Beginners fingerpicking songs

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all just joined bought a Lani LC-70MGCE a few weeks back has anybody else got this make ?
Anyway just after a few easy picking songs, found 1 on you tube of Mikes scarborugh fair but getting stuck on the D. Cant seem to get 3 fingers to fit.
I would really like something I could pick to record it then strum over top any ideas?
Thanks in advance Phil.

Hi all just joined bought a Lani LC-70MGCE a few weeks back has anybody else got this make ?
Anyway just after a few easy picking songs, found 1 on you tube of Mikes scarborugh fair but getting stuck on the D. Cant seem to get 3 fingers to fit.
I would really like something I could pick to record it then strum over top any ideas?
Thanks in advance Phil.

For an easier D, bar the second fret with your index finger and put your pinkie on the fifth fret of the 1st string ( A string). Once you got that down pat, move it up to the fourth fret (bar) and pinky on the seventh fret and you now have an E chord. Good luck.

Huckleberry

Thanks

Thanks Huckleberry will give that a go, i take it there is not too many picking songs by the response.
Phil.

I'm a beginner and there are a couple of fingerpicking tunes I've been working on. The first is Aldrine Guerrero's Ukulele Waltz and the other is a version of Aloha Oe. The tabs for the latter are in this songbook. I can't find the link to the Ukulele Waltz tabs but they're out there somewhere. If you have trouble finding them let me know and I'll shoot them to you.

Also, I've been dabbling in these books as my initial exposure to fingerpicking. http://www.pekelosbooks.com/

I hope that helps!

Thanks hopkid will have a look, just found this very good not songs as such 20 fingrpicking tunes have a look.
Phil.

Thanks so much for that songbook, they are great songs for learning, unfortunately im going to have to brush up on some classical music so i can hear what the songs actually sound like but they sounded beautiful played really slow haha

You might want to check out Ukulele Mike's videos on YouTube. There is one for "house of the rising Son" and one for "Still haven't found what I'm looking for" that are pretty basic.

Last edited:
Aloha Huckleberry,
If you know how to make a G chord position...use that same position on the GCE 2nd fret strings.. for your "D" chord 222... let me know how it works for you..MM Stan

Hi CTurner you forgot to put link to the site.
Thanks Phil.

The books by Pekelo are great for beginners. I only have book 1 but I find it a lot more useful as a complete beginner than something like Learning to Play Fingerstyle Solos. www.pekelosbooks.com

Thanks janeray1940 for sharing the Learn to Play Fingerstyle Solos book. I'm gonna get myself a copy of this.

This guy does a good tutorial of Hallelujah and also includes a brief pattern that you could use to pick the song. Its simple enough but sounds really nice I think. Pattern comes in about 3mins 03secs.

Cheers -F

Mahalo nui loa for the nice feedback! I've been busy trying to finish up
Bks 3 & 4 ... but there's too many work trips going on:( !!
pekelo
www.pekelosbooks.com

A little help

I'm a beginner and there are a couple of fingerpicking tunes I've been working on. The first is Aldrine Guerrero's Ukulele Waltz and the other is a version of Aloha Oe. The tabs for the latter are in this songbook. I can't find the link to the Ukulele Waltz tabs but they're out there somewhere. If you have trouble finding them let me know and I'll shoot them to you.

Also, I've been dabbling in these books as my initial exposure to fingerpicking. http://www.pekelosbooks.com/

I hope that helps!

I have been looking for months to find tabs or a solid tutorial for Aldrine's ukulele waltz. Any way you could pass something my way? It would be greatly appreciated.

This guy does a good tutorial of Hallelujah and also includes a brief pattern that you could use to pick the song. Its simple enough but sounds really nice I think. Pattern comes in about 3mins 03secs.

Cheers -F

I really appreciate you posting this. I never considered learning this song. It won't be easy to master, but at least a rookie has a chance. It's really nice that he shows how to do an easy chord change, too. Sure is a beautiful song and I forwarded the video our to our little uke club.

Top Bottom