Tuning new strings

Flycracker

Reaction score
First time restringing Uke. Using a tuner after installing new strings. Using G string, as I tighten up there are two g positions, are there not? If so, do I pass low g and keep tuning up to the next g? Or am I off in the jungle, lost. GCEA.

How about stretching strings? Should I try to stretch and retune, or just tune and retune as needed?
If nothing else, this is sure keeping me well occupied.
Rich

I'm not sure about that. I would think it was the higher 'g' that you want. How about using an online tuner that plays the note for you so you will have an idea of what you are aiming for? http://ukeschool.com/ukulele/lessons/ukulele_tuner.html

I would say that its a good idea to stretch the strings a little and retune. It seems to help them settle in quicker and start to stay in tune properly. It might take a while depending on the strings but stretching them out from the bottle a little will speed up the process.

Cheers -F

Did you put on a set with a high G or a low G? A high G string will be thinner, about the diameter of your A string. A low G string will be thicker than your C string.

This. If you have low G the frequency will be 196. The high G will be 320 or so. Don't try to tune low G as high or visa versa - it just won't work :)

What they said! I'm not sure why I presumed you were talking about a Soprano. Of course a Soprano wouldn't not necesscarily have high g' but usually they would.
-F

Aloha Rich,
Many new stringers have this problem...going a whole note above...even when using a tuner...the simplest way I do it is to listed for the my dog has fleas tunes..if it sounds off then you undertuned..
don't go and over tighten them too to the string snaps, bridge pulls off..or even worse you have neck problems like a bent neck... go slow and take your time...
As for breaking in the strings.. tune your uke, then bend your strings side to side indivdually each one 3-4 times and retune ..do the 3-4 more... daily until
the strings break in and hold their tuning....Hope it helps..MM Stan... if you need more help just ask..http://www.metronomes.net/CherubChromaticMateWst-550C.htm

Last edited:
With a tenor uke , high G. Was just using the G as an example. Have a Snark chromatic tuner to use.

Thanks guys, think I got it now.

If you know that for example your C string is in
tune,why not use 'relative tuning' to get the rest
in tune? This is standard practice on most stringed
instruments and something that most ukulele players
who I know,do NOT know how to do! Plenty of diagrams
how to do this online,just Google 'Relative Tuning' for
Ukulele.

Top Bottom