new (old) uke day!

DustyElmer

Reaction score
aloha! just scored a circa 1950 Harmony uke at an antique shop for $35! green label, plastic fingerboard. now i just gotta throw some new strings on her and see how she sounds!

Attachments

• Photo 496.jpg
    Photo 496.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Photo 495.jpg
    Photo 495.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 26
A beauty for sure!

i'm having a little trouble with the friction tuners. they don't want to stick, but i think if i can tighten the screws they'll be okay.

okay, so anyone know where i can score some friction pegs that'll fit? they seemed to work fine in the store, but it looks like i got a couple shot ones.

You can likely replace those tuners with "Ping" brand tuners but don't give up on the originals yet.

Here is what I would do, and have done to make those tuners work great:

Take them off the uke, clean them with a rub down of Brasso if you want the metal to look new again. Then, really clean the screws, especially the threads (I twist them in steel wool) and when clean, put a drop of lubricating oil on the threads. Next, twist the screw into and out of the threaded shaft by hand several times while not on the uke. Wipe off any oil on the outside of the shaft. Then, one last step. Put a small galvanized or brass washer between the back of the headstock and the plastic tuner button when you reinstall. This allows the plastic to slide over the metal washer more smoothly as compared to being against the wood headstock, and it allows a bit more play in the threads when screwing in the old screw, so the screw doesn't sit as far down in the shaft.

This should make them work better than new!

By the way, great score for $35!

That's a cool uke, man! What a great find! Enjoy :)

Hope the friction comes back after some TLC - maybe then we could see a video? :D

figured out the problem! the button(s) are stripped. looks like i'll be ordering some pings, and when i do i'm hoping this little uke will be worth the trouble!

Awesome score! I love any old USA made Harmony instrument. Enjoy it!

Dan

Vintage Harmony's are great ukuleles. Here's a shot of the "Harmony/Silvertone/Regal section of our Uke Room. The Cowboy Uke at the top is a generic brand.

HarmonyWall.jpg

just ordered the Pings! should be here within the next few days, then i'll post some playing on this bearcat!

Aloha Dusty,
What a hell of a score...why can't I get lucky like that...Happy strummings...

the funny thing is that the antique shop had a way better selection of ukes at way better prices than the local music store! they had an old Lyon & Healy that had a circular body for $95, 2 or 3 Harmony's, and a couple no-names. there was a BEAUTIFUL koa no-name (with a case) for $250 that i would have bought if i had that kind of money on me! but they have a huge antique show out there every year in August, so i'll be saving my money til then and hoping that koa is still there!

Nice bargain! Hope you manage to get it up and playing soon!

should be ready to go within a week! can't wait! just saw the same uke on Elderly's site for $150, so i'm feeling really good about the deal i got.

Beauty Dusty. She's a sweetie. And great advice Ryan...wow this place is cool. Dusty...is that an "At The Drive In" band tshirt?...I love those guys...

Top Bottom