Kid's bass guitar alternative to UBass

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Been looking at kid's electric basses as an alternative to a $400+ to $995 bass uke. Aways wanted to play bass and I figured it would help my fingering skills and picking. (sounds good anyway) Shortest I can find is 36" overall, a Chinese but nice looking no-name. Found one for just unde $80 shipped. Can't find out the overall length of the OS/Washburn or Jay turser 1/2 size basses. Also heard of a very short Samick Corsair bass. Anyone else investigate these? Know any of their overall lengths?

I guess the most important question should probably be: Hey bass playing ukers, do you think learning the bass would be a distraction or a help in learning to play uke better. I'm a very old fart and learning is slow!

A number of years ago, we bought a small bass for one of our boys. Basically it is the same size as a Fender Strat guitar, but with 4 bass strings and a P bass pickup.

It actually sounded pretty nice and it was only around $100.

A guitar and and a 4 string bass guitar are tuned the same except the bass is an octave lower. So if you know the notes on a guitar, (E, A, D, etc.), they are the same place on a bass guitar so it is really easy to adapt.

Because I played guitar first, then bass, and then ukulele, I never had to go straight from ukulele to bass. If you can learn the bass without trying to incorporate what you know on a uke, it may be easier.

In its simplest form playing a bass is just timing and playing the root notes that are the same as the chords being played. From there you can add more notes and fills that fit the scale; but there is nothing wrong with just playing single notes to add some depth.

John

A number of years ago, we bought a small bass for one of our boys. Basically it is the same size as a Fender Strat guitar, but with 4 bass strings and a P bass pickup.

It actually sounded pretty nice and it was only around $100.

A guitar and and a 4 string bass guitar are tuned the same except the bass is an octave lower. So if you know the notes on a guitar, (E, A, D, etc.), they are the same place on a bass guitar so it is really easy to adapt.

Because I played guitar first, then bass, and then ukulele, I never had to go straight from ukulele to bass. If you can learn the bass without trying to incorporate what you know on a uke, it may be easier.

In its simplest form playing a bass is just timing and playing the root notes that are the same as the chords being played. From there you can add more notes and fills that fit the scale; but there is nothing wrong with just playing single notes to add some depth.

John

Thanks for the info. I learned a little guitar and don't seem to have problems keeping them seperate. Some folks believe that playing more than one instrument expands your musical mind! I guess it depends on the person whether the bass will distract or help me play uke.

I've got a Samick 1/2 size bass.

I looked into smaller basses because I thought it might make life a little easier on my small girl-hands(!) And it did!

I found playing much easier with the shorter scale length, I must admit. I also have a 3/4 scale Jim Deacon P-Bass copy and I also love this bass and find that easy to play, too. Hard to say which I prefer, I think, although I'm slightly leaning towards the 3/4 scale.

Anyhoo, if it helps, here's a pic I posted a while back comparing the sizes of the basses:

5906141162_cd9f734c19.jpg

L-R: Standard size Fender Strat; 1/2 size Samick bass, 3/4 size Deacon bass, friend's full size 4/4 bass.

If you have any questions about the Samick bass, just holler and I'll try and help out :)

Best wishes
Anna

I've got a Samick 1/2 size bass.

I looked into smaller basses because I thought it might make life a little easier on my small girl-hands(!) And it did!

I found playing much easier with the shorter scale length, I must admit. I also have a 3/4 scale Jim Deacon P-Bass copy and I also love this bass and find that easy to play, too. Hard to say which I prefer, I think, although I'm slightly leaning towards the 3/4 scale.

Anyhoo, if it helps, here's a pic I posted a while back comparing the sizes of the basses:

5906141162_cd9f734c19.jpg

L-R: Standard size Fender Strat; 1/2 size Samick bass, 3/4 size Deacon bass, friend's full size 4/4 bass.

If you have any questions about the Samick bass, just holler and I'll try and help out :)

Best wishes
Anna

Thanks for the info. I do like that Samick, but less than $80 for no name clone only with a P Bass headstock is hard to pass up (probably made by same company).

Fernandes Nomad Bass guitar. Best choice in my opinion for short basses.
Find it on eBay. It's quite affordable and I hear it's good quality.

Piezo pickup. You can either plug it in like a regular bass guitar,but there is also a built in amp+speakers

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110704737953&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110704736206&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVT8EL2xKPM

There's also the Ashbory bass, which uses the same strings as the Ubass.. but it's fretless.

Last edited:
Why does it have to be a short bass though? Bigger bass is easier stretching to far frets!

I suppose I do have an affinity for smaller instruments. If that UBass was half of what it is, I'd jump on one, till then????? Got a better look at the Fernandes in this clip....looks cool. Built in practice speaker....hmmm, will check them out, thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom