Fat fingers?

NYG010

Reaction score
Is it just me or are my fingers too fat to play a simple D chord?? they just don't fit within the fret! and I know something does not sound right I have a fender tenor.. Any suggestions?

Have to check out that left hand technique. I rotate my hand up till it's touching the headstock to easily fret a D

Have you tried doing the barre chord d chord formation? It might be easier for you to use the 2225 fingering.

Just take practice to loosen up the dexterity and you learn about smooth chord transitions....a few years you'll be able to bend your finger across the three strings lol....here's a little secret,
you know how to make the G chord.....well do that same position on the GCE strings on the second fret.... hope it helps...dont Fret..ha ha good Luck...MM Stan

Is it just me or are my fingers too fat to play a simple D chord?? they just don't fit within the fret! and I know something does not sound right I have a fender tenor.. Any suggestions?

So... had the same uke & the same problem. Try using your index finger to "cover"/barre the G & C strings & your middle finger on the E string. This works well for me.

Just take practice to loosen up the dexterity and you learn about smooth chord transitions....a few years you'll be able to bend your finger across the three strings lol....here's a little secret,
you know how to make the G chord.....well do that same position on the GCE strings on the second fret.... hope it helps...dont Fret..ha ha good Luck...MM Stan
Thank you, your always helping me out in particular! Mahalo bruddah

So... had the same uke & the same problem. Try using your index finger to "cover"/barre the G & C strings & your middle finger on the E string. This works well for me.

Thank god its not just me, I'm thinking of getting rid of it for the Mango Makai.

One more for 2 finger D. My left ring finger is busted at the first joint and is about a half inch lower that it should be at the tip so it just gets in the way on lots of chords.

I do a one finger d chord and have always found that the easiest.

Try all the different formations you can think of and see which one suits you then spend time practiceing that formation until it is natural to you.

I've had the same problem before but do not anymore..... My fingers are the same and the uke is the exact same old reliable, so I think I just got used to it somehow. Barreing across the second fret as an alternative is a possibility too I think, it sounds pretty similar to me really and I've seen it recommeneded before.
-F

Yep, I do a D with two fingers or even just my index finger as a partial barre across the three strings, depending on the width of the neck and the action (if action is high you need a lot of "reverse fold dexterity" in your finger to clear the A string when doing a barre). Usually this works out to a two-finger D on tenor and concert necks and a one-finger barre on the rare occasions that I play a soprano scale.

John

Yup - I do the same thing....works great.

I guess the 2 finger method is more common than I thought, I do that too.

I just barre the three strings with my middle finger. My middle finger has a weird bend to it so it doesn't hit the A.

Count me in on the two finger approach. Two fingers for the D chord and two fingers of single malt or a good rum and that D chord never sounded so sweet.

lol. i'm sure Israel Kamakawiwo`ole had mo fat fingas den all us.

This. Whenever I come across a chording problem I always think to myself that if Bruddah Iz could manage it, I can.

Oh, and chalk me up for another vote for the two finger-D. It's the E that gives me nightmares.

You can rest assured that those of us with unusually skinny fingers have problems too. I can manage the D easily, but I find many bar chords a bit of a nightmare. My fingers just don't have that much surface area.

Curse you, people with medium-sized fingers. Cuuuuuuuuuurse yoooooooou!

Top Bottom