Lute like uke?

freackykit

Reaction score
I say lute but really something similar to the Baroq-ulele which I have seen mixed comments about concerning volume but dunno about tone.

Are their any other alternative lute/ uke combos, or any lutherers making them atm...UAS strikes for something a bit different?

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. I would prefer fixed frets...not that lute like lol

We carry them both and they are really awesome especially if you want an early music style. Volume is great on these as they have quite a large cavity, principle like a pineapple ukulele. The backs are gorgeous too with staves of contrasting wood , lacewood or rosewood.

If I was deciding between the two, I'd take the tenor baroque ukulele. The lute uke seems a little lacking in fret access.

Thanks you all for your comments.

Pippin probably sums it up for me,

I have been tempted to buy one... I have resisted, thus far.

It's still there in my mind...just going to do more research and hope this uke gets more exposure.

...Serious instrument or Gimmick?

Thanks all

Chris

The Ohana Vita looks a bit like a lute (sort of).
And it has absolutely positive reviews regarding tone and volume. Truly beautiful, great value uke.

Hiay Kissing and thanks for that...

Must admit had looked at the Ohana Vita and it may be a contender. I think I am right that it is a soprano neck even though because of the size of the body and has concert strings. That wouldn't ultimately put me off if I made the choice, just something to bear in mind,

Chris

I have a Baroq-ulele and it is well made and projects well. It is made by the largest Oud manufacturer in Pakistan.
I did change the strings to Worths and is sounds even better. The moveable frets have yet to move for me, and from what I read should last a long time.
The instrument is not for strumming, but does sounds very nice playing lute music. I purchase all of Jamie Holdings lute-to-ukulele transcriptions and am trying to work through them now that I'm on vacation.
Another instrument to consider for lute music is a 6 string uke. If you change to 2 high A's it does a nice job too for lute music... and is a good strummer.

I have a Baroq-ulele and it is well made and projects well.
The moveable frets have yet to move for me, and from what I read should last a long time.
The instrument is not for strumming, but does sounds very nice playing lute music.
Are you confusing it with the lute version? The baroquele I have has fixed frets and is just fine for strumming.

It needs a strap (mine did come with a nice wooden end pin for attaching one), and even then, it's hard to control the round back from sliding around on your gut.

Honestly? It's just a standard uke made into a novelty design. It's cute, but IMO it's not really anything special.

Are you confusing it with the lute version? The baroquele I have has fixed frets and is just fine for strumming.

It needs a strap (mine did come with a nice wooden end pin for attaching one), and even then, it's hard to control the round back from sliding around on your gut.

Honestly? It's just a standard uke made into a novelty design. It's cute, but IMO it's not really anything special.

Oops... yes, I should have written Lute Kulele

Anyone tried one of these..?

Blue Moon F Tenor Ukulele

It has the look although for the price it is probably laminate.

Chris

Top Bottom