PDA

View Full Version : Got my first and second uke today

JamieNZ
07-03-2011, 05:12 PM
My Ohana TK-20 Tenor and Kala travel soprano just arrived, delivered by a very uninterested courier.

I say just but it was over two hours ago, how time flies when you're having fun, but my fingers are now peeling so it's time for a break.

I bought them from Alistair's Music, in Wellington NZ, who were great to deal with.

I was stunned at the size of the soprano, so tiny, and such a heavy headstock, but I expected that from the reviews.
As I'm only now learning how to hold a uke now, I should be able to compensate for it quite easily.

It's suprising how easily it is to fit my fingers into the chord shapes, even on the soprano. Also having only 4 strings it's much easier to move chord shapes up and down the fretboard.

I was planning on getting the tenor low G strung, but they didn't have any sets on hand so they're going to send some when they get new stock.

Having a ball learning songs right now, and watching the Uke Minutes.

Jamie

Honu
07-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Congratulations on the new Uke's. You are going to have a blast Learning. Just remember to give your fingers some rest.

joeybug
07-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Happy New Uke Day times Two! Enjoy those new Ukes and you'll soon be jamming away as if you'd been doing it for years! Congrats :D

didgeridoo2
07-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Congrats. My suggestion is to replace the tuners on the soprano with friction tuners as soon as you feel comfortable doing it. It'll make a world of difference and a balanced uke is easier to get started on. Mainland ukulele sells deluxe friction tuners that will fit perfectly, if you can have them shipped from the US. It's a great little uke and it gets even better when you do the retrofit.

Have fun.

mm stan
07-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Aloha Jamie,
Congratulations on your 2 new purchases....have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings..MM Stan
Could You have premature early stages of UAS...hmm Yes the ukulele is easy and a fun and enjoyable instrument...

nelly
07-03-2011, 10:10 PM
happy uke day.....double the fun

DustyElmer
07-03-2011, 11:42 PM
sounds like a fantastic day!

wolfybau
07-04-2011, 01:30 AM
congrats! enjoy those and the fun of musical discovery

roxhum
07-04-2011, 03:29 AM
TWO IN ONE DAY! WOO HOO! Double the pleasure double the fun.

PhilUSAFRet
07-04-2011, 03:42 AM
Congrats! Has your Doctor cleared you to have some much fun?

JamieNZ
07-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I kept meaning to reply sooner but everytime I come on these forums I get inspired and end up playing my ukes instead.

Been having a ball playing the ukes, both have been getting about equal playtime, tenor for extended playing sessions and travel for trying out new tabs I see on the forums.
I'll look into getting some friction tuners in the future, for now my girlfriend is making me a strap to take some of the weight off.