Double Sides: How to

Liam Ryan

Reaction score
I've been posting on here for a little while but really haven't posted any of my original works. I suppose it's about time then.

I build in the spanish style, on a workboard/solara. I dish the area below the soundhole and within the linings to approximately 15'. The neck and neck block are integral with the sides let into slots in the side of the neck blank.

Normally the sides are held in place by some sort of mold or simply dowels layed out the right shape. I find these can be a bit of a pain and have built the last few free form on the solara.

I'm hoping that by using double sides I can get enough rigidity during the build to not have to worry about any asymmetry. So here's a method I've used.

First thin an inner and outer side to 0.9-1mm. I've used blackheart Sassafrass for the outer and local Kauri Pine for the inner.
Sooty 289.jpg

Next take one extremely high tech side bender.
Sooty 290.jpg

Next bend the outer (show) side. As Allen puts it the Sass bends if you look at it hard enough. Pop it in a mold.
Sooty 291.jpg

The Kauri Pine wants to get in on the action and bends itself while I'm not looking.
Sooty 293.jpg

Wipe some titebond onto the Kauri with my finger. I don't want too much on there as it might leave bubbles.
Sooty 294.jpg

TBC..............

The neck and neck block are integral with the sides let into slots in the side of the neck blank.

Is that a Spanish Heel construction type? I've not heard it called that in uke building, but I have built two mandolins that way and in those days that, along with the shape, was what was called Spanish Heel construction

Then both into the mold and start wrapping with polyester webbing from the habedashery shop.
Sooty 295.jpg

All wrapped up, and room for clamps so hey, why not add a few.
Sooty 284.jpg

Then leave it to sit for a few hours and:
Sooty 297.jpgSooty 296.jpgSooty 286.jpg

Is that a Spanish Heel construction type? I've not heard it called that in uke building, but I have built two mandolins that way and in those days that, along with the shape, was what was called Spanish Heel construction

Yes. I make up a neck consisting of a scarf jointed headstock and a stacked heal/neck block. A slot is put in either side to accept the sides. Perhaps I should put another tutorial together..............

Very interesting stuff..No need for linings I imagine, unless its going to be bound..I love the wood grain....Perhaps you could build a solero based on the Nunes 1917 film....I built one for an experiment a couple of years ago...it can be seen here...just click on the image for a slide show

Each layer is 0.9-1mm so total around 1.9mm. Probably still need linings, although i don't think I'll bind this one so only small linings.

That is beautiful. Cannot wait to see the finished product!

Top Bottom