Opinions?

NYG010

Reaction score
I'd agree with that.

And it sures looks like a nice instrument. Lanikai is a well known brand too in terms of Ukuleles of course so thats positive.

Cheers -F

Hi NY, I've been following your flurry of posts and would like to ask you something:
Are you able to go to any shops in your area and actually play some different ukuleles? You might find something that YOU like is different from what we all like. When I bought my first ukulele, a Lanikai LU21-T that I still have and still enjoy playing by the way, I played a number of different models and even though I had never played an ukulele before, I held them in my hand and got the one that felt most comfortable to me. Looks did not have much to do with it at that time. Sure, there were several that looked better and sounded better but they were also out of my budget. I'm only asking because I cannot imagine buying a musical instrument without ever having held it in my hand before I buy it. I realize that geography or mobility may prevent you from doing that but if it is at all possible, please try and get someplace you can try an ukulele before you buy your next one.

I have played one of the Fender ukuleles, a Pa`ina. I like Fender Guitars and own one, so naturally I wanted an ukulele to match. I thought it was OK, but I did not need to get one after I played it. I just fear that YOU may not like the Lanikai after you actually get it and may even prefer your Fender. I have played one of those Lanikai Mango ukuleles and I liked it, but I would not pay that much for one, but that's just me. Only you will know what makes sense for you.

Oh, and as long as I am rambling here, for the same $ from the same store I would buy
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/pono-mt-tenor-mahogany
but again, that's just me!

I am not familiar with the ukulele, but as suggested on the other thread, you may want to contact Mim (http://www.mimsukes.com/) if you are looking to replace your Fender with a Lanikai and need a good source. There are a few people who belong to UU that sell ukuleles and have good reputations... Mim, Mike at Mainland and Mike at Uke Republic also. MGM was right at the top when he was selling ukuleles.

I have no problems with Hawaiian Music Supply, and they may be great, but if I were looking to buy a ukulele and had no clue, I'd look to active UU members who will do their best to fit your needs.

John

Hi NY, I've been following your flurry of posts and would like to ask you something:
Are you able to go to any shops in your area and actually play some different ukuleles? You might find something that YOU like is different from what we all like. When I bought my first ukulele, a Lanikai LU21-T that I still have and still enjoy playing by the way, I played a number of different models and even though I had never played an ukulele before, I held them in my hand and got the one that felt most comfortable to me. Looks did not have much to do with it at that time. Sure, there were several that looked better and sounded better but they were also out of my budget. I'm only asking because I cannot imagine buying a musical instrument without ever having held it in my hand before I buy it. I realize that geography or mobility may prevent you from doing that but if it is at all possible, please try and get someplace you can try an ukulele before you buy your next one.

I have played one of the Fender ukuleles, a Pa`ina. I like Fender Guitars and own one, so naturally I wanted an ukulele to match. I thought it was OK, but I did not need to get one after I played it. I just fear that YOU may not like the Lanikai after you actually get it and may even prefer your Fender. I have played one of those Lanikai Mango ukuleles and I liked it, but I would not pay that much for one, but that's just me. Only you will know what makes sense for you.

Oh, and as long as I am rambling here, for the same $ from the same store I would buy
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/pono-mt-tenor-mahogany
but again, that's just me!

Haha I'm glad you enjoyed my flurry! I do realize that I have to try it out before I buy but the shops located near me which specialize in ukes are somewhat far and I'm on a tight money constraint with no car! As far as the Fender goes, it was good but just not what I was expecting (I guess my expectation were too high!) I'm also getting a killer deal on that mango and it also has a return policy if anything. Any opinions on the actual Lanikai Spalted Mango I posted?

P.S. I kind of jumped the trigger and already bought it! Got it for an awesome price.

I own that model, and I like it a lot. The intonation is fine, and as a bonus, the instrument is very pretty.

Hey Kem, I'm glad to hear a proud owner! I'm even more glad to hear that the intonation is fine because thats the one thing I heard about these that might be off! Anything to compare the sound tone to in terms of wood grains?

Hey Kem, I'm glad to hear a proud owner! I'm even more glad to hear that the intonation is fine because thats the one thing I heard about these that might be off! Anything to compare the sound tone to in terms of wood grains?

As per your PM request, I did you a recording of me noodling (lots of mistakes, especially considering that I've mostly been playing my concert lately; also, I think the humidity is playing havoc with the tuning). It's here. Bear in mind that 1) you can't really tell what one instrument is going to sound like by listening to another one with different strings, a different set-up, and a different player, and 2) I recorded the noodling on my crappy laptop speakers, which could make a recently tuned Steinway played by a concert pianist sound bad.

As per your PM request, I did you a recording of me noodling (lots of mistakes, especially considering that I've mostly been playing my concert lately; also, I think the humidity is playing havoc with the tuning). It's here. Bear in mind that 1) you can't really tell what one instrument is going to sound like by listening to another one with different strings, a different set-up, and a different player, and 2) I recorded the noodling on my crappy laptop speakers, which could make a recently tuned Steinway played by a concert pianist sound bad.

Wow, thanks Kem, sounds very bright and medley.

Top Bottom