjon
08-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah, whos the chick in the background at about 2:28? Huh, Aldrine? (Unless it's your sister, then I take back the "Huh Aldrine.")

And my suggestion is that you guys try to match the volume on the intro cutscene to the rest of the video, because I have noticed that that part just gets really loud compared to the rest of the video. That'd be great for me.

russ_buss
08-17-2008, 01:28 PM
great video guys. always funny and informative!

rayan
08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, whos the chick in the background at about 2:28? Huh, Aldrine? (Unless it's your sister, then I take back the "Huh Aldrine.")

And my suggestion is that you guys try to match the volume on the intro cutscene to the rest of the video, because I have noticed that that part just gets really loud compared to the rest of the video. That'd be great for me.

Its his sister

DeG
08-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Fishing line is best for playing 'Ama'ama

:rofl::biglaugh::D

IamRobbyah
08-17-2008, 08:42 PM
The information about the saddle and chaning strings one at a time was really good, had no idea about that. Thanks aldrine and manny.

Yeah, I learned this the hard way... Thought I ruined the uke I gave my mom. I mustve put it back in the same way, cuz it sounds just fine. Whew! neva do that again

tuscadero
08-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Very very helpful and timely.
I recently bought a Pono PTO tenor and it came with the Koaloha strings, (low G, wound) It was feeling a bit too "guitar" to me, so I bought a sampler of different strings, different brands and both high and low G, all nylon and wound strings, to try them out, see what I like.
I've been playing around with the first set, Hilos, high G, all nylon, and wasn't in love. So, I thought I'd try the next option (D'Addario black nylon, wound C). But now that I've watched this video, I realize that since it's only been a week I really should let them settle for a bit before I switch them out again.
I also didn't realize that I should change them one string at a time. That's key advice. Thankyouverymuch.
I'm also digging Manny. We had a Manny up here in Boston once. He was a tempermental little cock-a-doodle, too. :p