What string for Low G?

haharobots

Reaction score
My music teacher gave me one, I think he said it was a G string for a classical guitar. I put it on, but when I tune it to 193 it seems too loose and floppy! Any suggestions?? My uke is a soprano, if that matters.

My music teacher gave me one, I think he said it was a G string for a classical guitar. I put it on, but when I tune it to 193 it seems too loose and floppy! Any suggestions?? My uke is a soprano, if that matters.

I don't know that you should use a guitar's G string for a soprano uke. The tension required to bring it into tune would not be healthy for your lil fella. And, while I may be wrong, I don't know that soprano 'ukuleles should have a low G to begin with. Again, there may be a tension problem.

For what it's worth, if you want to give it a go, you could get a single low G string for a concert and try that, as it may be adequate for use on a soprano.

The more experienced guys can either confirm this or steer you in a better direction.

I've always been told to use a D classical string...not G. Haven't tried it though.

I use Worth brown medium tensions on my concert uke - they're for soprano or concert ukes. The string gauge on the low G is .0358"(.91mm), so whatever classical guitar string is about the same gauge would work. But definitely NOT the same string as the guitar uses for the same note because that string on the guitar is over twice the length.

I use a classical guitar D string for the low G on my tenor. But I don't think I'd try it on my sopranos. You can get single string Aquila low Gs for different uke sizes at JustStrings.com. This is the one for soprano:

http://www.juststrings.com/aqu-asslwg-1.html

Or you can get a full set of strings from various companies that includes a low G.

Low G is lost on a soprano body- why bother?

Why do you say that? Why is the low G lost on a soprano? I'm just curious as I thought about trying it out, thats all.

Cheers -F

Or you can get a full set of strings from various companies that includes a low G.

Ahh, I didn't realize you could buy a low G meant for a uke. I think I'm going to give the Worths a try on both my ukes. Can someone make a recommendation for tension? I mainly use my soprano for finger-picking and my concert for strumming.

Why do you say that? Why is the low G lost on a soprano? I'm just curious as I thought about trying it out, thats all.

Cheers -F

some folks don't like low g on a soprano as the smaller body just seems to project higher notes better.
The short scale also hinders the string, but that guy IZ played a low g and he did ok.
All you can do is try and see if it is what you are looking for. I tried a soprano low g and was unhappy, but the tenor and super concert sound great.

Try a classical guitar "d" string you should be able to tune it to tension and pitch. An unwound string probably will NOT work on the short scale of a soprano.

some folks don't like low g on a soprano as the smaller body just seems to project higher notes better.
The short scale also hinders the string, but that guy IZ played a low g and he did ok.
All you can do is try and see if it is what you are looking for. I tried a soprano low g and was unhappy, but the tenor and super concert sound great.

Try a classical guitar "d" string you should be able to tune it to tension and pitch. An unwound string probably will NOT work on the short scale of a soprano.

I see! Thank you!

Here are some of my most favorite and inspirational examples of low G soprano playing.

Top Bottom