Not Satisfied!!

NYG010

Reaction score
So I recieved my Fender Nohea about 10 days ago and at first I was a little boy on christmas tearing up that UPS box to open my beautiful uke. It sounded amazing to me..I'm sitting here now playing it and I must say I am not FULLY satisfied. I feel as if the tone is dull and or getting duller (if that makes sense!). I'm thinking of switching up to my original choice of the Solid Mango Makai, however people tell me solid wood would sound even duller because it is not as highly glossed and finished like the Fender laminate koa is. Any suggestions anyone?, am I going crazy?

What kind of strings came on it?

So I recieved my Fender Nohea about 10 days ago and at first I was a little boy on christmas tearing up that UPS box to open my beautiful uke. It sounded amazing to me..I'm sitting here now playing it and I must say I am not FULLY satisfied. I feel as if the tone is dull and or getting duller (if that makes sense!). I'm thinking of switching up to my original choice of the Solid Mango Makai, however people tell me solid wood would sound even duller because it is not as highly glossed and finished like the Fender laminate koa is. Any suggestions anyone?, am I going crazy?

I didn't care much for the fender either. I tried to give it away to one son and that son returned it. haha.

Can't comment on the Fender nor the Makai, having played neither. However, the people who told you that "solid wood would sound even duller because it is not as highly glossed and finished like the Fender laminate koa is"-- well, you should stop listening to those people. All other things being equal, solid wood is likely to be more resonant than laminate, and high gloss finish should at best have no impact on the tone, and at worst (when it's applied with a trowel, as it often is on inexpensive instruments) may actually dull resonance.

Based on the Fender website, it came with Aquilas with a wound c string. Aquilas usually make laminate ukes sound about as good as they are going to. Did you buy it from a place that does set ups on their ukes? May need an inspection to see it it's set up properly. Maybe try some Ko'olau Alohi low g's before you give up on it....or if you are desperately unhappy, return it and eat the postage.

Can't comment on the Fender nor the Makai, having played neither. However, the people who told you that "solid wood would sound even duller because it is not as highly glossed and finished like the Fender laminate koa is"-- well, you should stop listening to those people. All other things being equal, solid wood is likely to be more resonant than laminate, and high gloss finish should at best have no impact on the tone, and at worst (when it's applied with a trowel, as it often is on inexpensive instruments) may actually dull resonance.

Haha this reply was actually from a Guitar Center sales person...Anyone have any other opinions?? The Fender came with Nylguts..

I have a oiled solid wood uke and it sings....resonation and substain.....who says they don't sound good without gloss....

Solid wood instruments are always going to be of better quality than laminates. I'm not gonna go into deep detail because RichM pretty much nailed it, but if your uke is sounding dull then I would recommend switching to some aquila strings as the fastest fix. If your uke is already sporting said strings then I guess it's just not a very good sounding instrument as aquilas usually bring out the best in laminates. Also I've learned that more often than not Guitar Center Sales men do not know what they're talking about when it comes to ukes! A guitar salesman told me that buzzing is common on all ukuleles just to get me to buy one! I think If you're gonna buy a uke you should buy it from a place that specializes in ukes!

I can say the Makai mango sound great.
Have you heard one in person? Do you have one? I'm trying to find someone who does! Thanks for the help and information guys. Again you all are quick on the trigger to answer my dying need questions! thanks.

Haha this reply was actually from a Guitar Center sales person...Anyone have any other opinions?? The Fender came with Nylguts..

that is b/c he wanted you to buy that uke:) Contact ukerepublic and get a makai. Do NOT go through Guitar Center (you can if you want but i wouldn't).

Last edited:
what is the MT-90? isn't that just the makai tenor mango?

Yup. It was'nt on that site that you linked for me, but either way does anyone else have one that would like to chime in on the sound quality? I think I made the beginner mistake about going with the Fender..I will admit its still gorgeous!

Yup. It was'nt on that site that you linked for me, but either way does anyone else have one that would like to chime in on the sound quality? I think I made the beginner mistake about going with the Fender..I will admit its still gorgeous!

i have played them. Not bad at all. If i wasn't addicted to Mele and KoAloha, I'd have one.

i have played them. Not bad at all. If i wasn't addicted to Mele and KoAloha, I'd have one.

You have been a huge help thanks bud. I know you cant generalize but as far as Mango wood goes how do you rank them in terms of quality and tone? Mellow or bright? High quality than maple and mahogany?

You have been a huge help thanks bud. I know you cant generalize but as far as Mango wood goes how do you rank them in terms of quality and tone? Mellow or bright? High quality than maple and mahogany?

i once owned a spalted mango pono and it had a sweet sound but it didn't sound as good as the mango on these makais and mainlands. I think the sound is brighter than mahog but not as bright as koa. As far as better quality than maple or mahog? I have never heard a maple top only maple back and sides with spruce top. Your sound is generated from the top. I love mahogany. I like that mellow sound that mahog produces so I would buy a nice mahog over mango if i could only choose one.

I do like mango though as well. I think you will be very happy with the sound of the mango. it is bright and yet mellow at same time to me.

Top Bottom