Camp + Uke = New people to enjoy a new instrument!

thejumpingflea

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on much. I spend my summers working at a summer camp on the Hood Canal in Washington called Camp Parsons. It is a great experience to work with people and be a staff member up here.

The reason I am posting this thread however is to let people know that the word of the uke is spreading! Every week we have 2 camp fires (one on Sunday, when they get to the camp, and the next on Friday, the night before they leave) and we also have a "Music Fest" on Monday nights. Myself and my Uke are in everything possible here and my one goal is to make people more aware of this little 4 stringed instrument that I love so much.

The best part is, kids love it! Every music fest I play a song I wrote (Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3PSwea9Elg ) that is meant to show that the uke can play more then just "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". (I love this song, but most people know the uke just for that song...) It is always a huge hit because nobody expects it. Then after one of our amazing electric guitar players play I would go out with my EleUke and have a "Rock Duel" with him. We'd trade off classic to contemporary rock songs and it'd end with Metallica. While he is a much better player than I at electric, I had the gimmick of playing "Enter Sandman" on an electric uke behind my back. Just so you know, kids freak out with that. :rock:

So after that Monday night everyone would know exactly what this instrument is, (I make sure they know before I play) and I will get questions of how to start playing, how much are they, where do you get them, etc. It is a great feeling knowing that these people are so intrigued by the instrument and knowing that I showed them that it is more then just a toy. I have constantly throughout the summer gotten many compliments and many things such as an adult telling me, "You have inspired my kid to play the uke!" that it really gives me a sense of accomplishment of getting the word ukulele out into the world, even if it is only a few hundred people a week.

Then at Friday night I would play a song for the closing (link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHK5VD7oxk ) and leave the kids with more of a realization for the instrument as they leave. It shows them that even more that it is a "Serious Instrument" just like the ol' geetar. :nana:

SO why I made this thread is to encourage any of you guys and gals that love the 'ukulele as much as I do, to try and show others what it is. A Uke brings a smile to everyones face and the more smiles we have in this world, the better off we all are. :D

[Sorry the recordings are not live, I should have a music fest video up later this week. (only the guitar player has left for the summer... I guess a banjo player to "Duel" will work pretty well too.... :D)]

i love both songs, great stuff. I would of loved to be introduced to the uke with your music.

Top Bottom