Know anything about Mojo ukuleles?

ukuDaily

Reaction score
I have been searching for a travel ukulele again and stumbled on several apparently made by a guy named George Joseph. He seems to be a pretty creative guy, making ukes in a variety of shapes and sizes, many very small and perfect for traveling.

I am wondering if anyone has seen, heard or played any of his instruments and can speak to the build quality, intonation and string spacing?

For those interested, he said he will be selling about two dozen over the next few weeks. If they play worth a darn, they might be a steal at $100-150 each.

I just bought what he considers his "best creation" for $150. It is an uber-small pear shaped soprano with a really cool case.

Here is a link to the closed auction that has pictures. You can also get to the other ukes he has for sale.

Thats quite a cool little uke alright. The case is very interesting too! I'm curious to find out how it plays....

Cheers -F

He emailed me back and said that he only the ones listed left. Anyone looking for a nice backpack uke might want to check his auctions out.

I thought I would provide some info about this "builder's" "ukuleles", just in case someone thought they may want to take a chance and buy one like I did.
1. The build quality is very rough.
2. The strings are junk.
3. The soundboard is about 1/4" thick
4. The intonation is about as bad as I have ever seen, even though the action is about right. I tuned the A string spot on and then played what should be a C. My electronic tuner said it was a sharp c#. As one might expect, all the strings were about that far off.

Basically, these chunks of wood with strings are not ukuleles, but instead are pieces of folk art, just like the auction says.

I do have to give the seller credit though. In the auction he said "No Returns", but when I complained that the auction description was misleading because he made it sound like this was a playable instrument, he said he would refund my money if I sent it back to him. That was nice of him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom