Stupid question?

Larry Offner

Reaction score
Is the frets wider on a tenor ukulele than a concert or soprano or is there just more frets? Be gentle...

Haven't you heard, there are no stupid questions.

I only have concert and sopranos, but yes, I would say yes each larger size has a wider fret board and more frets. But maybe you need to hear from someone smarter than me.

They're wider.

A soprano scale is 13in., a concert scale 15in and a tenor 17in.
If all of them have 14 frets, then yes the frets are wider on the longer scales.

I thought he was asking whether they were wider side-to-side, not the space between the frets.

Is the frets wider on a tenor ukulele than a concert or soprano or is there just more frets? Be gentle...

The fret spacing ( space between frets) is longer, thus even on frets past #10 or #12, there's more room for fingers. BUT, the width (across the neck/fret) isn't necessarily dramatically wider on soprano to tenor. I have all sizes & that width varies most from maker to maker rather than uke size. For example, my soprano, longneck soprano, & tenor scale KoAloha's have a wider neck than my tenor LoPrinzi. And I've owned a concert Mele which are known for narrow necks.

Hope that helps!

depends on the maker or brand....there is no cross the board standard for the width of the fretboard.....

Top Bottom