Fret Trouble!

photopatch

Reaction score
I just noticed that the 8th & 9th frets on my G string sound exactly the same. Is this simply a string problem? Or is it something more serious? All of the other frets/strings are fine.

Is the issue the same for all strings?

If I understand correctly, when you fret at the 8th and 9th fret the sound is the same. Usually that would indicate that the 9th fret is a little high, ot less commonly that the 8th fret is too low. Have a look and see if that's the case. It will help by putting a straight edge, like a 6" ruler, along side the string(s) in question and see by rocking the ruler up and down at each of these frets.

I'm going to make a (possibly rash) assumption about your ability to fix this yourself. For an expensive uke, unless you have good fine motor skills, great confidence and/or experience, a quick trip to a guitar repair shop may be in order. If you have a local uke group someone in the group is also likely to have the skills, if in fact you don't.

By your ear of a tuner . It is nearly physically impossible for two consecutive frets to be the same note. Check the reading with a digital tuner. If its true then its a fluke of physics. Unless a fret has lifted.

Thanks guys! I took it into the shop and found out that a fret had lifted. He said it was due to humidity. He fixed her up and she's back to normal :)

Top Bottom