A Year Later....

Mandarb

Reaction score
I joined UU a year ago today and pretty much started my ukulele adventure at the same time. It has been a great experience so far. I have learned a lot from UU and I have made some great friends. I have also been very fortunate to get some cool ukes along the way that I really enjoy playing.

This has been and will be a uke filled week. On Sunday we had a party at my Mom's house for family and friends. Fellow UUer Skitzic was able to make it to the party and jam a bit with me and put on a mini concert. Skitzic and I were on the front page of a local paper about a week ago featuring the uke group that we formed....so we had people at the party teasing us and calling us celebrities. They asked us to play some tunes. On Monday I was at my brother-in-law's house for a picnic. I got to jam with his two year old daughter - I was playing my uke and she was drumming on her little plastic tray....it only lasted about a minute but it made my day. On Wednesday night my wife and I are going to see Jake Shimabukuro play at a local venue. On Thursday I will be jamming with some fellow UUers in Jim Thorpe, PA.

Anyway, it has been a great experience thus far and I am definitely a better person for learning the uke and enjoying all that it offers. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I give you credit for getting out there and playing for people, even if it is just your family. My playing after one year is still mostly confined to my 15 month daughter who doesn't know a bad note from a good one.

I give you credit for getting out there and playing for people, even if it is just your family. My playing after one year is still mostly confined to my 15 month daughter who doesn't know a bad note from a good one.
Don't think thats bad. Kids are great critics. If you are not playing well they WILL walk away ..... or tell you! Ha!

I joined UU a year ago today and pretty much started my ukulele adventure at the same time. It has been a great experience so far. I have learned a lot from UU and I have made some great friends. I have also been very fortunate to get some cool ukes along the way that I really enjoy playing.

This has been and will be a uke filled week. On Sunday we had a party at my Mom's house for family and friends. Fellow UUer Skitzic was able to make it to the party and jam a bit with me and put on a mini concert. Skitzic and I were on the front page of a local paper about a week ago featuring the uke group that we formed....so we had people at the party teasing us and calling us celebrities. They asked us to play some tunes. On Monday I was at my brother-in-law's house for a picnic. I got to jam with his two year old daughter - I was playing my uke and she was drumming on her little plastic tray....it only lasted about a minute but it made my day. On Wednesday night my wife and I are going to see Jake Shimabukuro play at a local venue. On Thursday I will be jamming with some fellow UUers in Jim Thorpe, PA.

Anyway, it has been a great experience thus far and I am definitely a better person for learning the uke and enjoying all that it offers. Thanks for reading.

Well we are celebrities! We are ukulele rock stars! Jim Thorpe will be rocked on Thursday!

Congrats Mandarb on your accomplishments.....you are an inspiration!!! :cheers:

RAFE!!!! You're back! You and Tammy are celebrities. I hope next time I see you you will remember me -- one of the little people.

Seriously, your year has been fantastic. And it sounds to me like a lot of fun.

Last edited:
We love having you, Rafe! Your picture in the paper was amazing - and you were the star for sure!

Congrats on your 1 year anniversary with UU....I feel the same with you...UU is the place to be....Made alot of good friends too....thank you to all of you..Happy Strummings, MM Stan

Well we are celebrities! We are ukulele rock stars! Jim Thorpe will be rocked on Thursday!

Post the picture! Congrats to UU's new stars! And to think I already have your autograph.

Congrats! It's coming up to my year in August/September! Yay for getting out there and playing! Inspiration! :D

Don't think thats bad. Kids are great critics. If you are not playing well they WILL walk away ..... or tell you! Ha!

Oh nooooooooooo! My grandson covers his ears and says, "stop! You are hurting my ears"

Mandarb, Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I started in August last year and an adventure it has been. I played music with other people for the first time in my long life and it was amazing. I love the uke, the UU forum and all the generous people that hang out here. Congrats on a great ukulele year and may you have a lifetime of more!

I have done several uke performances with some other UUers and I have done one open mic with Skitzic - they were all a lot of fun.

RAFE!!!! You're back! You and Tammy are celebrities. I hope next time I see you you will remember me -- one of the little people.

Seriously, your year has been fantastic. And it sounds to me like a lot of fun.

It has been a great uke year. I have learned a lot from UU and made some great friends. Plus I have had a great time playing the uke - it is a constant learning process but it is fun and relaxing.

Awesome Mandarb. Yeah, my 12 months is coming up in a couple of weeks too and it does get you to thinking, eh. What a lot has happenned this past year. But you know what, it's the people...the beautiful people around this place that I hold dear. I'm sure you do as well. Thanks for the story and the itinerary for this week sounds like heaven when we get there. Congratulations on your performances mate. And enjoy the Jake Shimabukuro concert tonight. Cheers.

Awesome Mandarb. Yeah, my 12 months is coming up in a couple of weeks too and it does get you to thinking, eh. What a lot has happenned this past year. But you know what, it's the people...the beautiful people around this place that I hold dear. I'm sure you do as well. Thanks for the story and the itinerary for this week sounds like heaven when we get there. Congratulations on your performances mate. And enjoy the Jake Shimabukuro concert tonight. Cheers.

Thanks. I got to see Jake last October and it was great. I look forward to seeing him again.

Top Bottom