"Railroad Bill"

H

Hippie Dribble

1890's. traditional. African-American.

Of all the African-American bad men immortalised in song, Railroad Bill comes closest to being a social bandit. The song's story and central character is most often linked to the life of Morris Slater. And yet the ballads portray him as an evil man that the facts of his life do not reflect. For more about his story see N. Cohen's book, 'Long Steel Rail'.

recorded at the Lullaby Cottage, July 2011, on a Beansprout maple "Kumalae" style concert ukulele

"Railroad Bill"

(C)Railroad Bill, Railroad Bill
(E7)He never worked (F)and he never will
And it's (C)ride, (G7)sally (C)ride

Railroad Bill he was a mighty mean man
he shot the midnight lantern out of the brakeman's hand
And it's ride, sally ride

Railroad Bill he took my wife
said if I didn't like it he was gonna take my life

I'm headed up the mountains, going out west
38 Special sticking out of my vest

Buy me a pistol just as long as my arm
Kill everybody that ever done me harm

Thanks for taking a look everyone. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and I hope you like it too.

Sad in a way, as I just sold this little ukulele today...this was something of our last hurrah together. :(

Awesome song! Just spent the last 10 minutes memorizing the lyrics and chords as I played. I can't do all that fancy note picking, though. It reminds me a bit of the stuff the Carolina Chocolate Drops play. Thanks for posting!

As always I loved it. There was a sadness to it seemed fitting for your goodbye song on the Beansprout. I am falling in love with my Black Bear I bought from you. Thank you so much.

Love the Beansprout so much...prolly should have bought it, but I need another like,
Well, there is already a hole in my head.
No worries- you make magic on all of them.
Such a sad one mate- beautifully done. And this one sending me running for the archives for I have never heard it, which makes it even better.

Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Sounds so sweet, loved the melody and very reconizable.....even tho it was a sad song..loved your rendition of it..you must have practiced all day on this baby...its great...thanks for sharing..MM Stan

Last edited:
Loved it!!!!!!!! thanks so much for sharing. I will ad to the Ukulele Blues Group page.

Thanks Carrie, Canuke, Roxie, Dave, Stan and Phil. Awesome and kind words you guys...so rapt you liked it. Yeah, I fell in love with this tune after Phil posted a thread in Uke Talk showing Aaron Keim playing it on a taropatch. That was sweet as ...

Canuke, I love the Carolina Chocolate Drops . The fact that my playing even reminded you of them makes me feel special. Thanks!

Roxie, glad you're falling in love with the Black Bear. Was really hoping you'd love it.

Dave, don't mention the Beansprout mate. Too sad to contemplate it at the moment. Is this what they call buyers remorse? Shucks, now I 'm experiencing it first hand for the first time and it aint good.

Phil, thanks for doing that mate, and for the thread the other day. It got me to learn a new song.

Blessings guys, and thanks for commenting. :)

Eugene, it sounds great! I would like it if you could give lessons on how to play ukulele to me. Oh and I like how the uke matches your shirt...

Paul

Hey Paul! Thanks for the comments mate. And I'm glad you noticed the trouble I went to colour co-ordinate everything. I pulled out all stops on this one!!! :eek:

Wow, Jon, you really outdid yourself on that one. Great feel and a nicely balanced mix of pickin' and singing.

John

OK- yeah, first post...totally knee jerk. Now I am returning several times a day to watch this one- really freaking good Eugene.
Really really good.

John and Dave, thanks guys! Really though, if you want to hear a far superior performance of the tune, watch this:

Aaron Keim playing a home-made taropatch. :)

Right mate- Aaron is a brilliant performer and builder, but I figure you nailed every nuance of this...and if you did it from just watching it, well, our friendship is over (just kidding). He also does not have your voice- which is packed full of emotion on this tune where Aaron's singing is lifeless.
Just calling your bluff boss- the tune is magic.

Top Bottom