Who likes wide necks?

France

Reaction score
Sooo who likes wide necks? On a ukulele. I haven't played enough different ukes to have a real opinion but I imagine that my large hands and probably sloppy technique would be advantaged by a wider neck. Thoughts?

is that one of the reasons you're struggling with the MM france?

for me I prefer narrower necks...but I'm a little guy with relatively small hands and slim fingers. Wide necks just too much of a strecth for me.

is that one of the reasons you're struggling with the MM france?

for me I prefer narrower necks...but I'm a little guy with relatively small hands and slim fingers. Wide necks just too much of a strecth for me.
Yeah a bit and the radius seems to make it tighter. I've been spending some quality time with it and enjoying it a bit more but still something not quite right. Trying to work out exactly what that is.

I like the narrow necks. With my playing style, I do a lot of fretting using my thumb coming around from behind the neck. It works fine with even my tenor, but it wouldn't work if I specifically went out and got a uke with a wide neck.

We love wide necks!

We don't go overboard, but the traditional neck widths were set when people were a lot smaller.

We think that as far as the relationship of scale to width - shorter scales need the widest relative widths - as they get really long (we are making 4-string guitars) you need to narrow them back up a bit.

We love wide necks!

We don't go overboard, but the traditional neck widths were set when people were a lot smaller.

We think that as far as the relationship of scale to width - shorter scales need the widest relative widths - as they get really long (we are making 4-string guitars) you need to narrow them back up a bit.

I'm 5'6" tall which is average height (if this was 1492...)

I have played guitar for looooong loooong time. And not so long on ukes. One technique that I almost never used was barring two strings with the same finger. I find I do it frequently on the uke. The wider neck makes it harder for me to get away with that.

Just a thought. Maybe you don't do much two string barring now but you may find it convenient in the future. Makes chord changes much faster sometimes.

I love wide necks, i used to own a Kala KA-TE and the fretboard was small; i could manage playing it but it was tough when my fingers would touch the other strings accidentally.
Right now, i've got a Lanikai SMP-TCA which eliminates that problem for me and i can play much better now.
P.S. i'm a skinny and not very tall guy

I'm a big fan of narrow, vintage-style fretboards. I find it much easier to use barre chords, and they're generally more comfortable for me.

Wide necks never really bothered me as long as it fits in relation to the head. Of course, if the head is huge, it could be a determining factor as to whether a second date will follow. Oh............wait a minute............Are you talking about ukuleles?

I don't mind wide necks but thick necks feel weird for such a small instrument ie my Koaloha felt really thin compared to the Pono I had, which made it a little bit more difficult to play

Wide necks never really bothered me as long as it fits in relation to the head. Of course, if the head is huge, it could be a determining factor as to whether a second date will follow. Oh............wait a minute............Are you talking about ukuleles?
Haha I thought I had nullified any of those jokes by writing 'on a ukulele'. There's always one. Haha

Could the action be the issue...too low or high???
Not sure. Do you think I should have a play around with the height? Do you have to sand the nut down or file the grooves a bit or what? I haven't done any real setup stuff apart from putting strap pins in my Kala. I have had a look and the nut groove on the 1st string is noticeably closer to the edge than the 4th string groove. Sometimes when I'm doing some stretchy stuff on the 1st string I pull it off the fretboard. As I said could be sloppy technique but it's definitely closer.

Best advice I can give is to bite the bullet and take it to a luthier.

For 100 bucks the local luthier here totally brought my guitar to life, new custom shaped bone saddle, new bone nut, fixed the action, correctly adusted the truss rod, re strung it, the difference was stunning, im sure a good uke would only benifit from a bit of loving tinkering from a set of professional and experienced hands.

Aloha France,
Sorry to hear about you issues with you Mya Moe...Yeah neck widths...it's personal preference...I know big guy like IZ who plays sopranos...it takes time to get used to them...they have their
advantages and disadvantages in both ways....with thin necks it gets crowded but you can bar the D and E chord with one finger...advantage.. you mentioned that your A string nut groove is
cut close to the edge...it could be the tighness of the nut or was cut off...gotta see it to tell. if you bend the string and it slides off the fretboard it ts too close to the edge cut. ...and the action is personal perference..I like mine about 3mm for picking and a little lower for strumming...overall 3mm is fine for me...I use a old posicle stick at the 12th fret to guage that.. here is something on
setups..hope it helps..take it in and let someone look at it who knows about uke setups...http://reviews.ebay.com/Ukulele-What-is-setup-Action-and-Intonation-mean_W0QQugidZ10000000004902503 hope it helps..here's another one on how
to do the nut...try to barr the first fret, if it is hard to do, it's probally high...but measure first....here's video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0KsLSlzJiw
Hope it helps, Good Luck MM Stan

Last edited:
Top Bottom