Worth strings clear-- brown

Flycracker

Reaction score
Torn tween the two for a Mainland classic mahogany tenor. Clear or the brown? Sure would like to hear some opinions re: feel, sound.
Thanks,
Rich

Well now, that's a bummer. Wanted this posted on Uke general discussion. I'll try again.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I much prefer the clears. I love the look of the brown, but forvme, it always seemed as though the clears were brighter and had more clarity (both in high and low g strings).

I've got Worth clears (CMs) on my Mainland mahogany concert, and it feels like something is missing in the tone with them. It doesn't sound bad, but it's a little thinner in the midrange than I like, somewhere between 600Hz and 800Hz if I had to guess. I'm thinking about either going back to Aquilas, or trying the Martin M600s on it next.

Okay, just to throw another opinion in and confuse you even more, I've tried Worths browns and clears in both high and low G as well and I prefer the browns because they just sound a bit "warmer" to me. The clears did seem to be a bit "brighter" at first, but they seemed to go dull fairly quickly.

Tactile wise, there's really no difference (they're both fluorocarbons), although you'll definitely notice a difference compared to Aquilas, which to me feel harsh and hard on my fingertips. The Worths just feel much more fluid under my fingers. Then again, I've been a big fan of fluorocarbons on my classical guitars.

At first I thought I wouldn't like the darker color of the browns. First uke I put them on was a mahogany top and they blended in beautifully.

Just replaced the Aquilas that came on my Mainland red cedar with Worth browns and I think it made a big improvement in sound and feel.

I have yet to try the Martins, though a lot of people here have said good things about them.

Depends on whether you like the brighter tones, or the warmer "woody" tones. I would think a Mainland tenor would sound amazing with browns.....unless you want the "bright" sound. They are both good, just different.........strokes for different...........folks!

I had Worth Clears on my Nalu mahogany tenor. The Nalu sounded good, but I still felt it could have sounded better.
So, since I had another set of Browns (you get enough string for two sets), after stringing my Kamaka 6-string with them (which sounds fabulous), I tried them on the Nalu.

In my opinion, the Browns are much more clear and easier to play. The Clears felt "fat" and sounded duller, especially the C string, compared to the Browns, which felt more lively to me.

So, FWIW, I like the Browns better than the Clears on my mahogany tenor.

Last edited:
like the browns and like the fremont blacks even better.

like the browns and like the fremont blacks even better.

+1

I'm a little OCD about darker strings on my ukes, just like the look better. Prefer warmer sounds in general so of the two Worth choices, browns will give you more mellow and warmer than clears. But threw some Fremont blacks on my Kamaka tenor and BAM! There's my sound... for THAT instrument.

I say have some fun and try them both and pick the one that speaks to you. You'll be amazed at what learn about sound and your instrument.

Although, as much as mmstan has been recommending the Alohi's... Had to order a set for myself. That's some high praise.

Right now, Fremont Blacklines are winning for me as well, mostly because of the greater sustain. I do have clears on my Vita and they are what everyone says they are... bright (perfect on the Vita). They seem well suited to Spruce.
Since I began playing I have had Browns on my only Ukulele that does not have a Spruce top, and they are so warm and wonderful on it. It is my Martin 3M and I decided the first time I heard that combination I would not experiment there.
In comparison, I also agree that the Browns are lighter gauge and more fluid, no C string boom...that is where I would go with mahogany if I were going that way. I am by no means a great player, but I do have some videos with my Martin that use the worth Browns on them to give you an idea of the tone they produce.
This is seven months ago, so I have gotten a little better...but you will get the basic idea
http://www.youtube.com/user/boweewowee?feature=mhee#p/u/15/NHZCFwzHnt8

If you're looking for clear, bright sound, perhaps you could consider Orcas. They're flourocarbon like the Worths, and have more than a bit of "pling" to them. I had them as OEM on my aNueNue and they definitely gave the whole jumping flea sound. I recently swapped them out for Worth Browns in low G (which are still settling in), and already notice a more subtle sound.

If not those, I would second mm stan's suggestion to give the alohis an audition.

But, you know, it's just like my two cents.

Top Bottom