Kala KA-SMHC Solid Mahogany Concert

EddyAu

Reaction score
Hello,
I was just wondering if the Kala KA-SMHC Solid Mahogany Concert was any good and whats the difference between this concert uke and any other kala concert uke
Thanks

Well, it's an all-solid mahogany model, so the tone will be very warm and rich.. even more so after the initial "break-in" period. All solid-wood instruments loosen up over time as the wood vibrates from being played, this causes the tone to improve. I would say that about a year after getting it, you would notice a huge difference in sound. The Kala spruce-top series has laminate back and sides, so only the top is solid.. but most would agree that the majority of the instruments sound comes from the top-panel anyway. With spruce, the sound can appear to be much louder and brighter than mahogany.. which is warm and balanced. Whatever you get, make sure you purchase a humidifier to protect the wood! If solid-wood becomes too dry then it can shrink and actually crack.

The KA-SMHC is a really nice instrument, especially for the price. I'm sure that you would be very happy with it. If you're not comfortable/ready to set it up youself, then make sure you order from a good online-shop like UkeRepublic, MGM, MimsUkes, etc; they're all very knowledgable and will set-up the instrument for you so that it's comfortable to play and will sound great. You can also stop by a local music store to try it out and make sure you're happy!

Good Luck!

Love this uke, just missed one on ebay for $152 by reason of indecision. I nearly won one earlier on ebay that went over my $200 limit. I may still end up with one sooner or later. I'm also a sucker for the tortoise binding.

ahk, cool thanks guys, just a quick question about the humidifiers, i live in melbourne australia do you think i really need one?

Most experts recommend a relative humidity of 45-55%, going up to 70% is safe as well. It's very difficult to maintain an exact humidity level. According to the information I read for the current RH index of Melbourne, it should be fine without one. However, since the instrument is going to spend most of it's time indoors, (and perhaps with the windows closed) if you have a dry apartment then there's no harm in keeping a humidifier inside of it's case when it isn't being played.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Hey there Eddy,
I have had one of these for a couple of months now and I think it's great.
As said before, very warm and mellow but with quite a 'deep' sounding quality which surprised me for a soprano.
Mine came with aquilla strings and these came right off after the first week to be replaced with Worth medium brown strings (a great improvement)
Sheepy

hey guys, cheers for the help, just a quickie sheepy and stan its listed as a concert but you guys are saing soprano? :S
thanks in advance

They were just referring to the solid-mahogany line that Kala produces. They also make a soprano version which has a review posted online. I think they just misread your post. Anyway, the concert version is also very nice. Are you ordering from Hawaii Music Supply? They have a great demo video available on their website! (they only stock the concert model btw)

Sorry, yes...Concert you say:eek:
All I can say is that if the concert is of the same standard as the sop' I think you will be a very happy man! (also I think the Aquillas suit the Concert scale quite nicely)
Sheepy

Ok, Cheers guys you've been more than helpful.
Cheers :)

Top Bottom