How hard to switch to friction pegs

roxhum

Reaction score
I am kicking around the idea of switching from geared to friction pegs on my Mainland soprano. How hard is that to do? How do you do it? Keeping in mind I am not particularly mechanically inclined. And what do I do with the screw holes on the back of the uke when I am done?
Thanks....

You should send Mainland Mike a pm and seen if he has any suggestions. Perhaps, he will have some friction tuners that will make the switch pretty simple. As far as the screw holes are concerned, some folks just put the screws back in, I used a wood filler pencil trying to match the wood.

The holes had to be reamed out to accomidate the geared tuners, I think you will most likely be able to convert it back to friction tuners, but you'll have to make sure they aren't sitting too loose in the holes or they may rattle and cause a buzz. The easiest way to fill the screw holes is probably a little wood glue with saw dust and then touch it up with a brown sharpie.

... And what do I do with the screw holes on the back of the uke when I am done?

Pretend they are not there or cover them with a band aid. The choice is yours. In reality, there is usually not much you can do. You could fill them in, but they will still be there.

Why not see if anyone has a uke with friction pegs that wants to trade? Friction pegs aren't exactly popular in the US.

By the way, I think you are right to be considering friction pegs. They stay in tune well, they give the uke a much better balance, they make it quicker to put new strings on and many would say that they look more elegant. The only downside is that they are a tad more tricky to tune, particularly on stage in front of a large, unsympathetic audience.

Last edited:
Aloha Roxy,
Althought you might not like the geared tuners, they are easier to use....the problem of balance and looks to me doesn't outweigh the the friction tuners sensitivity to tune....you may be
dissappointed with the outcome after all that trouble..compared to just the screw holes...ha ha.. think twice about it.. and all the trouble and money..shoots..

I agree with Ken's thoughts on the positive aspects of friction tuners. I prefer them and would not want geared tuners on any instrument.

I will give an opposing view. My experience with friction tuners is they are difficult to tune and will not stay in tune. My best instruments have friction tuners and absolutely stay in tune. I have found no disadvantages to geared tuners. If it were me, I'd trade for an instrument that was made for the type of tuners you want. Wishing you the best outcome.

I agree with Ken's thoughts on the positive aspects of friction tuners. I prefer them and would not want geared tuners on any instrument.

peghead tuners are the best of both worlds, lightweight and looks of friction, accuracy of geared.

ANY instrument? Have you ever tried keeping a steel string guitar in tune with friction tuners? There's a reason why geared tuners were invented, and it's the same reason that we now have automobiles instead of horse drawn carriages.

Don't get me wrong though, I think friction pegs have their place on smaller instruments for those who appreciate their aesthetics and the balance that they lend to a nice instrument... BUT having to carry around a screwdriver in your case is certainly a bit annoying. I seem to always come across threads where people mention swapping/upgrading/replacing their friction tuners... If they work so well, why replace them? I have geared tuners on all of my guitars that I've never had to perform a second of maintenance on.. more time for playing :D.

Anyway, to the OP..

How unbalanced does your soprano feel? If it's only slightly off, I would definitely recommend keeping those geared tuners. Since you're thinking of changing them though, I would second the recommendation to just swap with somebody else.

Thank you everyone for your reply's. I have both friction and geared tuners and do not see what the big deal about friction tuners are. They stay in tune well for me and I don't carry a screw driver around accept for when I am changing strings. I like the lighter head is why I want to change them. I could trade I suppose but....

I don't think I would modify a uke to use friction pegs, especially if it's going to be the trouble that it sounds like. I prefer geared tuners, but after getting my Ohana, I've learned to appreciate frictions as well. Pegheds are great fro my limited experience with them, but I don't know if they're worth the trouble and money it would take to put them on, at least to me.

I was Mr. Anti-friction tuners about a year ago and they can be a bit of a pain to get an instrument in tune. Since getting a KoAloha concert and now a Black Bear soprano, I've grown to appreciate friction tuners. They do stay in tune better and the balance in a small instrument is a HUGE deal for me. I had a smaller tenor with heavy geared tuners and play havoc with my hands. I prefer open geared tuners on tenors and some concerts, but for most concerts and sopranos, I definitely prefer friction.

Mainland uses some pretty nice friction tuners, if you haven't had them for too long, I would wait a while and see if you grow to appreciate them more.

Thank you everyone for your reply's. I have both friction and geared tuners and do not see what the big deal about friction tuners are. They stay in tune well for me and I don't carry a screw driver around accept for when I am changing strings. I like the lighter head is why I want to change them. I could trade I suppose but....

Aloha Roxanne,
Here's an analogy for ya...when I was young I had this hot rod and it had a automatic transmission and I wanted a manual, I went around and everybody to just get another car with a manual...
it would more cst effective...Stan

Wait, here is the solution to the whole problem, just buy another Mainland which has the exact tuners you want.......Then you have both.....another uke never hurt no one! Go on, you deserve it!

Ha ha, buy another uke. I prefer friction tuners but it does seem like too much of a hassle. Especially because of what Mainland Mike said. Maybe I should trade or sell......

Wait, here is the solution to the whole problem, just buy another Mainland which has the exact tuners you want.......Then you have both.....another uke never hurt no one! Go on, you deserve it!

+1

...and a few random words 'cause the phrase "+1" wasn't long enough

ANY instrument? Have you ever tried keeping a steel string guitar in tune with friction tuners? There's a reason why geared tuners were invented, and it's the same reason that we now have automobiles instead of horse drawn carriages.

Oh, I thought we were talking about ukes. Maybe I should have clarified my position. I don't care for them on trombones, pianos or bagpipes. They are fine on the African nose flute. ;-)

FWIW- I don't carry a screwdriver for use with friction pegs. They seem to stay in adjustment just fine for me.

FWIW- I don't carry a screwdriver for use with friction pegs. They seem to stay in adjustment just fine for me.[/QUOTE]

I agree. What's up with carrying around a screwdriver? Are people loosening and tightening every time you tune your uke? If that is the case no wonder you don't like them. I think good friction tuners are actually easier. Just a tap to tune rather than turning a geared tuner around a half turn. I think the friction tuners get a bum rap.

Top Bottom