Humidity?

Flycracker

Reaction score
I have read comments relative to the importance of humidity for our ukes. Is there a range of humidity that is considered best.
Don't want to have that Mahogany develop cracks or warps.

Thanks
Rich

Solid wood musical instruments fare best in 40-50% relative humidity. Lower humidity can result in wood shrinkage, finish crazing, and in extreme cases, cracks. Low humidity is the real enemy here; while hight humidity can have negative effects, it's not nearly as much as a threat as low humidity. If you're in South Carolina in July, low humidity is not likely to be an issue, but it probably is in the winter.

Getting the proper humidity level is not difficult; if you keep your ukes in the same room most of the time, you can humidify the room with a room humidifier (your lungs will like it, too!). If your ukes travel frequently (even from your house to your buddy's house), a case humidifier may be the best option. These are relatively inexpensive and widely available. Don't trust the cheap hygrometers they put in inexpensive uke cases; they'd be more accurate if they were painted on! :)

I live in an island with 78% relative humidity with a +/- 2 % range on the yearly average. Temperature is also high in the 82 yearly average, Caribbean so pretty constant. I am often concerned with changes, especially if my instruments (guitars and ukes) are in my bedroom with Air-conditioning. do i have to be concerned about this?

Top Bottom