Tahitian Ukulele

mako

Reaction score
Hi,

Here's a picture of my Tahitian Ukulele.
It's made of hard wood, with 8 strings made with fishing wire, a hole in the back for the resonance, 16 frets and a beautiful white pickgard.
Do you have any of those in Hawaii ?
Peace.

Attachments

• 8strings.jpg
    8strings.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 105
thats what i call a nice ukulele! never seen them before but they look great :D

yep we have those here in hawaii. one of my woodshop teachers had that and he played in a band with other instruments too. it had a bright sound... i think.... if i recall correctly lol

Does anyone know of any quality on-line sites that sell Tahitian Ukuleles?

That's a cool lookin uke. Where did you get yours? tahiti?

In Tahiti. It was a present from my family.
It's made by a guy that sells them near the market place in Papeete.

tripl3thr33 : Yes it sounds really bright... somewhere between a uke and a mandolin.
Tahitians play it fast. It's amazing !!!
I'll try to send you a sound sample.
Peace !

i notice that theyre mostly 8 string. are they tuned like an 8 string? i remember in hawaii at the PCC, they used 30lb test fishing line (ive got a bunch of that) to string em up with. id also be interested in acquiring one if someone knew of a site to get one at. all i saw so far is just info and pictures (beautiful looking instruments).

i think polynesian heritage surf shop in clairemont might sell em. last time i was there they had one. not sure if it was for sale or just display. it's a really small shop attached to the dance studio of hula halau kaleo o'nalani. i think they're located at the corner of balboa and clairemont rd or something like that.

i notice that theyre mostly 8 string. are they tuned like an 8 string? i remember in hawaii at the PCC, they used 30lb test fishing line (ive got a bunch of that) to string em up with. id also be interested in acquiring one if someone knew of a site to get one at. all i saw so far is just info and pictures (beautiful looking instruments).

It's tuned in GCDA but with one octave up for the second & third strings.... considering that it's 4 doubled strings...

And yes it's 28 lbs wire... so if you buy a wind, you have strings for a decade !!!!
Peace & Ukes

I put together a document that has info about the Tahitian uke (where to buy, YouTube videos, etc). It was frustrating trying to find any information when I was looking. I thought this might be helpful for others. You can download it at:

http://files.meetup.com/158468/Tahitian_Ukulele_%26_Language_Doc.pdf

Gerald

Hi,

Here's a picture of my Tahitian Ukulele.
It's made of hard wood, with 8 strings made with fishing wire, a hole in the back for the resonance, 16 frets and a beautiful white pickgard.
Do you have any of those in Hawaii ?
Peace.

ONE WORD:

BEAUTIFUL!

I LOVE the tahitian banjo...

I've had bad luck w/ my different gauges of fishing line tho... so haven't touched it in a while...

check out Jerome Gray play Jonah Lomu! it's INSPIRING!!!

This is my NEW Tahitian uke

Just purchased this Tahitian uke made by KAPONO. made with kauri
Tahitian banjo1.jpgTahitian banjo2.jpgTahitian banjo3.jpgTahitian banjo4.jpg

Top Bottom