anyone use Old Brown Glue?

Doc_J

Reaction score
I was checking to see if anyone had experience with this version of hide glue, Old Brown Glue. Looks like a viable alternative to a glue pot and gelled glue. Seems like it would good for small crack repairs.

I haven't used it, but from their Ad (see below) I'd say it is what is commonly referred to as "cold hide glue."

"OLD BROWN GLUE was designed originally for restoration and conservation of antique furniture with veneer and marquetry surfaces. It is approved for museum quality veneer repairs since it is the same protein glue that was originally used in all preindustrial furniture. Traditional animal protein collagen glues form chemical bonds with themselves, meaning that new glue can be added to pre-existing glues and they will bond chemically."

Patrick at Old Brown Glue said some luthiers had switched to his hide glue for crack repair, as it penetrates easier than regular hide glue.
I was wondering if it is much different than the Franklin/Titebond bottled liquid hide glue.

Not used it but it is hide glue with urea added to it to keep it liquid at room temperature. So you do not get the initial grab of hot hide glue gelling to keep a joint in place (I like that benefit) but you do get the same properties of hide glue. Transparent under finish. Easy clean up, and easy repair etc. Dries by evaporation

I use to have a document that gave you all kinds of ways to mix and use different additives with hide glue for various tasks. Had our computers stollen last year and no longer have it otherwise I'd post it. You can also add salt to hide glue to keep it liquid at room temperature.

Tools For Working Wood have a book on hide glue that some might find interesting.

And don't forget to check out Frank Fords site Frets.com for more very useful information on lots of things besides hide glue

I should add that reading further through Frets.com and some other sites that the addition of urea to make liquid hide glue makes the glue elastic. That is, it will creep under tension just like PVA's will. So if that doesn't worry you and like the idea of using a glue that is transparent under finish then Old Brown Glue may be an option.

And while we are talking about liquid animal based glues, further reading about Fish Glue says it's extremely hydroscopic, so will suck up ambient moisture and joints will fail in humid climates. Not so with hide glue, and I can attest to that, because it doesn't get much more humid anywhere than here in the wet season.....except maybe Darwin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Allen. Those were great links!

Everyone seems to agree, it's best to make it fresh from dry M&H glue.

Top Bottom