PDA

View Full Version : Cerritos Ukulele Festival 2011?

salukulady
07-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Has anyone even heard if this is happening this year? I can't find any info on it. I know last year they didn't even announce the dates until August.

itsme
07-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I was just looking for info on it yesterday and came up with nothing. Their site still has last year's info.

http://www.californiaukulelefestival.com/

SailingUke
07-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Has anyone even heard if this is happening this year? I can't find any info on it. I know last year they didn't even announce the dates until August.

I think it is a secret handshake society.

CoLmes
07-06-2011, 06:56 PM
They seem to like announcing the details a few weeks beforehand.....

sukie
07-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Aldrine said it wasn't happening. They went bankrupt last year.

Pueo
07-07-2011, 03:28 AM
Bummer !

Lori
07-07-2011, 04:42 AM
I have heard it will happen, but maybe a different location. Because of the location change (due to high costs at the old venue) there is a lot to organize and plan. Don't count it out yet. It might also be held in late September instead of early October, and it will be scaled down to bring down costs. Probably no concert, just local players and uke groups. I am sure it will be like last year, in that the website info will be posted close to the event.

–Lori

SailingUke
07-07-2011, 05:09 AM

I have attended many ukulele festivals and have made the following observation. There is and always will be a Hawaiian influence in ukulele.
Since the instrument is a big part of Hawaiian music this is understandable. The ukulele as branched into so many other genres of music that to have a festival with such a heavy Hawaiian influence seems to me to be limiting the draw.
The Cerritos festival appeared to me last year to have done that.

I love ukulele music period !! To limit myself to only one genre would take much of the joy I get from playing such a wonderful instrument.
So, in my humble opinion a ukulele festival to feature all ukulele music and welcome all players no matter what their playing level and genre is.

sukie
07-07-2011, 07:24 AM
I have heard it will happen, but maybe a different location. Because of the location change (due to high costs at the old venue) there is a lot to organize and plan. Don't count it out yet. It might also be held in late September instead of early October, and it will be scaled down to bring down costs. Probably no concert, just local players and uke groups. I am sure it will be like last year, in that the website info will be posted close to the event.

–Lori

That is great to know, Lori.

Lori
07-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I just got confirmation from Stephane that the Southern California Ukulele Festival will be held on September 24, 2011 in Anaheim California. Details will be posted on their website soon.

–Lori

Pueo
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
I just got confirmation from Stephane that the Southern California Ukulele Festival will be held on September 24, 2011 in Anaheim California. Details will be posted on their website soon.

–Lori
Hooray !

wickedwahine11
07-08-2011, 12:20 PM

–Lori

Awww, I'm out of town then. :( I'll have to catch them next year.

SailingUke
07-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Same weekend for Burning Uke in Big Sur, another year I won't go South.
Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz, does too good a job on Burning Uke.

itsme
07-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Same weekend for Burning Uke in Big Sur, another year I won't go South.
Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz, does too good a job on Burning Uke.
That's a shame. While it's not like they're in each other's back yards, I imagine a lot of people (like vendors and performers) routinely travel to festivals and will have to pick one over the other, and since the Santa Cruz festival is bigger and was announced sooner, probably more have already committed to it.

salukulady
07-08-2011, 01:42 PM

–LoriThank you Lori. If you hear more before the website is updated, let us know, please.

Lori
07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I just got the vendor application, so here is some more info:

September 24, 2011 at The Muzeo Plaza - 241 S. Anaheim Blvd - Anaheim, CA. 92805. The operation hours for the event are 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

I spoke to Uncle Charlie last May, he said the vendor areas and stages will be free to the public, and there would be fees for workshops. His plan at that time was to have a tree lined street (you can see it in google maps) with a stage at each end. One stage for uke club performances, and the other for jamming.

As far as I know this is the only uke fest that is close enough to Los Angeles to make it an easy day trip. So for those who live in the area, you don't have to get a hotel to attend this one.

–Lori

salukulady
07-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Wow, that was quick! Thank you Lori.

Dan Uke
07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
I just got the vendor application, so here is some more info:

September 24, 2011 at The Muzeo Plaza - 241 S. Anaheim Blvd - Anaheim, CA. 92805. The operation hours for the event are 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

I spoke to Uncle Charlie last May, he said the vendor areas and stages will be free to the public, and there would be fees for workshops. His plan at that time was to have a tree lined street (you can see it in google maps) with a stage at each end. One stage for uke club performances, and the other for jamming.

As far as I know this is the only uke fest that is close enough to Los Angeles to make it an easy day trip. So for those who live in the area, you don't have to get a hotel to attend this one.

–Lori

I guess it won't be called the Cerritos Uke Fest anymore!! I'll mark the date!!

Lori
07-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I guess it won't be called the Cerritos Uke Fest anymore!! I'll mark the date!!
Officially, it was always the Southern California Ukulele Festival.

–Lori

kupo.ukulele
07-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Officially, it was always the Southern California Ukulele Festival.

–Lori

Hey lori wanted to ask you what is the website of this event ? :D

Lori
07-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey lori wanted to ask you what is the website of this event ? :D
They haven't updated the web site yet. Here is the link from last year.
–Lori

UkeMariachi
08-04-2011, 11:05 PM
I had a great time last year and am looking forward to this years festival. I'm glad you did some detective work to find out if it was happening. Thanks Lori

aspieman456
08-05-2011, 07:01 AM
I haven't went there last year so I think I might go.

Ukulele Jim
08-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Glad to hear this is happening, I look forward to it.

I always thought it might be fun to play a show at one of these. Maybe someday.

Lori
08-17-2011, 06:21 PM
They just updated their website with the new info for Anaheim!
–Lori

jinny
09-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Ugh...

I don't know what this will do to attendance, but it seems that the festival has been moved to the following week... I think that's Saturday, October 1.

It's really late in the game, but a little bird tells me that a bunch of the workshop instructors couldn't commit to the original date... I'm guessing because of conflicting commitments with another uke fest north of here. Regardless, its moved, and the instructors can make that next week.

Added bonus, a bunch of vendors that are set to do the Pacific Islanders Fest in SD can now do the new date for the SoCal Uke fest.

I can't tell if this is good or bad...

I think it's good... although its probably a bit of a ding on the organizer's credibility to organize. But I say we cut them some slack, they are still learning the ropes, having only recently taken the reigns. I'm just glad the events haven't completely disappeared.

salukulady
09-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Ugh...

I don't know what this will do to attendance, but it seems that the festival has been moved to the following week... I think that's Saturday, October 1.

It's really late in the game, but a little bird tells me that a bunch of the workshop instructors couldn't commit to the original date... I'm guessing because of conflicting commitments with another uke fest north of here. Regardless, its moved, and the instructors can make that next week.

Added bonus, a bunch of vendors that are set to do the Pacific Islanders Fest in SD can now do the new date for the SoCal Uke fest.

I can't tell if this is good or bad...

I think it's good... although its probably a bit of a ding on the organizer's credibility to organize. But I say we cut them some slack, they are still learning the ropes, having only recently taken the reigns. I'm just glad the events haven't completely disappeared.Maybe they should update their website.....where did you hear this?

jinny
09-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Website for the festival hasn't been updated yet. I hope my info is correct.
Maybe its just an elaborate trick to keep me from celebrating all that is uke.

Lori
09-14-2011, 01:26 PM
I haven't heard anything about a date change yet, and I know at least one Uke Group that is performing and they still are listing the 24th. As a vendor, I would hope they would contact me soon if this is true.

–Lori

SailingUke
09-14-2011, 01:28 PM

I think these festival folks like to play it close to the vest, like the San Diego group.

janeray1940
09-14-2011, 01:30 PM

A friend is with one of the groups that was scheduled to perform on the 24th. She told me the group leader got a call this morning from the festival organizer saying that the date has changed to 10/1.

jinny
09-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Sadly, notification of this change may be painfully slow because the normal contact, Stephanie, is unexpectedly out of town (in Europe) until next week. So notification of this very last minute change is being left to Uncle Charley; who may not be as deft at communications as we would like. Vendors, especially, may get short shrift since Uncle Charley is probably more used to dealing mainly with the entertainment portions of the festivals they organize.

By the way, I only found this stuff out because i am planning to be a food vendor at the event and I didn't want to drive down to Anaheim from the north San Fernando valley (an hour away without traffic) without double checking all the into so we were pressing them for some items like whether they were providing sinks, power, water, etc. So luckily we got the info today, just before we headed down to get our licenses and submit for health permits... So according to our paperwork I'm ready to vend spam musubis and 100% kona coffee on the 1st of October.

Assuming that everything is a go and I get my stand up and running, if any of you UUers stop by my stand ( it's called "Moo-Soo-Bee") and can work up the nerve to play a tune on my electric Sponge Bob pineapple uke, I'll give you the Kama'aina special (half off order)... If you let me record your performance for posting on the internets, I'll give you a musubi free! (I would ask for the Bambucha musubi... its Bambucha!!).

janeray1940
09-14-2011, 03:43 PM
100% kona coffee

Oh thank goodness! Last year at Cerritos there was NO COFFEE anywhere!

I know that transition is hard, but I think the way the festival has been handled this year has been rather unfortunate. I've been debating if I'll even attend or not since there has been no announcement of who is performing or giving workshops.

Lori
09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I felt that last years festival seemed somewhat loosely planned, but was surprised at the number of sales I got for one day. Not sure how it will work out this year, but at least it is local, and the last one I plan to attend as a vendor this year. If it has moved to Oct 1, I will still be able to be there.

–Lori

Pueo
09-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Assuming that everything is a go and I get my stand up and running, if any of you UUers stop by my stand ( it's called "Moo-Soo-Bee") and can work up the nerve to play a tune on my electric Sponge Bob pineapple uke, I'll give you the Kama'aina special (half off order)... If you let me record your performance for posting on the internets, I'll give you a musubi free! (I would ask for the Bambucha musubi... its Bambucha!!).
Oh I am *SO* doing this!

itsme
09-15-2011, 10:17 AM
I know that transition is hard, but I think the way the festival has been handled this year has been rather unfortunate. I've been debating if I'll even attend or not since there has been no announcement of who is performing or giving workshops.
I think "unfortunate" is a bit of an understatement. They announce it barely a month in advance (when the NorCal festival for April 2012 has already been announced) and then ten days away they change the date, don't update their site and don't even inform their vendors?

Lori may have some flexibility being local, but what about other vendors and performers flying in for the fest? I saw MGM in Cerritos last year (I know his health prevents him from attending this time around) and he had a crew and gazillions of ukes with him. Logistically, that's not the type of thing you can just change at the drop of a hat at the last minute.

janeray1940
09-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I think "unfortunate" is a bit of an understatement.

LOL! I was trying to be gentle :)

salukulady
09-15-2011, 11:35 AM
LOL! I was trying to be gentle :)Yes.....I suspect it shall be a very small affair this year for obvious reasons.

jinny
09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Oh I am *SO* doing this!
Bring it!!! :D

jinny
09-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Oh thank goodness! Last year at Cerritos there was NO COFFEE anywhere!

In terms of concessions, there wasn't much of anything last year... There was the luau and concerts at the end of the event which was okay, but general attendees got a mediocre offering... I remember standing in line for nachos.

That's sorta why I agreed to do this event. As a one day affair, it's tough to justify all the work that goes into setting up my stand, but I thought musubis would be well received. The kona coffee is just because I love coffee. I can't say that kona is high on my personal list of great coffees, but it seems more appropriate for these Hawaiian-y festivals. It's still pretty good. It's roasted from green beans just before the event. There's been a drought in kona for a while (past couple harvests) so it's tough to get green kona beans out... the recent crops are expensive and still not as good as Kona can be... Still pretty good tho. I don't use it as an excuse to mark it up like crazy, so if you get coffee from my stand, at minimum, you are getting a relative bargain. Ooo too much talk about coffee. I forget sometimes. Did I mention that I love coffee?

salukulady
09-16-2011, 05:28 AM
Still no update on their website.....ya gotta wonder.

Lori
09-16-2011, 06:08 AM
I still haven't been contacted yet. I wonder when Stephanie will be back in town? I am curious on how long it will be before they notify me about the change.

I did a google search for "anaheim ukulele festival" and got this listing http://www.sarahmaisel.com/california-ukulele-festival-100111-muzeo-plaza-anaheim-ca

–Lori

SailingUke
09-16-2011, 06:08 AM
Still no update on their website.....ya gotta wonder.

I really do hate to be critical, but some folks just should not run a festival.
I made an effort this year to get to as many festivals as I could.
My list includes, Gorge Fest, Reno-Tahoe, Smoldering Uke, West Coast Ukulele Retreat, San Diego, Wine Country and Burning Uke 9 (next week).
All were excellent and well organized. The San Diego Festival was the first and had a few glitches, but was a nice gathering.
Elaine does a great job gathering top performers and teachers for both WCUR & WCUF.

itsme
09-16-2011, 09:25 AM
I really do hate to be critical, but some folks just should not run a festival.
Yeah, seriously. :rolleyes:

Having passion for the music doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with having the requisite business acumen to pull off a successful festival.

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They didn't update their site, didn't bother notifying vendors like Lori, and they never did post a schedule of workshops or performers.

Sorry, but I think I'll skip this one.

CoLmes
09-16-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm just happy because me and Faricelli almost flew in for this festival. We would have been very screwed.

Ronnie Aloha
09-16-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm torn, on one hand this festival has just gone to the pits under the new management. Even with the change in dates, are there even going to be workshops? Wouldn't the instructors have to be flexible on this too let alone the vendors. On the other hand, there isn't really an alternative for those in the Los Angeles area. San Diego would be the closest option and that is two hours away and over multiple days requiring hotel accommodations.

Then again, Jinny's bumbucha musubis....

Pueo
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm just happy because me and Faricelli almost flew in for this festival. We would have been very screwed.
Nah, we would have had our own fun.

CoLmes
09-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Nah, we would have had our own fun.

That's true but still woulda been nice to have a fest too lol

Lori
09-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Well, Uncle Charlie called me today, and notified me of the change. He said other events in the area were preventing many key vendors and workshop teachers from attending on the 24th. So, hopefully, that is why we hadn't seen the workshop schedule yet.... because of those conflicts. As far as I know, this is the closest Ukulele Fest to the main Los Angeles/ Orange county area. So, I for one, will not miss it. At last, a Uke Fest without a hotel room needed.

–Lori

jinny
09-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I think all the info on the site is now correct. I guess it's been fixed for a while, I just didn't check till today.

I understand the frustration that this change has caused. And I don't really know how it's going to affect the attendance... But I love Ukes! So, I'll be there. I could use another Ukeleash. Oh yeah, if you make it out, eat some Musubi! :)

ricdoug
09-22-2011, 07:22 AM
From their website:

http://www.californiaukulelefestival.com/event/ukefest2011/performers.php

http://www.californiaukulelefestival.com/event/ukefest2011/workshops.php

2011 UKULELE CLUBS - MAIN STAGE
10:30 - 11:00 am ………. Aloha Ohana Pickers
11:15 - 11:45 am ………. Lucky Keli`iholoka`i & da Brudduhz
12:00 - 12:30 pm ………. Kamaki’s Maika`i Jammers
12:45 - 1:15 pm ………. Hawaiian Legend Serenaders
1:30 - 2:00 pm ………. Uncle Lincoln’s Ukes
2:15 - 2:45 pm ………. La Habra High Ukulele Ensemble
3:00 - 3:30 pm ………. Sara Maisel
3:45 - 4:15 pm ………. Jumpin Fleas Circus
4:30 - 5:00 pm ………. Brian Vasquez
5:15 - 5:45 pm ………. Mele Ohana
6:00 - 6:30 pm ………. Moana
7:00 - 8:00 pm ………. Tago Lei Pasifika

California Ukulele Festival 2011 Workshops
The workshops will bring together an eclectic mixture of established and new instructors in a setting that combines ambiance and comfort into a productive but calm environment of learning, creativity, and musical self awareness.

The Facility
The Carnegie Building, a historical three story structure, will host the workshops in five uniquely different gallery rooms and is located on the NW corner of the Muzeo Plaza (the intersection of Anaheim Blvd. and Broadway Avenue). Check-in will be at the street level entrance and there is an elevator.

The Instructors
Some instructors include; Festival Ukulele favorites Ali Lexa, Lincoln Kaio, Pete Kahele on Steel Guitar, Miles Kaawa on beginning slack key guitare, and Ukulele newcomers Brian Vasquez, Noel Calucag, Sarah Masiel. The courses will cover everything from strums and strumming techniques; finger picking and different styles of playing and application, to learning sing-a-long songs and Hawaiian music.
STUDIO - STUDIO A
10:00 - 11:00 am
11:15 - 12:15 pm
1:15 - 2:15 pm
2:30 - 3:30 pm Lincoln Kaio - Hawaiian Music & The Uke
Lincoln Kaio - Hawaiian Music & The Uke
Noel Calucag - Ukulele Strumming & Finger Picking
Noel Calucag - Ukulele Strumming & Finger Picking
TURNER CONSTRUCTION GALLERY - STUDIO B
10:00 to 11:00 am
11:15 to 12:15 pm
1:15 to 2:15 pm
2:30 to 3:30 pm David Montoya - Bar Chords, Scales & Beyond
David Montoya - Bar Chords, Scales & Beyond
Miles Kaawa - Beginning Slack Key Guitar
Miles Kaawa - Beginning Slack Key Guitar
KABEL DISCOVERY ROOM - STUDIO C
1:00 to 2:00 pm
2:15 to 3:15 pm Ali Lexa - Blues & Jazz Improvisation
Bryan Vasquez - Pupule Picking
(TBD)
Bryan Vasquez - Pupule Picking
SOUTH GALLERY - STUDIO D

1:15 to 2:15 pm
2:30 to 3:30 pm Sarah Masiel - Moving up the Fret board
Sarah Masiel - Fancy Fingers
Chuck Kaimikaua - Beginning Slack Key Guitar
Chuck Kaimikaua - Beginning Slack Key Guitar

ricdoug
09-29-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm going and will work as a volunteer. I'm really looking forward to tasting Jinny's bumbucha musubis!!! Lori's Uke Leash's are da' bomb, too!!! I'll be easy to find. I'm the middle aged fat guy wearing an aloha shirt. If that's not easy enough, call me on my cell (760)458-6656. My number one project right now, is getting Aldrine, Rayan and Aaron on the bill for the next San Diego Ukulele Festival. They not only deserve it, they've earned it. Ric

itsme
10-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Anyone got pics to post?

ricdoug
10-03-2011, 11:35 AM
I'll post photo's and video later this week, itsme. I took them all on my Droid. I met Jinny and had both lunch and dinner at his concession. I had the bumbucha musubi for lunch - two huge Spam Steaks, tons of sticky rice, superb spicing all wrapped in a king sized blanket of nori seaweed. the bumbucha musubi was so big it would choke a pitbull! As for attendance, there were about 1,500 in and out. Lot's of vendors and great performances. The sound engineer was on top of each performance. I was surprized at the large turnout, inspite of moving it forward a week. Ric

CoLmes
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
How many were there the year before when UU was there?

SailingUke
10-03-2011, 02:01 PM
"there were about 1,500 in and out. Lot's of vendors and great performances. The sound engineer was on top of each performance. I was surprized at the large turnout, inspite of moving it forward a week. Ric"

I am totally surprised at 1,500. I am guessing, that's more than Reno, Wine Country, & San Diego combined.

Dan Uke
10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
I was there from about 5:45 - 6:15 and I was very disappointed as there wasn't that many people. I guess I missed the crowd. This was my first festival so wasn't sure what to expect but I thought there would be lots of people just jamming

Ronnie Aloha
10-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I did not attend but checked ahead to see if it was worth attending. I was informed there were only six booths and three food booths. I decided to pass. I heard attendance was sparse except for the groups that were actually performing.

ricdoug
10-03-2011, 05:04 PM
I was there from about 5:45 - 6:15 and I was very disappointed as there wasn't that many people. I guess I missed the crowd. This was my first festival so wasn't sure what to expect but I thought there would be lots of people just jamming

You got there at the end. I left around 5:30. It was winding down right aftr Brian Vasquez performed. I would have stayed, but I promissed my wife I'd take her to a late evening movie in Vista - "Killer Elite". Lot's of action. Ric

ricdoug
10-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I am totally surprised at 1,500. I am guessing, that's more than Reno, Wine Country, & San Diego combined.

It surprized me too. It was moved forward a week from it's previous date. San Diego had large attendance. I was there all day Saturday earlier this year. I've never been to the Reno or Wine Country festivals. If their attendance is in the mid hundreds, they are more like the Inland Empire Ukulele Festival. I've attended that one twice. 300 to 400 indoors. Mostly seniors, as it's on a weekday:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?26427-SoCal-Inland-Empire-Ukulele-Festival-0504-10...&p=368877#post368877

Videos from the festival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV6SrSv351k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dceNc3Relrw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzG6RPP7VlY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f489Hjuze5g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5BlOZ7HKr8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx5cme3svqY

jinny
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
So after a couple days of rest I'm able to post. As already mentioned, there was a decent crowd, considering the lack of promotion. I suspect that it was mostly people close to the organization like performers with their friends and families and workshop instructors and students and their friends and families. To steal a phrase from the pyramid marketing industry, a "warm market" if you will. The venue doesn't really lend itself to passers-by traffic, so there was little if any casual outside-of-the-community visitors... which, as an enthusiastic uke fan, I would have liked to see more of. The Muzeo seemed to be a great place for holding workshops. The building is the old public library for the city of anaheim, so it has a nice education-y feel conducive to study. Definitely more upscale feel to the workshops than those rec center rooms at Cerritos. Vendor and food was a bit lacking tho. As a food vendor after a limited amount of visitors dollars, I was happy to see only me and one other food vendor (and a third, if you count cookies as food); however, as a visitor, I would have liked to see a bit more variety. As it was, my neighbor, North Shore Catering probably could have handled the entire event, I've seen them at other events, they have a huge variety of Hawaiian stuffs, from plate lunches to shave ice, and they do a good job too... Heck, they even have musubis (mine are better tho ;) ). The biggest issue was that the food was shoved into the corner (for health department compliance reasons) so we didn't get much traffic and worse, I couldn't really hear any of the performances. The event was supposed go till 9pm, but that was really only because they had performances scheduled till 8. In actuality, people started being scarce once the workshops concluded... And some vendors started tearing down really early and leaving by 6. The last couple hours I was just sitting around eating leftover musubis and playing with myself ( figuratively and literally with my spongebob uke). I waited till the bitter end to tear down. I went slowly because i tried to be mindful of the residents of the mixed use buildings nearby... That is until the Disneyland fireworks started... I didn't realize how close we were to "the happiest place on earth"... With THAT racket going, I could make as much noise as I wanted. A long day for me 6am to 10pm... I probably made a hundred bux after expenses. Not really worth it in terms of amount of work and time involved, but I always knew I was there more in support of the festival. I still remember how sad I was having only the choice of nachos to eat at last year's event.

Oh well, still had fun. Met ricdoug! I was hoping he would take me up on my free Musubi with performance offer, but, he didn't... Saw that he came back for more musubis tho! Always a good sign, when customers come back for seconds and thirds. Actually, I saw a bunch of familiar faces. That's fun.

I think it would be cool if they have it at the Muzeo again (assuming it doesn't go away completely). Once they get the kinks worked out, it should be world class.

SailingUke
10-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Three food booths for 1,500 people, you must have done well and had long lines.

Ronnie Aloha
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Jinny,

You would have been one of the reasons I was going to head down there. However, after getting the initial scouting report from someone that played at 10:30 I decided to pass. I know that there were limited choices in food last year and it sounds like it was worse this year. Plus, I knew that MGM wouldn't be there selling his ukes.

I give the organizers credit for putting on the event no matter how much it has fallen by the wayside. No one else is stepping up to do an alternative event so I guess this is what it will be like from now on.

It makes San Diego look like the place to be for those in So. Cal.

ricdoug
10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Oh well, still had fun. Met ricdoug! I was hoping he would take me up on my free Musubi with performance offer, but, he didn't...

Shootz, braddah Jinny.

I read your offer wrong. I always make purchases from vendors at these events and would have performed for free! I thought you were using that Roland Mobile Cube for your own performances. You must have missed my solo at the cookie stand. I bought their sampler pack, too. Shade was an issue. Some of audience members were sitting behind the stage under the awnings and the rest were cramped into the shady patch to the far right in front of the stage. It left me plenty of room to take video in the center where a lot of the chairs were empty. Later in the afternoon i was shooting video from my SportBrella Chair on the mezzanine to the left of the stage. I never saw long lines more than 5 or 6 at the food vendors, but always saw at least one or two in line. There were a lot of breakout jams in the walkway just to the left of the workshops, where 2 to 5 at a time would jam together. I saw a lot of people I know. It was a constantly rotating crowd. Many can't take more than a couple of hours in the still heat. They're already talking about using that green tennis court mesh fabric for shade, putting entertainment on both ends of the vendors and running the workshops later in the day to create more vendor traffic. Lori's Uke Leash area always had customers there, too. Ric

ricdoug
10-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I give the organizers credit for putting on the event no matter how much it has fallen by the wayside. No one else is stepping up to do an alternative event so I guess this is what it will be like from now on.

It makes San Diego look like the place to be for those in So. Cal.

My friend Uncle Roddy has been increasing ukulele involvement at his events http://www.hawaiiuncleroddy.com/ , Ronnie. The Huntington Beach ukulele crowd is working on a ukulele picnic event. There's a ukulele retreat this weekend:

Dear Ukulele Fans,

As you already know we were not able to go to Camp Morning Star on September 20 because an oil tanker haad spilled on the road. It has taken a full week to get the spill cleand up and now the road is open again.

We now have OCTOBER 18, 2011 as the day we may go to the Camp and use the lodge for our Ukulele Retreat.

The Loma Linda Ukulele Strummers are inviting other clubs to join us on our Camp Morning Star one day Retreat. New date is OCTOBER 18, 2011. Please let us know about how many will be coming. This is our third annual retreat at the camp!
CAMP MORNING STAR
42727 Hiway # 38
Angeles Oaks, California
9:00 am to 3:00 pm in the Lodge
No admission fee!!!

Please bring your own lunch, music stand, music, your ukulele, a friend and a jacket in case it is cool. There will be times for individual performances! It will be very informal and lots of fun. The lodge can accomodate a large group so we hope many will decide to come whether they play a ukulele or not.

Directions if you need them - From Yucaipa or Mentone take Hiway 38 , past Forrest Home turn off and up the mountain , past Angeles Oaks, past Jenks Lake Road, Past Barton Flats Public Campgrounds on your left, and a short distance on your right to Camp Morning Star, 42727Hiway # 38. (If you go to the second Jenks Lake turnoff you have gone too far!) Go to the Lodge where we will be meeting! Glen Clement will be our Master of Ceremonies and this will be a great fun time.

Joan Revel and the Loma Linda Ukulele Strummers
909-796-8934

Lori
10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't think The Anaheim Uke Fest was bigger than Reno or San Diego, or Wine Country. It didn't feel like 1500 people. We closed up before nightfall when we realized there were no lights or electrical hook ups to light the booths. It is really hard to sell stuff in the dark with a flashlight (found that out in San Diego... electricity was extra $). I was hoping there might be some street lights for the complex, but I didn't see any. The shoppers had stopped browsing by around 5 or 5:30, and some of the other booths were packing up. My poor husband had patiently endured the long day, and I didn't want to burn out my sales force. Got to keep him in good shape for the next one, after all.

I am really glad they put most of the vendors in the shade, between the buildings. We would have roasted if we had been in the area next to the stage. We could hear the music from the stage most of the day, and it was very pleasant. The audience needed more shade, that's for sure. Who knows how many people they might have if they posted the date/time and workshop info a month or two in advance (and didn't change the date).

For a one day event, sales for us were decent. But only because we were local and didn't have a lot of extra expenses. People had bought Uke Leashes last year at Cerritos, so we got some return business from them, and some new customers. We do this mostly to spread the word about the Uke Leash, knowing every satisfied customer will tell a friend or two. Next year we may target Uke Fests that we haven't attended before, to get a new pool of unaware but needy uke players.
–Lori

itsme
10-04-2011, 04:06 PM
I am really glad they put most of the vendors in the shade, between the buildings. We would have roasted if we had been in the area next to the stage.
Glad it worked out for you, Lori. :)

Was that your own EZUp? We have one we bought when we were racing RC cars where we'd otherwise be in the sun during long pit times. Takes two people to set up but it's definitely worth it. Not a problem in a vehicle, but not really something you could take on a flight to distant festivals.

Love the tag line on your sign that says "Teach your uke to 'stay'." :)

Lori
10-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Glad it worked out for you, Lori. :)

Was that your own EZUp? We have one we bought when we were racing RC cars where we'd otherwise be in the sun during long pit times. Takes two people to set up but it's definitely worth it. Not a problem in a vehicle, but not really something you could take on a flight to distant festivals.

Love the tag line on your sign that says "Teach your uke to 'stay'." :)

We borrowed my brother-in-law's EZup canopy, which we were grateful for. We have no storage room for that kind of thing, and he already owned it because he was a soccer coach. If I were to buy one, I would get one a little taller. But, I don't expect to get enough local use from it to justify buying one. I only do Uke Fests, no Aloha/ Hawaiian/ general Polynesian festivals. Many Uke Fests provide shade as part of the booth fee.

–Lori

Ronnie Aloha
10-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Lori, glad to hear your husband was there to help you set up. If I was sure I was going to attend I would have checked with you to see if you needed help setting up again.

Ric, thanks for the link. I'm familiar with the group "Oahu" since they perform in a lot of venues. Hopefully he can put something together.

Lori
10-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Lori, glad to hear your husband was there to help you set up. If I was sure I was going to attend I would have checked with you to see if you needed help setting up again.

Ric, thanks for the link. I'm familiar with the group "Oahu" since they perform in a lot of venues. Hopefully he can put something together.
Thanks Ronnie.
Last year at Cerritos I had to go it solo, but got lots of help from the UU community and members of the Canogahana Players. You guys are the very best. I just posted the rest of the photos from the Uke Fest here.
http://gallery.me.com/apthorp#100178&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=0
–Lori

didgeridoo2
10-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Nice pics, Lori.