My little bit of uke evangelism

blender

Reaction score
Back in May my local BMW M/C club had our annual rally (picture the UWC with a lot more motorcycles and no ukes ;).

I was sitting in a quiet area practicing my uke (IIR it was Uncle Rod's chord progressions). A couple of our club members walked by and were interested in my uke. We talked ukes for a bit and Joann mentioned she had an old uke that used to belong to her father. I mentioned posts I had read here that many folks have brought back "attic" ukes and have started playing with those ukes. I suggested she try Aquila strings as a start. Joann thought it would be a nice memory of her father to have the uke again, especially if it was playable.

I ran into Alan and Joann again this past weekend at another motorcycle event. Joann now has her father's uke playable and now has a second uke. Alan thanked me because he said for the first time in 30 years of marriage he knew what to buy her for her birthday! (That is now Joann's second uke.)

Along the way Alan picked up a 3/4 size guitar to play along with Joann (he says he's having some chording issues due to arthritus). I gotta get him to try my tenor Boat Paddle. Maybe I can get another uke convert... ;)

Steve

Very nice. It is amazing how when you put yourself out there by playing in public, potential ukesters come out of hiding.

Good work Steve! I think using a family instrument is a great way to get interested in playing anything, and lots of people have a relative's old uke in the attic. Sounds like you inspired both of them!

It's great when our playing leads to other Ukers coming out, and I agree it would be a nice way to remember her father :D

Thanks for sharing :D

Top Bottom