Kanile'a bracing "new and old"?

UkeNinja

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking around for a nice tenor at the moment. My eye is on the big Hawaiian makers, but recently I found a Japanese luthier with a basic model that was very nice as well...

Anyway, in one shop there was an Kanile'a basic tenor on sale, but with the "old" bracing, thus without the holes in the bracing under the soundhole. I suspect of course, that the new bracing was done to make it even more resonant, loud, and clear. But how do the sounds of this "old" and "new" bracing compare? Would getting the old version be worth the price difference of, say, $200 in favor of the old version?

Edit: ah, apparently I am talking about the "ukulele TRU bracing"...

I am pretty sure this is just nitpicking as the old bracing model sounded very good and clear, just wondering if anyone can give some advice on this difference. In addition, could one construction be more sensitive to severely humid weather than another, or is that less of a problem (I will of course try to keep the case climate in balance)?

Hope this makes sense, any of you with a Kanile'a tenor or experience in playing one, please share your stories.

Last edited:
I have never played a kanilea with the non TRU bracing. But when it's a 200 dollar difference, I'm pretty sure you don't need the one with the new bracing, because kanileas are just well built good sounding ukes, and I'm sure the old bracing wasn't a bad system either. I'd still say that you should try the ukes, but 200 is a massive price difference in two ukes that are nearly the same...just my unsubstantiated thoughts.

It does'nt matter what the cost is as long as when you play it, It makes you feel good.

I almost argued against this point, but then I realized you're actually giving a good definition of paying too much for a ukulele:

When you play your uke and it just makes you sad, you paid too much.

The big difference in the tenors is more volume and low end on the new bracing pattern. I have kanile'a in all three bracing patterns and one that you are looking at would be fine for just about anything, if you were playing say alot in a group on a mic or without a pickup then the TRU is a better option.

Of all the Ukes I have a stright grain koa k2 kanile'a that in the older bracing pattern that sounds the best as a intimate playing uke. Not so great on volume but a very lush and full tone.

Thank you all for the input. Come to think of it, I realize I sound like a camera noob who is afraid to buy the newest DSLR because the next better model is due to be released in a few months. It is propably something psychological.

Unfortunately I can't play the old and new models back to back, but it definitely did not make me sad (on the contrary, ha!). Actually part of the price difference ($100) is because of slight imperfections in the finish on the back of the body, but I looked and it was hardly noticable. The other $100 was because it's the older model. Still the best price for a Hawaiian-made tenor I've seen so far.

Thank you all for the input. Come to think of it, I realize I sound like a camera noob who is afraid to buy the newest DSLR because the next better model is due to be released in a few months. It is propably something psychological.

Unfortunately I can't play the old and new models back to back, but it definitely did not make me sad (on the contrary, ha!). Actually part of the price difference ($100) is because of slight imperfections in the finish on the back of the body, but I looked and it was hardly noticable. The other $100 was because it's the older model. Still the best price for a Hawaiian-made tenor I've seen so far.

If you like it and it is your sound just buy it and enjoy, if its missing something or your needs require a option that it does not have then pass. The UV Kanile'a are down right indestructible in terms of finish so if its got a gouge in the finish check the bracing on the inside and check up the neck for buzzing to see if something got knocked.

Naw, it is just a few little picks on the back where little holes of the wood grain come through (you know, as if a little more coating could fill it up), but not noticable until you hold it to the light and start paying attention though. It's a new uke and buzzing etc did not seem to be a problem. Thanks for the heads up though.

As an example, a friend of mine just returned from the 808 with a Pono 8 string. It was $550 or something like that and because of a blemish, he got it for $249 with a gig bag. When I looked at it, I couldn't find it 'till he pointed it out. I played it and did not notice any degradation or other defects. The action was was perfect, sounded very mellow and not as bright on the high end. Overall, a good buy considering the cost. So if that's the only thing wrong with the Kanile'a, why not make the purchase?

Top Bottom