quick questions

bec11mort

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to UU so I just have a couple of quick questions.

First, what is your best piece of advice that you would give to someone just trying to learn to play the ukulele?

Second, when I am switching chords (even when I'm not strumming) the strings make noises when I move my fingers. Is it just that I have "sticky fingers" literally or is this something I am doing wrong? (It also could be due to the uke I'm using since I am practicing on a really inexpensive souvenir with plastic strings until my new uke comes). I want to make sure that this isn't a technical problem that will be harder to solve later if I'm "set in my ways."

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Aloha bec11mort,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...have fun and enjoy...for motivation and inspiration watch some you tube videos and then look up the chords and try the songs..or google Musicteacher2010
and paxukulele for awesome ukulele video tutorials and Dr Uke for chords, songs, and instructions..and don't worry about the minor sounds for your fingers lifting off the strings..when you strum
you cant hear them.... Happy Strummings.. MM Stan

Last edited:
First, what is your best piece of advice that you would give to someone just trying to learn to play the ukulele?

Practice when you can, but DO put some practice in just before you go to bed, and in general when practicing, be hydrated, go slow, and when you are muffing up, stop, have a break for at least 10 mins....

Practicing is about building pathways in the brain, the more often the pathways are used the quicker/more accurately the information is transferred. There is no such thing as "muscle memory", they are controlled by your brain

Second, when I am switching chords (even when I'm not strumming) the strings make noises when I move my fingers. Is it just that I have "sticky fingers" literally or is this something I am doing wrong? (It also could be due to the uke I'm using since I am practicing on a really cheep souvineer with plastic strings until my new uke comes). I want to make sure that this isn't a technical problem that will be harder to solve later if I'm "set in my ways."

Thanks everyone!

practise doesn't have to be formal. It is better to play your uke 5 minutes a day for a week than 1 hour one day a week.

Also, uke strings are plastic or nylon or nyglut. They aren't steel like a guitar.

...what is your best piece of advice that you would give to someone just trying to learn to play the ukulele?
Practice.

Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Repeat as required.

...cheep souvineer
Cheep? Never had a uke sound like a bird. Is it more a chirp than a whistle? You might have your hands on the wrong sort of instrument. Perhaps it is a flute?

A souvineer, like a mountaineer or pioneer, would be likely a person who is engaged with issues concerning Souvin or the Souvins, which is a family name. Do you mean "souvenir"? As in a memento, a keepsake or a token of remembrance you acquired for the memories associated with it?

As Uncle Rod says that for some of us, playing songs may not be the best way to learn how to play. They are fun, and keep us interested, but you must master the basics sooner or later. Many of us have found that Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp a great way to learn chords, then progress to more advanced techniques. I have had difficulty over the years learning to play, but, especially with my old brain, there is still nothing like practice, etc. etc. I do things easily that just 6 months ago were a bit tricky because I hadn't mastered the fundamentals and I was trying to progress too quickly. Be patient, I now use Uncle Rod's Chord exercises as part of my warm up. You will certainly get lots of help here. Good luck.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/QB7udDJq/Free_Booklet_.html

Welcome bec11mort.
I think you're probably on the right track with your playing; just keep at it, and I'm sure you'll see improvement. Also, you'll likely find a big difference moving to a somewhat better instrument.

Cheep? Never had a uke sound like a bird. Is it more a chirp than a whistle? You might have your hands on the wrong sort of instrument. Perhaps it is a flute?

A souvineer, like a mountaineer or pioneer, would be likely a person who is engaged with issues concerning Souvin or the Souvins, which is a family name. Do you mean "souvenir"? As in a memento, a keepsake or a token of remembrance you acquired for the memories associated with it?

Ian, this is not the place to mock new members because they are not as concerned with their spelling as you are. Please be more respectful; this is a place for people to learn and talk about music and ukulele.

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Second, when I am switching chords (even when I'm not strumming) the strings make noises when I move my fingers. Is it just that I have "sticky fingers" literally or is this something I am doing wrong? (It also could be due to the uke I'm using since I am practicing on a really cheep souvineer with plastic strings until my new uke comes). I want to make sure that this isn't a technical problem that will be harder to solve later if I'm "set in my ways."

Could be strings - my fingers hung up a bit on Aquila Nylguts. Or your fingers might be hanging up a bit as your fingers develop callouses.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the UU. My feedback is noted in bold in the body of your post.

stag-albums-random+stuff-picture170-spelling-nazi.jpg

Be, Very Patient.....

You'll get hung up on certain chords at first but, Eventually you Will be able to do it.

Thank you to everyone for the good advice.

I apologize for my spelling but there is no spell check when I am typing on my phone keyboard. In the future I will be more careful with my posting. I did not realize this was the type of forum where I needed someone to proofread my posts for me before asking for help...

I apologize for my spelling but there is no spell check when I am typing on my phone keyboard. In the future I will be more careful with my posting. I did not realize this was the type of forum where I needed someone to proofread my posts for me before asking for help...

It's just his thing, don't take it personally. He's the token crumudgen, crumdgen, crumugen, a little help Ian?

its not. Ian is just that way. Used to be worst but he has gotten better.

Second, when I am switching chords (even when I'm not strumming) the strings make noises when I move my fingers. Is it just that I have "sticky fingers" literally or is this something I am doing wrong? (It also could be due to the uke I'm using since I am practicing on a really inexpensive souvenir with plastic strings until my new uke comes). I want to make sure that this isn't a technical problem that will be harder to solve later if I'm "set in my ways."

Thanks everyone!

Hi, Bec -

Others have already given you good advice (i.e. Practice and Have Fun), but I can offer you some encouragement. I've been at the 'ukulele now for almost 3 months, and have never really played any instrument before in my life. Now, I've reached the point where I can play about a dozen songs well enough so people can almost recognize them. Yes, they are easy songs, but still ...

So, here are my few token words to a fellow n00b -

1. Take your first week or so to just get used to the instrument. How it feels, how to hold it, how to place your hands etc. Just strum it without worrying about making a chord or playing notes. Get used to how your hand moves across the strings, and how to place your finger to hit all four on the up and down strokes. Move your left hand along the fretboard, and try to just get an idea of how hard to press the strings, where they are, and where the frets are.

2. Have fun with this.

3. Set small goals. Start by just making a C chord sound like a C chord. Take your time and deliberately position your fingers into the basic chord shapes before strumming, and strum slowly to make sure all four strings sound clean. Don't worry about switching between chords yet, just make them sound right.

4. Have fun.

5. Slowly begin switching chord positions. Move between easy ones first (A and F, G and C, C and A, etc). Pick a simple song (one with the simple chords), and start slow enough to make the chords sound right, then keep practicing the transitions until you can actually begin to hear the song. Then practice more.

6. Have fun.

7. Keep practicing, and enjoying it. Don't take it as a matter of too much importance, and don't get discouraged. Everyone started out like this. Everyone. And everyone needs to practice (no matter how good they are). Everyone.

8. Have fun.

Remember, the 'ukulele is all about having a good time. The second it stops being fun, take some time away and let yourself recharge. You'll find that in a couple of weeks you'll have made some pretty impressive progress.

And be sure to search for 'ukulele help and tutorials. There are a ton of them on the web. And this is a fantastic resource, too.

Oh, did I mention that you should have fun with it?

It's just his thing, don't take it personally. He's the token crumudgen, crumdgen, crumugen, a little help Ian?

Curmudgeon. a.k.a Mumpsimus. Former newspaper editor. Cantankerous old fart. Irreligious bastard. Language apparatchik. All of the above. I've been called much worse, by the reporters and writers who worked for me.

You can safely ignore the following paragraphs and skip to the final line.

:deadhorse: Sorry if offends anyone, but to me literacy - and with it grammar, spelling, punctuation and all its little collateral demons that haunt us - is not a matter of taste, but a crucial matter of cultural, social and psychological significance. I am passionate almost to the point of obsession about language. I read style books while walking my dog. I make it a point to read Strunk and White annually. I keep a dictionary on my nightstand so when I'm reading in subjects outside my ken at bedtime, I can unwrap their meaning. And not one of those cheap Webster reprints: a fat, hardcover Oxford dictionary.

:deadhorse: I don't believe bad English should merely be accepted, an appeasement to the technology. We don't learn from our mistakes if we never know we made them. Sometimes I can't stop myself from weighing in when the mistakes are egregious. I have been caught myself and humbled to have my mistakes pointed out.

:deadhorse: Language is a tool. Would you play a ukulele with one string out of tune? With two fret wires bent and sticking up? With a warped neck? It's a tool to create music. Language is a tool to create meaning and spelling is like that out-of-tune string, grammar like those fret wires. To effective for for communication, it needs to be in good working order, not a broken instrument.

:deadhorse: I woke up in the middle of the night, a week ago, worrying about a phrase I had used in a book I recently wrote. As soon as I got up, that morning, I turned on the computer and changed a single word. I slept peacefully afterwards. Even after I had submitted it to the publisher, I continued to tinker and tweak it to polish it as best as I could, simply for my own sake. Care to guess how long this post took to write? And rewrite?

And sorry for not saying so, but welcome to the UU. Ignore the above. You still need to pay attention to rule number one: Practice.

Hi, Bec -

Others have already given you good advice (i.e. Practice and Have Fun), but I can offer you some encouragement. I've been at the 'ukulele now for almost 3 months, and have never really played any instrument before in my life. Now, I've reached the point where I can play about a dozen songs well enough so people can almost recognize them. Yes, they are easy songs, but still ...

So, here are my few token words to a fellow n00b -

1. Take your first week or so to just get used to the instrument. How it feels, how to hold it, how to place your hands etc. Just strum it without worrying about making a chord or playing notes. Get used to how your hand moves across the strings, and how to place your finger to hit all four on the up and down strokes. Move your left hand along the fretboard, and try to just get an idea of how hard to press the strings, where they are, and where the frets are.

2. Have fun with this.

3. Set small goals. Start by just making a C chord sound like a C chord. Take your time and deliberately position your fingers into the basic chord shapes before strumming, and strum slowly to make sure all four strings sound clean. Don't worry about switching between chords yet, just make them sound right.

4. Have fun.

5. Slowly begin switching chord positions. Move between easy ones first (A and F, G and C, C and A, etc). Pick a simple song (one with the simple chords), and start slow enough to make the chords sound right, then keep practicing the transitions until you can actually begin to hear the song. Then practice more.

6. Have fun.

7. Keep practicing, and enjoying it. Don't take it as a matter of too much importance, and don't get discouraged. Everyone started out like this. Everyone. And everyone needs to practice (no matter how good they are). Everyone.

8. Have fun.

Remember, the 'ukulele is all about having a good time. The second it stops being fun, take some time away and let yourself recharge. You'll find that in a couple of weeks you'll have made some pretty impressive progress.

And be sure to search for 'ukulele help and tutorials. There are a ton of them on the web. And this is a fantastic resource, too.

Oh, did I mention that you should have fun with it?

Steps 2, 4, 6 & 8 are the MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!

BTW...are you pressing on the strings too hard and that is causing your fingers to "stick"?

HI Bc11mort!

Welcome to UU :D You've gotten some great advice here about practise and checking out the Boot Camp, it's free to do so, Uncle Rod has it in his signature, but just want to welcome you to the forums and the Ukulele! I've been playing 10 months and I'm still what I'd call a "Beginner", maybe advanced before that, but take it slow, it's not a race and remember to have heaps of fun with it, it should bring a smile to your face when you practise, not a grimace! (Hope I've spelt that right!)

Top Bottom