Kumalea question

TCK

Reaction score
Anyone know when they stopped making them with wooden friction tuners? Went to the Healdsburg California Historical Museum the other day and they have one, accompanied by the the High School Ukulele Club (A short lived endeavor back when Uke had hit top popularity the last time around) and the docent did not know how old it was. Combined with the picture and a few other artifacts, I am figuring mid 19-teens?
Sure was nice- sitting in a display case with no climate control and only one tiny little tight crack...and a big glob of glue holding it in place (sigh). No pics because the lexan glared like crazy.

According to information about Kumalae at the Ukulele Hall of Fame Museum, Kumalae made uke's up until his death in 1940.

Interesting to me that in doing some reading on the awards given out at the P.P.I.E. it seems like there were many, many awards given and Kumalae's award there was not necessarily very significant, but he used it VERY wisely! Still would like to add a Kumalae to my collection someday!

According to information about Kumalae at the Ukulele Hall of Fame Museum, Kumalae made uke's up until his death in 1940.

Interesting to me that in doing some reading on the awards given out at the P.P.I.E. it seems like there were many, many awards given and Kumalae's award there was not necessarily very significant, but he used it VERY wisely! Still would like to add a Kumalae to my collection someday!

Aloha Ryan,
there is a nice one in Hawaii's craigslist...missing it peg tuners...that would be no problem for you though...you've got a good source on them...saw your Kamaka, it is amazing....MM Stan

Thanks Stan, looks like a lot comes up on Hawaii craigslist.....good thing I am here and not there as I would spend all my money on vintage ukuleles!

Using wood pegs is a bit of a commitment to originality. Just for fun I slapped a modern Ping brand tuner on my Kamaka to see if it would work....and WOW.....what a difference. However, I feel like I am just the steward of my vintage instruments and I should keep them as original as possible so the next owner can enjoy them in an original state......I know my uke's have already been through many owners and I hate undoing poor work, so I try to do the very best I can.

Frank Ford at Gryphon has the stance that he wants a future repairman to not even know he had ever worked on an instrument.....and I admire that!

Top Bottom